4 [6.15%]
13 [20.00%]
11 [16.92%]
12 [18.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:12
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ nice.  Got the f**k out of dodge while you could ehh.  

^^^ great list David..  I might add one of my personal favs. A top 10'r fav of all RPI albums. What a dark and vicious little album. with more balls than the average prog band could dream of possessing..

Yeah that Jumbo album owns a special place in my collection.   I like the roughness of Alvaro Fella's voice. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 13 2019 at 10:16
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:29
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

debunk the
myth that prog is about elves, dragons and wizards.
I've been checking out all things prog since my teens - now can someone please steer me towards some of these legendary progalbums about elves, dragons and wizards? I'd really like to hear at least one of them someday.
You could try Blind Guardian's Nightfall In Middle Earth. I mean it's terrible, but you could.

I'd rather play Bo Hansson's Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings or Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards.
Ah right thanks! I already got that Bo Hansson-album of course... I don't think the-prog myth stems from an instrumental album peaking at 34th in the UK and 154 in the US - or a 1998-album. So the guilty one has got to be that Heep-album I guess (although mainly heavy rock isn't it?)... which is actually in my vinyl-collection but I've never really listened to (another one bougth for less than the price of a pack of gum).

Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards is what I might call a Heavy Rock/ Progressive Rock Crossover. At the time I could imagine it being considered both heavy metal or hard rock and progressive rock (well, actually I still could and one might call it Heavy Prog). That said, I think that it played a bigger part in metal's fascination with such fantasy themes (very influential to heavy metal/metal album, I think). I was too young to appreciate Prog's heyday, but I think that the lines between Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock and progressive Rock were often blurry -- well, still can be.

One reason why I think Prog is associated with fantasy, which some people think of as elves, dragons and wizards, is Roger Dean's album covers -- and Rick Wakweman's capes and the sci-fi-ish nerdiness of bands like Rush and Camel's "Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider" and the fey theatrics of bands such as Genesis. I could listen to Camel, Yes and Genesis and get this fantasy vibe no matter what the lyrics are. Jon Anderson himself has had elfin qualities to me, and Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull can have a lascivious fairy folkishness about him.   I think that the theatrics of Prog is part of what has built on that "myth".
Yes I guess its mostly an understandable generalization by rockers preferring three chords in three minutes that probably never actually listened to prog - but dissmissed it alltogether based on the coverart, the capes and the fluteplayer with one leg raised... and then there's the title track of In the Court which was probably heard in 69/70 + perhaps Syd Barretts version of Pink Floyd
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:02

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

debunk the
myth that prog is about elves, dragons and wizards.
I've been checking out all things prog since my teens - now can someone please steer me towards some of these legendary progalbums about elves, dragons and wizards? I'd really like to hear at least one of them someday.
You could try Blind Guardian's Nightfall In Middle Earth. I mean it's terrible, but you could.

I'd rather play Bo Hansson's Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings or Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards.
Ah right thanks! I already got that Bo Hansson-album of course... I don't think the-prog myth stems from an instrumental album peaking at 34th in the UK and 154 in the US - or a 1998-album. So the guilty one has got to be that Heep-album I guess (although mainly heavy rock isn't it?)... which is actually in my vinyl-collection but I've never really listened to (another one bougth for less than the price of a pack of gum).

Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards is what I might call a Heavy Rock/ Progressive Rock Crossover. At the time I could imagine it being considered both heavy metal or hard rock and progressive rock (well, actually I still could and one might call it Heavy Prog). That said, I think that it played a bigger part in metal's fascination with such fantasy themes (very influential to heavy metal/metal album, I think). I was too young to appreciate Prog's heyday, but I think that the lines between Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock and progressive Rock were often blurry -- well, still can be.

One reason why I think Prog is associated with fantasy, which some people think of as elves, dragons and wizards, is Roger Dean's album covers -- and Rick Wakweman's capes and the sci-fi-ish nerdiness of bands like Rush and Camel's "Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider" and the fey theatrics of bands such as Genesis. I could listen to Camel, Yes and Genesis and get this fantasy vibe no matter what the lyrics are. Jon Anderson himself has had elfin qualities to me, and Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull can have a lascivious fairy folkishness about him.   I think that the theatrics of Prog is part of what has built on that "myth".
Yes I guess its mostly an understandable generalization by rockers preferring three chords in three minutes that probably never actually listened to prog - but dissmissed it alltogether based on the coverart, the capes and the fluteplayer with one leg raised... and then there's the title track of In the Court which was probably heard in 69/70 + perhaps Syd Barretts version of Pink Floyd

Yeah.... And there's something fantastical about Prog to me. I don't have statistics to back this up, but I could imagine a greater percentage of "Proggers" or fans of progressive electronic music such as Tangerine Dream playing Dungeons and Dragons and reading Tolkien than, say, fans of pop music such as Paul Anka or Ricky Martin.

