Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums that changed your view about the band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreol263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums that changed your view about the band
    Posted: January 21 2019 at 17:02
Comment on those albums that completely changed your view on some band, that you previously didn't like or even liked before, but then everything changed with that one album LOL
For me, a band would be Cardiacs, never got into any of the most famous albums from them, A Little Man and a House... was the first album that i've heard from the band, never clicked on me and i found it really boring, even trying to listen to it multiple times, then i tried Sing to God, after some grinding on listening to this albums i've found SOME musics that i've liked really much(Eden on the Air, Dog-Like Sparky, Fairy Mary Mag, Diry Boy are some of them), but it was a really forced process, it never clicked on me spontaneously. But then, i come to give this band another chance, and that time i choose On Land And In The Sea, and man, the first time i heard that album, almost all songs clicked in the same instant, soo much that i prefer to listen to the album in it's whole, every song is really good to my ears,  and even made my like Sing to God even more, but not their 1988 album, i think i'm never gonna like it tho, but On Land And In The Sea and some part of Sing to God is excellent musicClapClap.
So have you had any experience like that? 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 22:20
Great concept for a thread, I'll be back soon with my own ideas! Thumbs Up

Edited by cstack3 - January 21 2019 at 22:20
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 00:00
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing . I didn't like Stupid Dream at all and then forgot about them until I heard Deadwing. This is much more basic and close to metal so probably why I liked it. I now like most of Steven Wilson's output but might not have bothered or cared at all but for Deadwing.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 02:39
Certainly Exit Stage..Left by Rush changed my view on the band. Before that I had only heard New World Man, and based on that, I didn't even consider them a rock band, let alone a good one! My tastes were extremely heavy at the time, though..

Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree, for similar reasons. I'd heard early stuff, which had left me cold, and although I wouldn't consoder myself a huge fan of the band, I regard In Absentia as a classic album, which would probably be in the upper end of my top ten all time albums.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 03:04
- Porcupine Tree - In Absentia: I had heard some of the previous stuff and was less than impressed, but In Absentia clicked right away

- Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard: the band made a quantum leap with this album, with the addition of David Longdon, Dave Gregory and Nick D'Virgilio full time, they produced their first masterpiece.

- Not Prog, but Extreme - III Sides to Every Story: from being just a metal band with a stellar guitarist, they managed to make a very mature album with quite sophisticated songs, vocal harmonies, orchestrations, heavily influenced by Queen and with a 3rd Side which is undeniably a Prog suite of 21 minutes split in 3 movements. 

More will surely come to mind.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 11:35
The first group of albums that come to mind were those when my 70's prog favorites drastically tried to change with the times and became something I really didn't like anymore.  Not to say these 'change of direction' albums were all completely awful, and there was still a song here and there that I still was really into, but with these albums I dropped from regularly loving 80% or more of the songs on the band's albums to 20% or less Ouch

Tull - A
Yes - 90125
Genesis - Genesis
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece
Crimson - Discipline

The 2nd group are albums where the band changed direction (either consciously or through replacing key band members) to something I no longer was into.

ELP - Works (With 4 years since the last studio album, I was expecting something even greater than BSS.  Works actually disappointed me more than Love Beach because my expectations had been drastically reduced)
Camel - Rain Dances (Doug Ferguson replaced with Richard Sinclair took the band in a much more jazz/canterbury oriented direction which was ok, but not nearly as cool as the 1st albums)
Eno - Music for Films (signalled the end of his quirky prog song albums)
PG -So (after 3 mind bending albums, this one seemed so ordinary)
Gong - You (hard to explain, but just seems more serious and less whimsical than their previous albums...it never fits musically in the radio gnome trilogy for me)
Marillion - Season's End (no longer Fishy)
Queen - News of the World (the transition from eclectic quirkiness to stadium rock)
REM - Green (Michael no longer mumbling ruined the mystery of the lyrics)
Rush - Grace Under Pressure (1st Rush album I disliked more songs than I liked)
Twelfth Night - Art & Illusion (no Geoff Mann)
Ange - Vu D'un Chien (new guitar and bass player brought a huge drop in quality and style they've never recovered from to me)
Black Sabbath - Sabotage (even Tony's most evil riff ever - Symptom of the Universe - wasn't enough to keep one of my first favorite bands from slipping away)
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 11:43
I would have to say Morning View by Incubus was the album that closed the door on that band for me. 
I got into Incubus with Science and loved that record. Then came Make Yourself which still has some elements of the previous album but the mellow started to creep in. When Morning View was released the writing was on the wall for me. Gone was most of the energy and chaos of Science, replaced by mellower, more accessible tunes. I was done.

