Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Best 2nd Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which 2nd album from these Prog Rock staples is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [18.00%]
13 [13.00%]
10 [10.00%]
16 [16.00%]
30 [30.00%]
13 [13.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elnino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 07:03
Hi everyone. As I couldn't vote I decided to post reply and I vote for Jethro Tull - Stand Up :)

thanks 
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 08:13
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Trespass > Stand Up > Saucerful off Secrets

This
Prog On!
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 09:14
The one that's on the T-shirt I'm wearing
A Saucerful Of Secrets

Edited by Stool Man - January 17 2019 at 09:14
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 20:44
Stand Up is the best early Tull album, and is to my mind the best overall album in this list. However, the title track for Saucerful of Secrets deserves special mention, a real avant-garde milestone.
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 08:32
The Least We Can Do... is by far my favourite of these, being essentially a somewhat more accessible VDGG album, but still having some awesome moments like the ending of White Hammer. Stand Up is decent as well, although has some filler, Trespass has a questionable middle section, despite White Mountain and The Knife both being awesome. I'm not too keen on Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, nor am I a fan of Time And A Word. In THe Wake of Poseidon is also great, despite some clear similarities to their debut.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 09:14
Originally posted by Kempokid Kempokid wrote:

I'm not too keen on Syd Barrett Pink Floyd
Well Syd plays some guitar here but apart from the last three minutes he's hardly heard and the songs aren't his.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 03:18
The only album on the list that made it to number 1 on the UK album charts. (I think!)
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 08:08
From the list Stand Up
by Jethro Tull
other great 2nd álbuns :

Camel : Mirage
El&P : Tarkus
Gentle Giant : Acquiring the Taste
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 09:23
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

If this had been one of the choices, it would have gotten my vote over The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other (which got my vote).

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 09:32
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Van der Graaf. First of Three masterpieces.

Interesting... So you prefer H to He, Who Am the Only One over Godbluff ? Me too. Smile I've always been somewhat surprised that Godbluff rates higher than Pawn Hearts on this site.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 10:47
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Van der Graaf. First of Three masterpieces.

Interesting... So you prefer H to He, Who Am the Only One over Godbluff ? Me too. Smile I've always been somewhat surprised that Godbluff rates higher than Pawn Hearts on this site.

I'll go a step further.  I like all of the albums from Aerosol -> The Least -> H to He -> Pawn Hearts better than Godbluff.  Godbluff is a great album, but those 1st 4 are perfection to these ears Thumbs Up
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 14:49
Pink Floyd, and Yes and Genesis.
But I would go first for Gentle Giant and ELP.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 21:42
The seconds dont seem to be my faves. Goin with KC here.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 12:20
Trespass every time. But then it is in my top 3 Genesis albums in any case. I really don't know why it isn't more highly rated.
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2019 at 03:36
In the Wake of Poseidon takes the cake. What can I add... I feel that Stand Up is more even, but Poseidon peaks really high. In fact, most of these have ridiculously good highs, save for A Saucerful of Secrets and Time and a Word.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 11:27
This is the first time I have ever voted for something other than the JT option, sorry but I really do not like Stand Up or This Was at all. And as much as I like Trespass, I prefer Saucerful.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 17 2019 at 11:27
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 21:37
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

If this had been one of the choices, it would have gotten my vote over The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other (which got my vote). 
Agreed 

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 12:48
I'm surprised that Genesis has more votes....imho Tull and KC have far more to offer on their 2nd lp's.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 13:16
I actually went with VdGG on this one. I'm starting to really like that album.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123