13 [10.92%]
1 [0.84%]
13 [10.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 13:37
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Angel Witch – Angel Witch (1980)
Van Halen – Fair Warning (1981)
two great ones, do you have the AngelWitch remasters?
Just the Sanctuary edition. 
Quote Raven  Rock until You Drop
Nice! I need to hear more by these guys. I have Raw Tracks
They were a rough bunch, very raw sound, not progressive like the Witch or Maiden.  But a great band of bros.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 13:39
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Other favourites:

The Clash: Sandinista
The Police: Zenyatta Mondatta
David Byrne and Brian Eno: My Life In the Bush of Ghosts

Thumbs UpLOL
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 13:43
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Some favourites from 1981

Bauhaus - Mask

Clannad - Fuaim

Depeche Mode - Speak & Spell

The Cure - Faith

U2 - October

Thumbs UpLOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 13:52
Yeah, I could have listed the Police, the Cure, U2 and others but there's only one problem with that. Who can figure out what it would be? Hint. What is the name of this forum not to mention website? :P
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 14:12

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Erectus has some heavy tunes, as does Fair Warning. But they're not "metal" like Priest or Maiden, no. Speaking of, the reason I didn't mention those others, like Ozzy's first two, is because I don't rank them as most do. I far prefer Dio-Sabbath, and IMO Maiden got better after PoM and then peaked with SiT and 7Soa7S

But yes, I should have put Point of Entry in there. That's a classic. And while they didn't come out till '82 and '83, respectively, Mama's Boys' Plug It In and Savage's Loose 'N Lethal each deserve mention.

Well, I didn't think you were going for a complete list of NWOBH or metal in general. Obviously there's lot's of good ones out there. Isn't PoE by Priest rated rather low usually? Do you prefer it over British Steel or SfV? Oops, I guess we are talking 80/81 here. As for IM NotB is usually rated as their best or PoM. I guess you don't follow the consensus which is good. It's always good to make up your own mind about things.

PoE is highly regarded, as is ...Vengeance (superb record). I have little use for British Steel. I'd much rather listen to Sin After Sin and Stained Class.

Somewhere In Time may have a slightly more commercial sound as far as Maiden goes, but that's my favorite album of theirs.

Really? Well, here is the listing for the ratings of the first several JP albums from the rate your music website:

Rockarolla -3.11

Sad Wings of Destiny -3.92

Sin After Sin -3.73

Stained Class – 3.90

Killing Machine -3.68

British Steel -3.73

Point of Entry – 3.12

Screaming for Vengeance – 3.91

Defenders of the Faith -3.90

And from metal music archives:

Rocka Rolla – 3.57

Sad Wings of Destiny – 4.47

Sin After Sin – 3.90

Stained Class - 4.10

Killing Machine – 3.86

British Steel – 3.96

Point of Entry – 2.97

Screaming For Vengeance -4.16

Defenders of the Faith -4.02

As you can see "Point of Entry" is one of their lower rated and regarded albums. I know some people like it but the consensus shows it's not one of their better ones. British Steel is rated higher. So I guess BS has use for others and not you and so much for PoE being highly regarded. ;) 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 16 2019 at 15:56
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 14:22

Yeah, I could have listed the Police, the Cure, U2 and others but there's only one problem with that. Who can figure out what it would be? Hint. What is the name of this forum not to mention website? :P

I agree with you!

And then, after all, the beauty of Prog Polls is to compare only SOME (not ALL) groups or album.

Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 15:53
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I agree with you!

And then, after all, the beauty of Prog Polls is to compare only SOME (not ALL) groups or album.

Wink

Yeah, but it's a different story when some people list every album from this time period regardless of whether it is prog or not. I don't feel like I should have to explain that this is a poll for prog bands but unfortunately I felt the need to edit the title to reflect that. Just being on a prog forum(ie not non prog) on a prog site isn't good enough I guess. Confused
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 16:15

As you can see "Point of Entry" is one of their lower rated and regarded albums. I know some people like it but the consensus shows it's not one of their better ones. British Steel is rated higher. So I guess BS has use for others and not you and so much for PoE being highly regarded. ;) 

From personal experience (3+ decades), PoE is regarded as "classic Priest" and is one of their best albums. For example, if you go look at Amazon's page for the 2014 CD reissue (not other editions, vinyl or box sets), you'll see 86% of the user reviews have it at 4- and 5- stars. That's based on roughly 150 ratings/reviews, more than twice as many on MMA.

If you look at the reviews on MMA, some guys rate it lower because some songs charted, and one guys feels it's more "hard rock" than "heavy metal." Subjective, of course. I'm sure "Don't Go" turned some fans off, too. I see Trane gave it a low rating, too, which is funny because he generally doesn't seem to like metal. Wink

I wasn't aware you were trying to turn this into some kind of competition. JP aren't even in my favorite 50 metal bands, to be honest. I like many other bands ahead of them.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 16:15

I can help you with one band. File U2 under "crapola"! LOL
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 16:29
totally Other

some examples

Eloy : Colours and Planets
Anyone's Daughter: s/t
Pererin: Teithgan
Camel:  I can see your house from here and Nude
Runrig: Recovery
Clannad:  Fuaim
Mike Oldfield: QE2
Moving Hearts: s/t
Novalis - Augenblicke

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 16:57

From personal experience (3+ decades), PoE is regarded as "classic Priest" and is one of their best albums. For example, if you go look at Amazon's page for the 2014 CD reissue (not other editions, vinyl or box sets), you'll see 86% of the user reviews have it at 4- and 5- stars. That's based on roughly 150 ratings/reviews, more than twice as many on MMA.

