Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People You Like Despite Not Loving Their Art

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: People You Like Despite Not Loving Their Art
    Posted: January 15 2019 at 13:20
I used the term "loving" so feel free to put down work you like. I'm still trying to think of one, but I know there are musicians whose music I like, but it's them I like more. I notice when I spend more time on interviews than the actual songs. I think part of that is also because you hear the music anyway (or in a documentary).

Miles Davis is the only one I can think of right now. Maybe some of it is his anger I like, or his refusal to kiss butt.

Edited by MortSahlFan - January 15 2019 at 17:35
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 13:52
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I used the term "loving" so feel free to put down work you like. I'm still trying to think of one, but I know there are musicians whose music I like, but it's them I like more. I notice when I spend more time on interviews than the actual songs. I think part of that is also because you hear the music anyway (or in a documentary).

Miles Davis is the only one I can think of right now. Maybe some of it is his anger I like, or his refusal to kiss butt.

Yeah maybe. Funnily I love Miles Davis art but after reading Milestones and Autobiography I don't like him very much.

I kind of like-or sympatize with Lady Gaga and been certain that I could enjoy her music if I had an open mind but no.

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 17:36
Wow - how on earth did my message turn out like that (I just edited).

I didn't read the book, but I can enjoy him from afar - I wasn't in his band, didn't have to see him, so basically what I get is the studio-chatter and interviews...

Frank Zappa would be a great example, too.. I like (not love) some instrumentals, but would rather see an interview of him, or testimony to Congress.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 18:20
hahah.. . easy man...

the Dixie f**king Chicks!!! LOLBeer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 18:00
My friend promotes a lot of bluegrass and Americana shows, and I知 really not a fan of that style of music. But I did get to meet a lot of them, and they were invariably funny, smart, kind, and not at all rednecky (unless you think a southern accent is rednecky). So I like em. But I知 not buying their albums or going to their shows. I値l have a beer with them again if given the chance.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 16 2019 at 18:05
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 18:35
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahah.. . easy man...

the Dixie f**king Chicks!!! LOLBeer

Beer

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

My friend promotes a lot of bluegrass and Americana shows, and I知 really not a fan of that style of music. But I did get to meet a lot of them, and they were invariably funny, smart, kind, and not at all rednecky (unless you think a southern accent is rednecky). So I like em. But I知 not buying their albums or going to their shows. I値l have a beer with them again if given the chance.

I lived in Nashville for about 9 years and met a lot of country music/bluegrass/Americana/blahblah people there.  Like the rock 'n' rollers I'd known, it was a fair mix of really nice people all the way to really big jerks.  What's funny is that, like the rockers, some with the roughest personas are the most pleasant in person, and vice versa.  Also, not a fan of that general set of music, so, like you, not buying it or going to the shows.  But I've had many memorable exchanges with them and think of them fondly as people and I can appreciate if they are really good at what they do, even if it's not my style.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply