Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Doors : Waiting For The Sun vs Morrison Hotel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Doors : Waiting For The Sun vs Morrison Hotel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which of these Albums do you like the most ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [62.50%]
12 [37.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 08:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

The doors are sort of funny group in that how I see their albums..  if ranking them..  first all the way to last are exactly how they fall out in terms of how good they were.

giving the edge to the 3rd album over the 4th album. Unknown Soldier tips the scale for WFtS. Even if dated.. still a immensely powerful song.

Morrison Hotel was their 5th album, The Soft Parade was their 4th and IMO their least interesting one with Morrison on vocals. 
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 08:48
both are great

but

Waiting for the Sun
Prog On!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 07:52
The doors are sort of funny group in that how I see their albums..  if ranking them..  first all the way to last are exactly how they fall out in terms of how good they were.

giving the edge to the 3rd album over the 4th album. Unknown Soldier tips the scale for WFtS. Even if dated.. still a immensely powerful song.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 23:18
Indian Summer is my favourite Doors track from their entire discography.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 15:41
It's an interesting comparison, this, between Waiting for the Sun and Morrison Hotel. Because the first is seen as the album that has b*****dized the sound of the Doors, after the two initial masterpieces, while Morrison Hotel is the album that, after the unsuccessful Soft Parade (with horns in a commercial soul style: Touch Me), it wanted to go back to the blues, a return to the origins. Blues lovers will choose Morrison Hotel, psychedelia lovers will choose Sun. I? They are very similar, in terms of quality, in my opinion. The first side of Morrison Hotel exceeds that of Waiting for the Sun, while the second one is much smaller than that of Waiting for the Sun. Overall, vote for Waiting for the Sun.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 15:12
Definitely Morrison Hotel, although I love most of Waiting for the Sun, ie., Not to Touch the Earth, Spanish Caravan, Five to One and The Unknown Soldier.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 22:29
The Doors had about 4 albums of music in their heads when they were signed up by Elektra to record their first studio album. By the time they got to record Morrison Hotel the third one, WFTS, had been mutilated by the Studio bosses by excluding the Lizard Suite and the title track, while their fourth, Soft Parade, was essentially destroyed by adding brass and horns. Which left Morrison Hotel as a few mainly Blues standards to fill an otherwise mediocre album and leaving Jim Morrison no where to go as an artist, in my humble opinion.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 16:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The Lizard suite was a live favorite for a while though, check it out on Absolutely Live. Tongue

^ that live album is fantastic.  The definitive versions of the Lizard suite and When the Music's Over Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 15:45
it would have been awesome if there was a studio version of Celebration of the Lizard,rejected at the time and only Not to Touch the Earth was kept. The Lizard suite was a live favorite for a while though, check it out on Absolutely Live. Tongue

Edited by Cristi - January 12 2019 at 16:38
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 15:27
Love both of them, but WFTS is my favourite with Morrison.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 14:22
Easily Waiting for the Sun for me as well. Up there with their two first albums imo... Morrison Hotel has a handful of gems as well but also some real awful blues rawk/pub rock-stompers which is probably to the worst musicgenre in the universe. Roadhouse Blues is on my top ten hate songs along with Money... and Money For Nothing (aand Walk of Life)

Edited by Saperlipopette! - January 12 2019 at 14:23
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 12:51
Easily Waiting For the Sun, but I do think their first two albums are the best ones.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 11:57
Waiting.  The earlier the Doors album, the better for me Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 11:42
Morrison Hotel
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 10:39
I am bucking the (early) trend and going for Waiting for the Sun...Kind of flips back and forth from more produced "hit," sorts of songs to psychedelia and commentary, that terrific line in The Unknown Soldier, "Breakfast where the news is fed, television children fed..." (I remember when they broadcast clips from Vietnam); the beautiful Spanish Caravan, where Krieger shows some of his roots; and ending with "Five to One," with another killer line (pun intended) "No one here gets out alive."
Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's damned good and my gut just like it better than Morrison Hotel.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 10:39
Like both very much, but I also am going with Morrison Hotel. That album has become more a part of my DNA.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 10:24
Went with Hotel.......but they are both very good imho.
Funny enough there's a song called Waiting For the Sun on Morrison Hotel.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 09:45
Both are great but which one do you prefer ? I really can't decide.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12