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 12:46
Kashmir - The Good Life (1999)

Kashmir is a Danish band formed around 1991 (taking the name from the Led Zeppelin song). They originally played a sort of mix between grunge and funk. They were hugely popular at my boarding school in 1998-99, and their albums were played to the point of nausea. I couldn't quite relate to it back then, and I probably partly didn't like them because everyone else seemed to praise them rather critiquelessly.

But they changed direction in 1999 with The Good Life, moving towards a more emotional and layered rock form with clear inspiration from f.e. Pink Floyd, U2, Jeff Buckley and Radiohead. Listening to the album was quite a revelation for me personally, and it remained one of my favourite albums for many years. I later learned to like their earlier stuff too, especially after getting past the bording school.

To illustrate the contrast: Here is a song from their previous album, Cruzential: www.youtube.com/watch?v=comU5XMNicE

And here is The Good Life in its entirety: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNa_tYYnUzE&index=1&list=OLAK5uy_nQzPHZf82lPePZb-iTp_ptmhdfayM9NRU (a CD, or Spotify, is more useful though, as many of the songs are crossfading)

Some trivia: The Good Life was mixed, and partly produced, by James Guthrie. A couple of years later, the guitarist, lead singer and songwriter Kasper Eistrup was considered a possible lead guitarist for a Roger Waters tour.

David Bowie sings the second verse of their 2005 single "The Cynic". The album on which it appears, No Balance Palace, is produced by Toni Visconti. Lou Reed also appears on the album, reciting a text on one of the tracks.

Edited by The Anders - January 22 2019 at 13:47
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 13:03
Yes - relayer 

I didn't know a whole lot about them when I first heard it but it really took me by surprise. I never heard anything like it before that and I'm not sure I have heard anything like it since. Another one by Yes would be The Ladder. Not that it's the only unique album in their catalog but like relayer I don't think there aren't many(if any) albums like it in their catalog. It showed a more mature and world music influenced side to the band. I don't mind their poppier albums either because they also showed a different side to the band. I think like Rush this was a band who did what they wanted to do and in some ways maybe even more so than Rush especially later on.

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 13:08
Many changed my opinion for the worse, especially in the 80s when great bands were selling out faster than super bowl tickets.

The only ones that jump out as moving in a positive direction were because of major personnel changes.  Like the Moody Blues picking up Justin Hayward.  I might say the same thing about Iron Maiden, but even that didn't completely change my opinion as while I much prefer Dickinson, the first incarnation was also quite good.  I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I had much greater appreciation for Van Hagar than Van Roth. 

I guess I could also say that I thought Soundgarden was just pretty noisy based on their first two albums, but they became truly musical without losing their edge on Badmotorfinger.  I might even say something similar with Death Angel on their third album, Act III.  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 13:30
Thinking Plague - the Early Plague Years compilation which includes the first two Thinking Plague albums (A Thinking Plague and Moonsongs).

The first Thinking Plague album that I heard was In Extremis, which is often thought to be the band's masterpiece, but it didn't resonate much at all with me (that said, that was a fairly early foray for me into the worlds of "Avant Prog").    Early Plague Years changed my opinion of the band and then I quickly got In This Life which helped to solidify my respect for the band. I;m still not as keen on In Extremis as I am the earlier material or the later A History of Madness, but it has been quite some years since I last listened to In Extremis.

