Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Doors : Waiting For The Sun vs Morrison Hotel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Doors : Waiting For The Sun vs Morrison Hotel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these Albums do you like the most ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [62.50%]
12 [37.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Doors : Waiting For The Sun vs Morrison Hotel
    Posted: September 30 2019 at 15:26
I chose "Waiting for the Sun" out of the two options, although The Doors self-titled first album is my favourite Doors album overall.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 14:46
I go with "Waiting For The Sun" because of

-Spanish Caravan
-Five To One
-The Unknown Soldier

but the song "Waiting For The Sun" is one of my favorites.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 23:59
For my its Morrison`s Hotel   Star
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 21:41
f**k I love Indian Summer.......
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2019 at 21:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

LA Woman over all of 'em......ol' Jim played the drunken blues clown a lot better than he did the Dionysian poet.   
Craziest thing I've ever read. I still choose LA Woman over Morrison Hotel but that's because of Riders of the Storm and a couple of other non-drunken blues clown-tunes.

Riders On The Storm is imho perhaps the best song they ever did.....the darkest lyrics he ever wrote?..imo and the music is eerie. I can play that track over and over and over....
Thumbs Up

I never thought any of it was dark ... maybe strong and opinionated with a possible violent streak, or at least something that might be called "revolutionary" ... but dark ... is a bit harsh for my book, because the material is really about a lot of things, and mainly about how bland and boring and about nothing, most rock music in the radio was ... c'mon ... he does scream, light my fire ... do we really need to think that is just a rock'n'roll scream that a "star" rock singer in a metal or crap band would do? Many do scream and such, but the material strength of the lyrics kinda eat away at that strength ... and almost 50 years later, Jim's words and screams, are still heard ... LOUD AND CLEAR!  (... and maybe "clear" is the word that we need!)

Edited by moshkito - April 13 2019 at 21:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2019 at 11:41

LA Woman over all of 'em......ol' Jim played the drunken blues clown a lot better than he did the Dionysian poet.   
Craziest thing I've ever read. I still choose LA Woman over Morrison Hotel but that's because of Riders of the Storm and a couple of other non-drunken blues clown-tunes.

Riders On The Storm is imho perhaps the best song they ever did.....the darkest lyrics he ever wrote?..imo and the music is eerie. I can play that track over and over and over....
Thumbs Up

Edited by dr wu23 - April 11 2019 at 11:49
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 19:07

My take is that THE DOORS were being asked by the record company for another hit, and some of the blues'y stuff was probably the easiest thing to do, but I seriously doubt that he wanted to do that. He had no problem with Whiskey Bar (Weill/Brecht) which was more on the theatrical vein of some of his material, but all in all, when it became just plain lyrics for a "hit" ... I don't think that Jim was up to that. His material, and the very best of THE DOORS, is almost all based on the poetic side of things, or more correctly, the FILM SIDE of things (remember that they were DEFINITELY aware of film in their work!).

It is still an issue today ... everything is so commercial that the ability for some very individualistic work to come out is just hard to enjoy ... either the same instrument sound, or worse ... the same beginner drumming ... and it makes progressive not be as strong as it used to be.

But when you hear "The Texas Radio Song" ... that is awesome to play in your evening show ... a great rocker and a great finger!

Originally posted by Whamdaddy Whamdaddy wrote:

I actually like Soft Parade, I think it gets a bad rap going al the way back to its release, and the other is true, that fans didn't like it because it was not really commercial, I personally like horns in my music

oh, Waiting by the way

The Soft Parade (the long piece) is magnificent, though the words are really difficult for some people because they are very strong ... and not for the typical rock audience looking for material that says nothing of great value. Study those lines ... they are not empty ... just a bit more on the eccentric side, I suppose, but a great one next to the other long pieces.

Edited by moshkito - April 10 2019 at 19:10
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Whamdaddy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whamdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 07:26
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

oh I dismiss it alright... I think the album sucks... and Morrison should have gone full time to being a poet ...
for his voice by then was gone..  no icon has a premature death served better than one James Morrison... most had their creative peaks still to come... his was already years in the past.

I actually like Soft Parade, I think it gets a bad rap going al the way back to its release, and the other is true, that fans didn't like it because it was not really commercial, I personally like horns in my music

oh, Waiting by the way
The Wham Daddy
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 06:12
two of their three weaker albums during their Morrison days (the third being Soft Parade), but Waiting is edges Hotel

LAW; then SD than the debut for me.

Edited by Sean Trane - April 10 2019 at 06:14
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 01:43

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2019 at 01:07
All the Doors are wide open for me.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 17:14
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 19:23
Yep, LA Woman over these two.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 12:56
Hi,

I like both albums but they do not have the polish and the great beauty of the albums before and after, and also lack a long cut, many of which are by very far, some of the favorite and best things that THE DOORS ever did.

There are a lot of nice songs, and they would add a nice touch to many a radio show on music from that era, but all in all, my thoughts are that these are a bit less valuable than the other albums by this band.

Still nice, just not as great ... and yes, I have a complete DOORS, including American Prayer.
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 08:15
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

.......that’s why Other Voices is my fave album by them. Morrison, as great as his contribution was to The Doors, was an out of control drug addict. Let’s face the facts...... (he had a great voice early on, he bursts with talent etc. but his ego got the better of him)......sad, but true.

No, he was an out of control drunk.

sad but true, although story goes that he tried a few drugs.

I also love LA Woman, to me, just as good as Morrison Hotel or Waiting for the Sun (if not better sometimes than WftS). 

Edited by Cristi - January 19 2019 at 08:15
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 08:00
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

.......that’s why Other Voices is my fave album by them. Morrison, as great as his contribution was to The Doors, was an out of control drug addict. Let’s face the facts...... (he had a great voice early on, he bursts with talent etc. but his ego got the better of him)......sad, but true.

No, he was an out of control drunk.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 04:53

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 19 2019 at 04:56
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 17:19
oh I dismiss it alright... I think the album sucks... and Morrison should have gone full time to being a poet ...
for his voice by then was gone..  no icon has a premature death served better than one James Morrison... most had their creative peaks still to come... his was already years in the past.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 23:12
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

LOLBeer  yeah..  you're right man. I sort of forgot about that sh*t stain of an album. Well there goes my first to last .. best to worst notion of the Doors.

Actually if you want to go first to last you can't dismiss LA Woman which was a surprising return to form while Jim Morrison was self destructing. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:17
LOLBeer  yeah..  you're right man. I sort of forgot about that sh*t stain of an album. Well there goes my first to last .. best to worst notion of the Doors.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>