Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rachel Flowers covers Pirates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rachel Flowers covers Pirates
    Posted: January 11 2019 at 00:39
elpprogster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elpprogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 02:52
How cool! :)

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 08:55
Thanks for posting this. She is quite amazing!!!!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 09:40
This lady is so amazing, great cover of a great song, my fav from the Works era
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 12:03
If she's not a main part of the 50th anniversary tribute that Carl is planning them someone needs to have their pee pee slapped but hard.

Just sayin' !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 07:06
Hi,

Yeah ... what next?

Total wow and then some ... I would love to have a chance to see her in concert ... and I bet that she would surprise us with something new or different.

Again, it is showing how much more of a "composer" Keith Emerson was, and we only think of him as a keyboard player ... he deserves better and I think he will remembered for a long time to come, and someone like Rachel Flowers is simply adding to that like no one else, today, can ... totally insane and amazing.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 07:54
... and now she produced/orchestrated her mother's album - what an amazing talent !
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 09:13
So now I've finally checked this recent prog-phenomena out. Apart from being impressed that she pulls it off I fail to understand how this can be an interesting listen to anyone. Until the vocals kick in Pirates* now sort of resemble a generic score for a 30-40-year old Spielberg/Lucas-styled action/adventure. Sorry, its a no from me. Hope she'll do something interesting with her undeniable talent some day.

*I guess I should add that I've never been a fan of ELP's bombast-prog to begin with
rminsk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 12:49
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

until the vocals kick in Pirates*
now sort of resemble a generic score for a 30-40-year old
Spielberg/Lucas-styled action/adventure.
Keith had written Pirates for a cancelled film version of Frederick Forsyth's book The Dogs of War.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 12:58
^Ok that makes sense, it doesn't make me enjoy it more though. 
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:36
She has covered many other classics like King Crimson's Starless, Lark's Tongues in Aspic (both parts) or Zappa's Peaches en Regalia. If anything can be critisized is that her covers are perhaps too identical to the originals, and because she uses software instruments they may sound sometimes a bit artificial, missing the nuances from real instruments played by great musicians.

Edited by Gerinski - January 13 2019 at 13:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:44
-I don't know would any of you care about these covers if they were made by a trio of guys with a bandcamp-account?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:51
100% with you, just don't get the love at all.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 18:36

-I don't know would any of you care about these covers if they were made by a trio of guys with a bandcamp-account?

The answer, should be YES ... but yeah, I agree with you some on this, since we seem to credit one person and immediately not the other ... as I said before, ELP today would be trashed silly, even here, and just considered a pretentious mess ... and no one would even give a cahoot about the classical styles and music they created, just like we kinda don't of many bands today, because our favorite is/was .... someone else.

However, when ANY piece of music is turned into a "classical piece" as Rachel has done, it shows its compositional side a lot more and how valuable the piece of music really is. And this should be a nice lesson for many bands, considering themselves "progressive" and if you unplug them, there is almost nothing there ... it's all sound and effects. It would kill half the metal folks which is the reason why almost none of them will even try an unplugged show ... the fans want the loud stuff and that is what they gonna get!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 18:46

I'd care about these covers if they were made by a trio of Cambodian octogenarian pool cleaners.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 19:01
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I'd care about these covers if they were made by a trio of Cambodian octogenarian pool cleaners.

*spits beer on monitor*

hahahah..  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 00:33
Keith was justifiably very proud of Pirates as was the whole band. Apparently prior to the release of Works, Keith took the composer Leonard Bernstein to the recording studio to have a listen to the rough version of it . Greg also happened to be present. Bernstein was less than impressed though and started comparing his own music to Beethoven. Greg, never one to 'suffer fools' chipped in 'Don't worry Lenny, no one will ever confuse your music with Beethoven'. Keith at that point was wishing he was somewhere else! ( as per Keith Emerson's auto bio 'Pictures Of An Exhibitionist')
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 05:34
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

She has covered many other classics like King Crimson's Starless, Lark's Tongues in Aspic (both parts) or Zappa's Peaches en Regalia. If anything can be critisized is that her covers are perhaps too identical to the originals, and because she uses software instruments they may sound sometimes a bit artificial, missing the nuances from real instruments played by great musicians.

There are some things that can be missed here … and one of them is in Starless … where you can hear all the small ticks and tacks and stuff that BB did, which are lost and buried in all KC mixes, because rock fans only care about cowbells … well, that's the joke anyway! And get PC to do it!

Using software instruments, is all that is possible these days. Your criticism is a bit scary, since no one could afford to get a big synth that cost thousands, and the replicas that are twice that much, to make you think that it can sound the same … regardless, it can't … it's in different hands!

Tomorrow, even the guitar will not be played like it is today and will be done by a keyboard player … which already happens anyway, and your chance to see/hear a blues player will be gone forever … because times have changed and no one learns instruments anymore … music is not taught in school, and they are too stringent and borderline and stick to instruments that most orchestras don't even use anymore … besides the point that there are not enough good players out there … and some orchestras are having a hard time filling in the numbers because of the costs involved.

Rachel's appreciation for music, specially many of the things that we consider "progressive", is without a doubt, one of the biggest and best shows, of what PROGRESSIVE meant to a generation of folks, that is being lost by some people, as yourself, today! You don't get it … do you? It's not just the instrument, it's everything else, and Rachel has been very successful in making these come alive … not to mention the one thing that stands out the most, that you might not see … SHE'S BLIND … but not blind to the music, which ought to signal you a thing or two.

It's really weird, and strange for my 68 years to hear someone say that the feeling is "artificial", specially these days, when most music is so danged artificial, and much of it gets a lot of publicity that shows how empty it all is, and simply look at this body and her titties, or fancy album cover, which supposedly makes the music better … if that is not artificial, I don't know what is … but criticizing someone for LOVING MUSIC AND DOING AN INCREDIBLE JOB BRINGING IT TO YOU AND I …. is insane.

Maybe we ought to lock you up listening to 10 different interpretations of THE RITE OF SPRING, leaving Tomita's to last of course, so we can have a decent course in music appreciation … and I'm not criticizing as much as I am hoping that you bring up your music appreciation level a little bit … someone doing the piece 40 to 50 years later, can not, in any shape, form or idea, even come close to the original … in fact, according to the many bootlegs at the time, even then too many things were different because they could not get all the stuff tuned correctly and properly 110% each and every day … so, your feeling "artificial" is kinda scary … (check out the Edgar Froese autobiography to read a heck of a lot more on this!!!!!)
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 05:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

… but criticizing someone for LOVING MUSIC AND DOING AN INCREDIBLE JOB BRINGING IT TO YOU AND I …. is insane.

Because you never ever criticize anyone who brings us music do you? Wacko

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - January 16 2019 at 05:40
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 06:35
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

… but criticizing someone for LOVING MUSIC AND DOING AN INCREDIBLE JOB BRINGING IT TO YOU AND I …. is insane.

Because you never ever criticize anyone who brings us music do you? Wacko

It was meant for music that is older than you and I, not some stupid rock song that you happen to like!

It wouldn't be so bad, if it was a different song … but it's always the same one! Or another Jethro Tull song … !!!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>