As for Cardiacs, I didn't much like much of what I originally heard of the band (too zany), but "Dirty Boy" made me a fan.   My first album to own was Sing to God, and I liked about half of it at first (now I like it all). Right now I am most into On Land and in the Sea, but I have been obsessed with various Cardiacs albums, including A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window. Give it some time Vinicius, you might just grow to appreciate more Cardiacs' discography, including A Little Man.... I found On Land and in the Sea a little harder to altogether love than A Little Man..., Sing to God and Songs for Ships and Irons, but then I guess what you find boring might be part of what drew me deep into Cardiacs music (I commonly favour rather gentler, mellow, pastoral music, loungy music and simple folk, and despite my penchant for Avant, my tastes have been called muzaky (I like contrast which is a reason I like Cardiacs). For me, On Land had too much harshness, though songs like Leader of the Starry Skies was instant love.

Edited by Logan - January 22 2019 at 13:32
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 17:44
Talk Talk: Spirit of Eden.

From synth-pop, or mainstream sound, to post-rock.

And a similar passage was made by Blur with 13, 
even though they did not achieve the same results.
Anyway, both brave, if only because it means selling less records and losing part of your audience.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 17:58
I must be a strange bird...  I thought about this for a bit and you know. I can't think of a single damn instance. Sure some bands went downhill.. some did sh*tty albums... some improved as they went.. some did great albums.

Perhaps having an understanding that creativity is a very finite element and 99.9 of most bands will change styles and sounds as they go can keep one from thinking about how single albums might change an opinion of a band. It really is silly if one things about it to base an opinion, much less change one based on a single album.  It is whole of their output which should be the basis of one's opinion of a band.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 18:37

In the beginning I could take or leave King Crimson.  Then 'Larks` Tongues In Aspic' came out.  I was hooked for life.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 19:12
^Oh hell yeah. That changed my view of music and rock in general. That and relayer were my two wtf is this albums and the reason I like both and are among my very favorites to this day.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 22:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I must be a strange bird...  I thought about this for a bit and you know. I can't think of a single damn instance. Sure some bands went downhill.. some did sh*tty albums... some improved as they went.. some did great albums.

Perhaps having an understanding that creativity is a very finite element and 99.9 of most bands will change styles and sounds as they go can keep one from thinking about how single albums might change an opinion of a band. It really is silly if one things about it to base an opinion, much less change one based on a single album.  It is whole of their output which should be the basis of one's opinion of a band.

I may well be talking at cross-purposes as I'm too tired to parse your post well.

I sometimes say that I'm not a fan of bands generally so much as releases/ music by certain bands. My opinion of a band has more to do with the music I love by the band than the whole output. Many bands which I would say that I love, I haven't even heard the whole output.

There have been various cases where I've first heard music that didn't resonate with me for whatever reason, and then I heard other music later that I did like, and my appreciation opened up. In various cases I grew to enjoy the music I had first heard -- sometimes an album that is accessible to you at a given time can help you to appreciate more material.

Its not about the inherent quality of the music for me commonly, it's just about taste and inclination (and my tastes can change somewhat on a daily basis). Sometimes I just heard music at the wrong time in my music journey, and had I heard it later or in a different mood I might have enjoyed it.

Getting back to my experience of Thinking Plague, my first TP album In Extremis is the highest rated album, but it just didn't click for me, but then when I got the earlier material I could say that I really did appreciate the band, and I could appreciate In Extremis more than I did.

For another one that I should have mentioned in my last post: Tangerine Dream's Phaedra was my first Tangerine Dream album and it didn't click, but then I got Electronic Meditation (years later) and I loved it immediately. I then got Alpha Centauri, Zeit, and Atem and loved those. I would say that I loved pre-Phaedra Tangerine Dream. I then got Ricochet and loved that, then other 70s albums, and then I found that I really liked Phaedra but thought I didn't like 80s Tangerine Dream. Then I found that I liked plenty of 80s Tangerine Dream. I still haven't heard most Tangerine Dream, but I feel like I love and know enough to call myself a fan, and getting into those other albums really did change my perspective on the band. That said, I never thought that TD was poor. Doesn't matter if I don't know or like everything that TD has done, my perception shifted as I explored more and more music. Overall it's been more of an evolution, but hearing Electronic Meditation was a revelation to me which opened up TD doors and opened up doors to more music period (I've long loved electronic music, but TD got me exploring more related music).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 06:53
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Thank you ... I'm not the only one.

