Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can and more, or rather Jaki

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can and more, or rather Jaki
    Posted: January 20 2019 at 06:20
I tried to attach this to a 2017 thread that I had opened on Can and projects of its former members, but I can't do that, it's closed.
Anyway, I just wanted to post this video. It's from 2012 but I only came across it now. Some jamming with Jaki involved, of course unmistakable drumming, otherwise pretty ambient but I like it a lot. There are quite a number of things flying around on the internet with Jaki or Holger or Damo or Irmin or Michael that have not been released regularly. 

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 08:20
^Amazing! A real treasure. Unreleased, right?

Few seem to care about-or like Jaki&Rosko's Phantom Band very much. Ok so they vere a little uneven, but I think they had a lot of qualities and there's no reason Can-fans shouldn't dig at least some of their tunes (not refferring to you Lewian, who knows and loves a lot more Can-related than myself). From their 1980-debut:

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 08:46
Yes, unreleased. I'm overall not the biggest fan on the Phantomband by the way, but these two are very well chosen!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 09:07
^Hehe I not a big fan myself but a big enough fan of Can to take great pleasure in even the smallest of related gems I can locate. I guess Nowhere is my favorite PB-album and the one release by them I consider to be solid from start to finish. I listened to it earlier today and was reminded just how much I actually enjoy it...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 14:06
I love Phantom Band. Their first with Rosko is kind of a spacey-soul-funk hybrid and the other 2 with Sheldon Ancel are nuts - Freedom of Speech is almost punky and Nowhere is spacey. Great band with Jaki.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 15:07
I love Jail, a band Jaki appeared in that had one album in 1976 called You Can Help Me, also featuring Roland Schaeffer from Brainstorm and Juergen Fritz and Helmut Koellen from Triumvirat, among others. Their sound is towards the mainstream, but quite nice, and never trite. I am facebook friends with their main guitarist Burkhard Lipps-Thielen, and their manager, Hans-Juergen Ferdinand-Schutte, both quite nice chaps!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 15:16
Terrific music Lewian I need this !
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 16:28
Nice...great stuff
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 06:56
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Nice...great stuff

Time was ... when this was being played like a week after its release ... it's so long ago, I can't even remember how long ago that was, but I sure miss Space Pirate Radio for playing all of these things ... and we just sat there ... wow ... 

It was way better than any dope, btw!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 14:41
Burnt Friedman & Jaki, 2013

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 02:47
The 6 volumes of Irmin Schmidt soundtrack Music are essential in my opinion.

Love this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVKuiMWdm8U
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 04:51
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Anyway, I just wanted to post this video. It's from 2012 but I only came across it now.
Out of curiosuty: Is it just the video/upload that's from 2012? I would have guessed the recording session itself was from longer ago. But I found out Polonski was born in 1972, so it can't be as old as I first thought.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 06:55
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Anyway, I just wanted to post this video. It's from 2012 but I only came across it now.
Out of curiosuty: Is it just the video/upload that's from 2012? I would have guessed the recording session itself was from longer ago. But I found out Polonski was born in 1972, so it can't be as old as I first thought.

Hayo Stahl, who posted this, wrote that he couldn't remember precisely anymore who had taken part in the session. So it must be older than 2012. No year is given but it seems to be a spin-off product of Club off Chaos, whose only release is from 1998. Chances are it's around that time.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 06:58
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

The 6 volumes of Irmin Schmidt soundtrack Music are essential in my opinion.

Love this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVKuiMWdm8U

This is such a wonderful track! Rote Erde was pretty big on German TV in the early eighties, and this was released first in 1983, I think.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 16:03
If a band can survive to the global warming; this is CAN
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 03:44
Jaki is the God of Groove. Been spinning some Can lately (Future Days and Landed). What an AMAZING band. Sadly, only Irmin left......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 03:46
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Jaki is the God of Groove. Been spinning some Can lately (Future Days and Landed). What an AMAZING band. Sadly, only Irmin left......
What? Damo is still alive isn't he?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 07:29

Yes, and still doing his thing in concert. And FINALLY. some blips and pieces are now showing up of him talking about it all, although he is still not talking about where it came from, being that it has a relation to theater and film.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 07:37

Very much so. Quite a bit of 2019 live material of him is around on youtube.

I particularly love this, although I don't know when it was recorded.
Actually what he does is still pretty close to early 70s Can. If this is your cup of tea, Damo's live improvisation work is an almost infinite reservoir. Personally I have mixed feelings. I have seen him live a few times and when it all clicks and the sound quality is good (which it isn't always, this is not only a youtube issue), it's great, but it can also be a rather annoying wall of noise at times. As much as I love first half 70s Can, I'm rather with Czukay regarding "always try out something new".
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 14:40
^ Soz - how could I forget Damo - legend. Dunno if Mooney is still around though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>