If you look at the reviews on MMA, some guys rate it lower because some songs charted, and one guys feels it's more "hard rock" than "heavy metal." Subjective, of course. I'm sure "Don't Go" turned some fans off, too. I see Trane gave it a low rating, too, which is funny because he generally doesn't seem to like metal. Wink

I wasn't aware you were trying to turn this into some kind of competition. JP aren't even in my favorite 50 metal bands, to be honest. I like many other bands ahead of them.

No, just disagreeing with you about what is considered popular for JP. British Steel had two of their biggest hits in "living after midnight" and "breaking the law" as well as "united" which is a very good song. As I pointed out it's rated higher than PoE on those two sites. PoE AGAIN is not considered one of their better albums from that time period. How many other sites do I have to pull up. You don't get it. It's rated and ranked lower than BS despite what you said on BOTH sites! Not at the very bottom but towards the bottom here: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/judas-priest-albums-ranked/ Toward the middle of the pack here. https://www.loudersound.com/features/every-judas-priest-album-ranked-from-worst-to-best Number 24 on this list. Ok, on this list it's ranked 9 which isn't too bad but look what number one is. :P https://metalnation.com/ranking-judas-priest-first-to-worst-the-studio-albums/

But it's cool though. Relayer is probably my favorite Yes album even though it's usually ranked fourth or fifth by fans.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 16 2019 at 17:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:01

I can help you with one band. File U2 under "crapola"! LOL

One of the best and most important bands from the past 35 years or so. Saw them last year and they were great. 

I'm sure there's something we can agree on. Maybe. Tongue 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:04
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

totally Other

some examples

Eloy : Colours and Planets
Anyone's Daughter: s/t
Pererin: Teithgan
Camel:  I can see your house from here and Nude
Runrig: Recovery
Clannad:  Fuaim
Mike Oldfield: QE2
Moving Hearts: s/t
Novalis - Augenblicke

I can see your house from here was 79. Camel didn't release an album in 80. Nude was in 81 though so I could have included that but it slipped through the cracks.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:04

No, just disagreeing with you about what is considered popular for JP. British Steel had two of their biggest hits in "living after midnight" and "breaking the law" as well "united" which is a very good song. As I pointed out it's rated higher than PoE on those two sites. PoE AGAIN is not considered one of their better albums from that time period. How many other sites do I have to pull up. You don't get it. It's rated and ranked lower than BS despite what you said on BOTH sites!

It's okay for you to disagree. If everyone agreed, the world would be a boring place.

When I said "I have little use for," that wasn't for you, that meant ME. I don't care for that album overall, and "Living After Midnight" and "Breaking the Law" bore me. If you also think Rotten Tomatoes is the ultimate guide to "good" and "bad" cinema, that further proves how misleading ratings sites can be (especially when you're looking at sites with ratings entered by fewer than 500 people worldwide, lol).

By ALL means, pull up more sites. It won't change my opinion(s). LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:05

One of the best and most important bands from the past 35 years or so. 

Where album sales are concerned, sure. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:13
I edited my above post to add more lists of Judas Priest albums. Check them out(especially if you want to continue arguing). :) 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:14

I edited my above post to add more lists of Judas Priest albums. Check them out(especially if you want to continue arguing). :) 

I guess that's where you became confused. I was never "arguing." 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:16

One of the best and most important bands from the past 35 years or so. 

Where album sales are concerned, sure. LOL

I like some pop music. Not big into pop over all but some bands I think are good. U2 are one of the founders of alternative rock imo. They aren't one of my very, very favorite bands but I like them a lot. I'll admit part of it might have to do with my age. I was a teenager when they started to get really huge and decided to see what the fuss was about. I became a fan. I also like other bands from that era such as REM and Def Leppard. So sue me. :P 

Yeah, they had huge album sales too but more importantly huge concert attendances. They hold the record for largest stadium single band shows. Sure some stuff that is really super popular is crap but I happen to think U2 are a good band. Not prog though. I'm not someone who equates prog with only bands they like. :P 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 16 2019 at 17:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:19

I guess that's where you became confused. I was never "arguing." 

Then you aren't doing it right. LOL 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:21

I like some pop music. Not big into pop over all but some bands I think are good. U2 are one of the founders of alternative rock imo. They aren't one of my very, very favorite bands but I like them a lot. I'll admit part of it might have to do with my age. I was a teenager when they started to get really huge and decided to see what the fuss was about. I became a fan. I also like other bands from that era such as REM and Def Leppard. So sue me. :P

Same here. We're both fortysomethings, then. I simply don't like how U2 became the totem for "Irish rock" at the expense of Thin Lizzy and Horslips.

I'm not someone who equates prog with only bands they like. :P

Most people here don't do that, either. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>