Because I DO NOT listen to any music as songs, by ANYONE or ANY BAND, I do not have this issue at all ... for me, the music itself may have CHANGED MY LIFE VIEW, but my view of the band did not change, and neither did the appreciation, although I did not follow bands like YES after RELAYER and Jethro Tull after MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY, because I really thought that the value of the content and music, was dropped for something less important. But I had been with them for so long already, that it was not surprising, when the EUROPEAN scene took over for me ... they made a lot more sense than an English band just writing songs, which got really tiresome for me, and BORING. This, even happened to AD2, after the song APOCALYPTIC BORE, which basically said ... goodbye to meaningful music, and even though they did it with a full blast, it was like ... oh well ... ciao baby ... nice fun lay ... time for another joint somewhere else.

It is, very weird for me, that we would "change" so simply about something as easy as stuff like this, just by snapping your fingers ... I find that we must be really empty inside for that to happen, specially when you are thinking that what the band has to offer is more important THAN WHAT YOU OFFER.

That is just plain weird and bizarre, specially when so much of the music out there is fluff and not really worth its weight in cotton, or gold.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 08:45
Opeth Heritage

Death to the death growls!!!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 09:07
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
It was the first 70s release by them I ever bought and only having heard the pop stuff they play over the radio, it was indeed quite the wake-up call. ‘What? Peter Gabriel in Genesis?’ ‘A guitar solo?’ ‘What is this beautiful madness??’

Kraftwerk - l
The orange traffic cone one. This was back when I was 14 maybe 15 and caught me quite by surprise. Firstly because I saw the date on the back cover completely surprised by the fact that Kraftwerk existed before Autobahn. Secondly the music. ‘Holy batman what is happening??’ ‘I looove it but I have absolutely no clue what’s going on!’ ‘Kraftwerk used real instruments?’
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 10:06
^^^ Please excuse any digressions. We’re changing constantly. We are literally not identical to the person we were a second ago even if it seems so. Even the seemingly most petty things affect us and create new neural pathways. Some experiences, though, are more transformative, and affect our psyches more obviously, than others. There is a relationship between the listener and the music of course, and each listener is important as every person filters the music differently. We all bring our own experiences and associations into the listening process. what the band has to offer is important in how it affects us as individuals, and the paths that lead from it. Will you choose Tangerine Dream’s Phaedra or Isao Tomita's The Bermuda Triangle. The choice is yours (not that I believe in free will/ agency . How much will it ultimately affect your Bandersnatch progress, well not much. I do think that one man’s treasure can be another man’s turd, and what resonates with an individual depends on a whole host of environmental and heredity factors) and what one appreciates at one time one might not appreciate at another time. Hermeneutics and audience reception aesthetics is an interesting topic. Each listener brings their own meaning to the music, and has a different experience, and that is important on the individual level. Change is inevitable where we like it or not, though some are more resistant to change than others. I believe in trying to keep an open mind, be ultimately agnostic on all things, and be open to new evidence. My perception has often perceptibly shifted when hearing new music by a band, and have gained a new appreciation. Do I feel empty inside, yes, so I do try to fill up that void with things such as music, films, novel, podcasts. I do wish that I were more creative and was making content that others would enjoy and would give me some more self-esteem. Hearing more material (be it new-to-you albums or songs)can perceptibly alter one’s life view, and give greater insight into the artistry, but ultimately there’s your peculiar perception of the artistry, and it’s not a global, absolute truth, but phenomenally subjective.

We may think about what the music, novel, whatever brings to us Id rather say bringing than offering) and whether we think about that or not, it is bringing us something, but we are also bringing something to the music on a personal level that is unique and special. The creators matter and the audience matters, it’s an interesting relationship.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>