4 [6.15%]
13 [20.00%]
11 [16.92%]
12 [18.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 16:54
It's Felona e Sorona, their best album.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 17:15
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

It's Felona e Sorona, their best album.

It's cool stuff. But no more great than Storia, Collage, Contra, Uomo
These guys were better than most of the English bands. Way better than PFM imo
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 11:14
^Yeah, but Felona' is epic throughout.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 12:47

I love em all. They’re my 2nd fave band now
I only just heard the song Canzone. Should have been on Smogmagica

Edited by dr prog - January 20 2019 at 12:50
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 13:16

Did you see them play the whole shebang at Prog Fest '97? That was pretty amazing. I like Il Fiume a lot, too (which they also played most of).
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 21:51
Slam dunk for PFM here.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 14:23
Own and love them all but have voted for 'Museo Rosenbach: Zarathustra' tonight.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 14:58
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Did you see them play the whole shebang at Prog Fest '97? That was pretty amazing. I like Il Fiume a lot, too (which they also played most of).

Yup!  I actually prefer the progfest version.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 00:19
PFM
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 13:26
PFM just a hair over Zarathustra, both severe masterpieces
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 20:32
I'm gonna not count Per Un Amico since it's really from 1972, plus it give the others an actual chance. 

So here's how I'd rank them

1. Felona E Sorona
2. Arbeit Macht Frei
3. Io Sono Nato Libero
4. Zarathustra
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2021 at 21:26
Oo there's a fun side conversation about prog's actual content of elves and wizards and dragons versus it's perceived content. Let me chime in!

Okay for one thing there is Rush, who did have some high fantasy themed songs early in their career: Rivendell, By-Tor And The Snow Dog, Madrigal, and The Necromancer especially. Plus a lot of A Farewell To Kings just sounds medieval. However they interspersed this with other stuff. Even on A Farewell To Kings, Cygnus X-1 is fully science fiction. Caress Of Steel and Hemispheres both have 20 minute excursions into Classical mythology, Greek and Roman inspired storytelling, which is just too many centuries prior to Tolkien's setting to call it the same thing.  Not to mention 2112, that most ubiquitous of their prog epics, which is very plainly Randian and Orwellian rather than Tolkeinien.

How about Tull? Aqualung features a rather storybookish cast of characters, though they seem to owe more to the whimsical fantasy of Alice In Wonderland than the high fantasy of The Lord Of The Rings, or even the Hobbit. Thick As A Brick is pretty British and mentions poets and soldiers wielding and licking swords and pens, but the lyrics don't really fall in line with any expected Arthurian legend tropes. A Passion Play is much closer to Dante's Inferno. Right time period, right continent, wrong genre.  There's the folk albums as well, though they seem to be content depicting country life rather than epic questing.

How about King Crimson? 21st Century Schizoid man is a no go, In The Court Of The Crimson King has a pretty medieval cast of characters though! But no dragons and no deadly battles, just a depiction of a fantasy courtroom. I think once again there's a case of not very much in this artist's discography directly evoked that high fantasy feel, and that which does lacks the sense of epic quest or battle which prog is often accused of being about.

Emerson, Lake, And Palmer get the battle and epic quest thing right with Tarkus... but an armadillo tank isn't exactly Tolkien inspired. Karn Evil 9 also just goes the sci fi route.

Yes definitely seems to have some medieval themes in some places, but in typical Jon Anderson fashion, all the lyrical influences are blended together into a high fantasy, philosophy, religion, chess, Siberian inspired soup.

And then there's Genesis. While pastoral and folky passages are one of their specialties, as well as epic songwriting and fantastical lyrics, there's not much in their catalogue specifically akin to the whole D&D schtick in question. There is Can Utility And The Coastliners, though it's more about politics than epic adventure. Time Table as well is about the right aesthetic, but too wistful and not enough action. Supper's Ready features a battle section, but it takes as much from medieval fantasy as it does from greek mythology and the Book Of Revelation, probably even a bit less. The Battle Of Epping Forest is about a very 20th century gang fight that just happens to be in a forest. The Cinema Show casts Romeo and Juliet in 20th century America, before a refrain about a Greek mythical figure.  the entirety of The Lamb is about as far from medieval as it gets. The Musical Box feels more Victorian. A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering both have moments of fantasy, but they seem a bit closer to Narnia than Middle Earth.

So where is all the great prog about Bilbo and Smaug? It seems to me much more of it lies on the hard rock and heavy metal side of things. Led Zeppelin notable looked to Tolkien for inspiration quite often. Stairway To Heaven and The Battle Of Evermore being two excellent examples. Rush falls in this wheelhouse as well and it's no wonder they have more Tolkien inspired stuff than the other prog bands I mentioned. Uriah Heep was mentioned earlier in the thread and they definitely have their share of epic fantasy battle themes as well. Or how about Dio? Whatever band he's in, he's always writing about dragons and witches and tarot cards and the like. I think a quick look will show hard rock and heavy metal cite Tolkienish stuff much more often than prog.

Although! There is of course Rick Wakeman's King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table. No denying that fits in with the theme, but then Wakeman is rather infamous for his cape wearing. In fact I think it's telling that he specifically comes to mind when you think of that stage gimmick, no one else.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234