9 [5.81%]
10 [6.45%]
48 [30.97%]
20 [12.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 19:16
Wetton's my favorite, but I voted for everyone except Belew...love his guitar playing, but can't stand his lyrics and vocals Evil Smile  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 20:13
With multiple options, Lake and Wetton are both going to dominate.  A straight fight between the two would have been more interesting.  Would probably still vote Lake but that would be a tough call.  Thought Wetton's performance on Firth of the Fifth with Hackett's band was great and it's totally uncharacteristic of his usual singing style.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 20:17
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

probably lake. 

i'd say wetton is my favorite though. 

This is me too. Best singer and favorite singer are two different questions. I like the song sung in the Whetton period better, but Lake is probably the better sheer talent. With all do respect to Epitaph, I thought his best vocal opportunities came about with ELP.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 20:21
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Wetton's my favorite, but I voted for everyone except Belew...love his guitar playing, but can't stand his lyrics and vocals Evil Smile  

Sorry to hear that. I really do like Belew's vocals.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 21:17
Lake very easily.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 21:20
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Lake by far. Wetton is a poor man's Greg Lake but he's second. Then Burrell, Haskell, Belew, Jakko.

I always liked Lake best, and have had problems enjoying Wetton's singing. However, as far as bass playing goes, it's another story altogether. Strangely enough, some of the songs in which I have liked Wetton's singing best have been some originally sung by Lake. Still, I wish I could have heard Lake singing things like Exiles and Starless.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 23:12
I think my order would be:

John Wetton, the best
followed by
jakko jakszyk
adrian belew
greg lake

listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 02:39
Lake

Burrell
Belew
Wetton
Haskell
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 02:45
tough choice, I only know Belew is my least favorite LOL Good singer, no doubt, but...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 03:12
I think I agree with those who considers Lake the best but who's favorite is Wetton
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 04:51
Lake, Wetton and Belew were all great vocalists and all fitted the style of the band at the time perfectly (or rather contributed with their vocals to define it). Even Haskell was fine and almost up there with the other three; and I don't have complaints against Jakko either.

Edited by Lewian - January 17 2019 at 04:52
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 05:30
Mr. Lake, followed by Mr. Wetton.
Jakko's no slouch, either.

Edited by Mormegil - January 17 2019 at 05:31
Welcome to the middle of the film.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 10:38
Nope, Jakko is definitely no slouch at all. He absolutely nailed it when we saw him in Cardiff.

I would put him level second with Lake, and Wetton top. The Wetton period is my favourite, although I have also grown to appreciate Belew more as the years have passed.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 13:39
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I really do like Belew's vocals.

That's cool...I know there are tons who love Belew's vox in Crimson.  I should clarify, to me he often tries too hard to be "weird" and comes off like David Byrne - a style that always seemed a poor match for King Crimson.  I will admit though there are a handful of Crimson songs I think Belew's lyrics/vocals work really well so maybe I'm being too hard on him (Dig Me, Indiscipline, ProzaKC Blues, Cage, Happy to be Happy...).  I guess the real issue is I'm one of those few Crimson fans who thinks they should have stuck with their original plan and called the 80's band Discipline as it was a new stylistic beginning and approach.  That said, maybe I don't dislike his Crimson style as much as I originally posted, but I still prefer all the other vocalists in the poll ahead of him and won't give him a vote LOL

OTOH, I absolutely love Belew's lyrics and vocals on his solo albums,  especially Lone Rhino and Twang Bar King Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 17 2019 at 13:41
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 16:40
Hard to choose, since each one of them was the singer in a different time and facet of their music, and they do a great job adjusting to the band's sound. I guess my favorites are Lake and Wetton, and I'm having a hard time deciding who gets my vote., 
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 20:37
I am surprised that Adrian Belew is not receiving more support. While I love the 73-74 Crimson for their instrumental prowess and improvisation, I think Belew is by far the best Crimson vocalist, and also lyricist. His lyrics add considerable depth to the compositions, and his voice is so unique and his singing so melodic. There are actually only a few excellent lyrics in the early Crimson period (Schizoid Man, Starless, only a few others - most of the best other early Crimson tunes were instrumentals or it was their instrumental parts that made the tune). However, Belew has written tons of great songs - a really original songwriter. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 21:06
My very favourite vocal performance on King Crimson... and among my very favourites of any song, is on Epitaph. Now, who among the King Crimson singers could have done justice to that one singing it live? I have heard Jakko try it out and it just doesn't work. Or which other singer from any other band might do that one right?
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJoker7169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 01:45
From this professional singer's perspective, it's Belew fairly easily.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 02:00
Voted for Greg Lake and John Wetton. I would have picked Jakko Jakszyk as well if he were on this list.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 02:51
Wetton, Lake, Belew, Jakszyk, Haskell, Burrell. In that order.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>