Marillion named themselves after Tolkien's Silmarillion (their original name then shortened), and one of their popular songs is "Grendel". Then there's Gandalf and Gandalf's Project included in Crossover Prog and Gandalf's Fist included in Neo-Prog. I think of Tolkien and the like being referenced quite a bit in Neo-Prog type acts. And the whimsical nature of certain Prog (like Gong or various in Canterbury), and the unusual lyrics and themes can lends itself to a sort of fantasy sort of world more than standard blues rock or country music.

Prog quite often deals with mystery, mythology, legend, occult topics etc. and can be rather esoteric -- compare the themes in progressive acid folk such as Comus to songwriters such as Nicki Minaj (okay, a very lame comparison). Prog partially grew out of psychedelia, and psych often got into such themes. Proto Prog bands such as Cream (proto prog to me) were also delving into such fantasy and myth.

Prog has lent itself to fantasy more than most popular music or barroom rock, or lounge music, I think. A lot of Symphonic Metal, and other metal, of course, seems interested in such things. Prog is often not very down-to-earth and direct in subject matter. I would sooner expect some elements of fantasy in Prog Rock than in pub rock. EDIT: And of course Vander created a fantasy world for Magma's music, and something of a language to boot.

Edited by Logan - January 13 2019 at 13:21
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:40
^Yes the whole geekyness to it is also why it was ridiculed and loathed by jocks and rockers alike, but the 00's + adulthood feels like the actual Revenge of the Nerds

compare the themes in progressive acid folk such as Comus to songwriters such as Nicki Minaj (okay, a very lame comparison).
haha they can both be very sexually aggressive though, and Nicki's got some Canterbury-silliness to her rhymes sometimes:

"Flyer than a kite, I get higher than Rapunzel / Keep the Snow White, I could buy it by the bundle / Step your cookies up 'fore they crumble / Don't be actin' like the Cardinals and go and fumble"

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 15:05

All great albums, but to me Arbeit Macht Frei stands head and shoulders above the rest. Every time I listen to it, I wonder at how fresh it still sounds. One of the very best debut albums ever without a doubt. I also endorse my other half's recommendation of Jumbo's Vietato ai minori di 18 anni?. It's a pity most people on this forum (and elsewhere for that matter) won't get to appreciate the lyrics, which alone are enough to debunk the myth that prog is about elves, dragons and wizards. "Specchio" is like a punch in the gut - a tale of loneliness and marginalization more direct and effective that anything Peter Hammill has ever written.

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I see London has changed to Italy, Lewian! Hope it goes well... Which part of Italia? Hope the wine is of a good standard!

Bologna... I'm actually more of a foodie than a drinker but Bologna's quite right in that respect.

Bologna is one of my favourite cities in Italy, and I hope one day I'll be able to visit it again. It is heartwarming to see that people are moving there from abroad, seen as my fellow Italians seem to think they are living in some sort of hell on earthCry.

Bologna is a beautiful city. University city, full of young people, clean and safe (today a little less), with efficient services. But in central Italy (actually throughout Italy) there are many art cities more beautiful than Bologna. I believe that Italians know that Italy is a small but beautiful land, with an artistic heritage and a phenomenal landscape, among the best in the world. If anything, Italians believe they are always worse than the others people, they are extermophiles. Also in the prog: take the leading Italian prog music experts and ask them to make a list of the most beautiful records: they will put the best records of PFM, Banco, Le Orme, Area etc at the bottom, not among the first.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 00:18
Le Orme for me
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 07:30
I still hear often and love all of these. 

Banco>Area>Le Orme>PFM>Museo
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 08:37
some great albums here

Museo for me
Prog On!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 17:39
PFM

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 01:07
Area above the others
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 02:17
What an incredible year in Italy. I voted Banco, but could and maybe should have voted Area. The Jumbo, Battiato, Cervello and Dedalus albums are also close to my heart.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 15 2019 at 02:20
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 04:03
Le orme is the best band from Italy hands down
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 05:07
Since technically Per Un Amico is not from 1973, I went with Zarathustra.

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Some Italians are indeed very skeptical about why anyone would want to move to Italy, and they told me that it's great for visitors but it's something quite different to live and work there.
I can say the same thing about my country Ermm
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 05:16
I’d love to live in either Italy or Portugal
My pink bikini would fare so much better down there.

My ears are itching for some old school RPI but I’m at work which means either Bob Marley or Kim Larsen.
Magma was ok when I was working with erm...regular kids as they all seemed to get the whole Uruk Hai thang..but yeah autists and Magma do not mix well. I tried MDK here the other day and learned very quickly that it indeed wasn’t Bob Marley ie a small but very hard plastic doll was flung in my direction
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 07:32
About living in Italy: it really depends on the place tgat you choose and the kind of life you want to live. Italy has beaches and islands, some close to Africa, but it has also the highest European mountains. There are hills, lakes, big cities and small towns. It really depends.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 07:38
I love to go to Italy now and then. I've been there 7 times during the last 16 years, of which 5 in Sicily.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 07:42
All of them!!!

But I voted for the mighty Zarathustra!!!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 09:29
I can't decide!
The PFM album was my first RPI and fell in love with with the genre.  Le Orme and Area albums were next.
All of them are special in their own way.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 19:13
Felona
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 12:46
Le Orme are one of the best bands ever. Great run of albums from 1971-79
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>