Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What would be your final track?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 18:20
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Great choice!

Heart  you really are such a sweetie.

You know.. that has been a favorite song of mine for many years.  In a musical sense, only within the last decade or so did that really hit me hard in a lyrical sense.  Neil really was on point when he said that Stephen was not only the heart and soul of that group (as he was was CSN(and Y)  was was also f**king brilliant.  Generally I am not a lyrics kind of guy.. more certainly when it comes to prog where my distain for most of it is well known.... but you know. Just sometimes... the lyrics (which took me years due to the shear kickassery of the music itself to fully appreciate) just connect with you and speak to you and at you.  

that final verse in conjunction with the musical coda to me .. is just pure musical perfection and speaks to those who continue to exist but have been severely wounded by the harshness and impersonality of life itself. Still able to feel but with a hardness of heart that only the real survivors of the worse that life can throw at you can fully appreciate. 

Awwww, shucks.  Not always.  First husband said I had an acid tongue.  I often wondered why he wanted to provoke that.  LOL  

You know I'm a big fan of those Buffaloes.  There was something about that particular set of people in the same room playing music together that just created magic.  But I think you're right, the real sorcery was Stephen.  He was just as fine a lyricist as Neil, had a great voice and Little Baby Fleasus, could he play the guitar.  

I am also a big fan of a great lyric and/or clever turns of phrase (note my signature), as well as delving deeply into purely sonic heights and depths.  I even enjoy a fair amount of music with lyrics that I don't even understand, just for the feeling of it.  I am a voracious reader and love words and word-play, never pass up a chance to make a really bad pun.  

And yes, he captures that sweet melancholy of all of the harms that can be done to the innocent in that final lyric....and then watches her go home and go home.  Broken Heart
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 21:01
Perhaps Cardiacs - The Whole World Window, I found it to be so incredibly emotional as the outro came in, with the saxophone and everything else, just amazing.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:10
Forgot about this one...but it and 12 Dreams are one of my favorites of all time....

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:13
Great band, good choice!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:24
^One of my favorites from the old days....unique sound and great songs.
They tend to get lost in the shuffle when people talk about older bands. I was always disappointed that Ferguson left and formed Jo Jo Gunne...and California bounced in and out. They just didn't have that same intensity and spark that Spirit had...and Spirit was never the same after that.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:41
Yeah, Jo Jo Gunne was pretty lame compared to Spirit, even with Jay Ferguson's great voice.  Spirit was the second act I ever saw live (second-billed at a Moody Blues concert at The Forum in LA).  And Randy's step-dad Ed, was a great guy and a great drummer.  So sad Randy drowned, I guess they never found his body.  Great underacclaimed guitarist.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 12:12
If you thought Jo Jo Gunne was lame, then you must have loved Ferguson's 1977 vanity piece Thunder Island with its memorable lyric, "Makin' love out on Thunder Island."

Edited by Rednight - February 11 2019 at 12:13
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 12:37
Oh, that was hideous.  He was taking Top 10'in' too seriously.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 13:44
Lame or not, I have always loved this one since my mid-teens:

Edited by someone_else - February 11 2019 at 13:46
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 13:57
^ For a second or two I thought that was going to be a version of the Eagles/Browne song...LOL.....,
at any rate that Gunne song is a decent rock tune but lacks any of the interesting Spirit vibes they brought to their songs.

Haquin
hooked View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 12:14
Atlantean Kodex - Sol Invictus

(How can I enter this as a pic?)
sunflower421 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflower421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 04:34
Jackson Browne - Running on Empty
sunflower421 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflower421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 04:35
I think that’s who sang it. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123