Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canterbury Scene and fuzz pedals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 09:34
I was looking at the two Wattson clones earlier. Apparently, they're the most accurate. (They've even been sued by Univox - good sign).
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 04:55
I don't have specifics, but the key to the Canterbury organ sound from my experience, comes not so much from a specific pedal or amp, but from cheapness. If you have a cheap keyboard and a cheap amp with incorporated distortion, or a cheap fuzz pedal, you will get pretty close. The cheaper the better actually.

With VSTs you can explore more, but in the end, remember that the sound grew from the bands having no money to buy proper equipment. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say, or something to that effect.
Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2019 at 09:04
It is well documented that Chris Squire from Yes used a Maestro Brassmaster fuzz device. No longer made.
There is actually a modern version of this made by Mallekko Heavy Industries and it's called  The (B)Assmaster.
it's not cheap as far as effect pedals go and it is well built. I obtained one when I played with a Deep Purple tribute. Our keyboard player tried it on his Hammond with success also. I love that it comes with a set of rubber teeth inside and the control pot read " More Ass ".  Best fuzzy organ sound has to be Wakeman on Strawbs "The Hangman and the Papist ' . 
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 16:11
Surprisingly this is yet to be mentioned in the thread.

Mike Ratledge and Dave Stewart 100% used the Shaftesbury Fuzz pedal. There is a photo archive with Dave using it, and he had it to the left of him on a stand instead of using it with his foot.

Edited by hugo1995 - January 15 2020 at 16:13
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
derickgtwk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derickgtwk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 13:16
reading this topic, I wanted to make my contribution.

i've been researching the equipment used by the bands in the canterbury scene, not just the pedals, but also the amps and cabinets.

about the fuzz pedal used by MGP's bass player: based on the photos I've seen of the band's gigs, I believe it to be the "elka dizzy tone".

in the case of EGG, KHAN, Hatfield and the North, National Health: all the organ sounds consist of the harmmond l100 through a superfuzz/duo-fuzz and a wah pedal called "schaller bow-wow yoy-yoy."

both Dave Stewart and Mont Campbell used the same model of amplifier and cabinet, each had a pair of 100w hiwatts with wem starfinder cabinets, which from the sound of it, I'm sure they didn't have Fane Crescendo, I believe the starfinders they used had rare goodmans power audiom 50w speakers.

In the case of some other bands like Supersister, Quiet Sun, Cos, STUBBS: they all used electric organs with fuzz.

Quiet Sun and STUBBS used vox organs.

Supersister's keyboard player: Robert Jan Stips used a farfisa compact series at first and then switched to a farfisa vip series organ, and I can see from the band's pictures that they used london city amps.

Cos keyboard player Marc Hollander used a Farfisa Professional Duo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12