Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Neal Morse and Robert Wyatt

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these artists speaks more to you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [31.25%]
22 [68.75%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neal Morse and Robert Wyatt
    Posted: January 24 2019 at 16:37
This is not meant to be a contest, this is about hearing from the the fans of each artist more than comparing the two, if you can parse what I mean. It's a poll, and a Wyatt and/or Morse appreciation thread in one.

So... Two very different artists, which one speaks to you more? Feel free to take into account any and all work that the artists have been directly involved with/ worked on the albums of (solo, band, any collaborations, guest vocals etc.) Just vote for and talk about whichever you like. And this is about the whole musical package of the artists, not any one specific trait (such as singing, composition etc.) or project. Feel free to vote even if you only know one of the choices.

Some with long memories might recall that I did a poll matching these artists years ago (Wyatt with Matching Mole's "God Song" vs Morse's "God Theme" as I recall) but I am not wishing to court any controversy on this, and you won't find either of those as samples in this post either.

A few samples from each if any are interested (sorry if you think my choices are poor and would have rather seen other projects highlighted below such as The Neal Morse Band or samples from Wyatt with News From Babel -- six embedded videos already puts a strain on some when it comes to page load):

Robert Wyatt - "Little Red Robin Hood Hit The Road"

Sot Machine - "Moon in June"

Matching Mole - "Marchides"

Neal Morse - "Author of Confusion"

Spock's Beard - "Revelation"

Tranatlantic - "Mystery Train"

Personally, I adore Robert.

I was thinking about doing a like/love both equally option (I don't like dislike both options generally), but if that's the case, you can just mention it in the thread.

Edited by Logan - January 24 2019 at 16:44
Just a fanboy passin' through.
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 16:49
Neal Morse, even though I am not fond of the religious theme. But the music is very good. 
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 19:08
I know very little about Neal Morse. Just some albums of Spock's Beard. He is one of the many musicians I have to deepen. But I dare to vote for Robert Wyatt because Wyatt is for me one of the absolute geniuses of twentieth century music. In fact, even if he was not in Soft Machines, participating in the masterpiece that is III, and had not founded Matching Mole, with relative other masterpiece, it would be enough Rock Bottom to make Wyatt a genius approached by very few other artists. In front of Rock Bottom, Soft Machine and Matching Mole discs do not compare. And those of Spock's Bears look like the art of a good craftsman in front of Michelangelo.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - January 24 2019 at 19:11
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 21:39
I have all the Spock's Beard albums, the Transatlantic studio albums, and some of Neal Morse's solo albums. While there is some good/great music there, I actually don't think that N Morse is the best feature. He is a good lyric writer, but uses his skills too often to preach, and his songs often (but not always) leave a saccharine sappy taste. Nick D'Virgilio was (to my mind) the best SB singer, but not the best lyricist (mild understatement), but it is Nick, Ryo and Alan Morse that stand out in SB for me. I also think John Boegehold has become the better (best?) SB song-writer and lyricist. 

Meanwhile, Robert Wyatt is such a unique and musical artist, really no one can compare. Rock Bottom is among the best albums, and I have a very personal attachment to it. But Wyatt's other work is also great. Wyatt's music could easily be its own genre, it is so original. Long from now, I think it is Wyatt who will be remembered. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 22:25
If this was just Wyatt solo and Morse solo I might tip it to Morse, but if we are including SM and MM, then this is a no contest for British santa. Both are those are special bands. 

I consider it one of the biggest tragedies in music Wyatt's fall out of that window that paralyzed him. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 23:28
Apples and Oranges, I think.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 00:53
I like Robert, I love Neal.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 01:43
Robert Wyatt all day
Songs cast a light on you
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 02:52
Speaking of lyrics I'm normally not that much interested in them. So I won't hold them against Morse (which I'd probably had done otherwise), however Wyatt has written a few songs that made me appreciate the lyrcs a lot, and that's very very difficult in my case.

Other than that Wyatt has some real magic, his voice as well as his compositions, quirky but deep and fascinating, and others than Morse would have a hard time in a poll against him.

Regarding Neal Morse, I respect him as a musician and can listen well to some things he did, but he hasn't come up with anything really special and groundbreaking from my point of view, so no contest really.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 03:07
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

more like Majorica pearls and pearls produced by a Pinctada maxima
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 05:37
Can't recall hearing much of Wyatt's work, but I've heard a lot of Morse's, so he gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 06:30
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Regarding Neal Morse, I respect him as a musician and can listen well to some things he did, but he hasn't come up with anything really special and groundbreaking from my point of view, so no contest really.

I think that sums it up nicely, although I do find it a somewhat strange comparison.

Edited by chopper - January 25 2019 at 06:30
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 06:56
Various terrific posts in this thread, thank you.

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

more like Majorica pearls and pearls produced by a Pinctada maxima

Robert Wyatt is a a pearl of great worth to me. I wasn't planning to bring religion into it, though that's one of the more interesting contrasts to be found with these artists, and so it's hard to avoid, but since pearls were mentioned:

"Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it" (Matthew 13:46).

Do you like apples and oranges? Apples and oranges, sure, or perhaps oranges and lemons, but not apples and motorcycles. Very different I said, but how comparatively different, well that's open to discussion. I wasn't that familiar with Neal Morse, but going through his music, there are plenty of similarities in pieces by each to be found beyond both having notes and using instruments. That said, various associations I make may not be ones that others would hear or notice so much.

I like apples, but I think I'd go with oranges. I prefer marmalade to apple sauce, but I was trying to convey in my opening post that one need not compare/contrast (to contrast one will compare and the two can be synonymous) these artists (or know both), nor need one have a preference to comment, nor need one know both to vote or comment in this topic. One might think of it more as an appreciation thread for Robert Wyatt or Neal Morse, or for Robert Wyatt and Neal Morse (though Neal Morse already has a very long appreciation thread).

I like drama and comedy (and dramedies), and that might, in a sense, be considered a similar apples and oranges comparison, and depending on the day, I can be biased towards one or the other -- the same could be said of classical and jazz, though of course there can overlap (like with modal jazz). If you asked me if classical and jazz "spoke to me more", I would have to give it some thought, but I'd go with whatever I most felt like listening to at that given time and mention that I love both classical and jazz music.

While I have done polls in the past that highlight the similarities, as well as the differences, between artists who would be thought of as coming from very different places and appeal to different audiences generally (I like to appeal to people's creativity in approach, and often have done ones where people could approach it from different angles), I was taking a rather different approach this time (see OP) as I have had complaints of polls of mine being too apples and oranges before. When approaching such a poll, I would be bound to draw comparisons, but it is not a requirement for voting or for talking about either artist in this thread. One need not even know both to vote and comment. One could love both and comment and talk about what you like about each and not make a choice between the two in terms of preference, like one but not the other, like neither etc. What's interesting to me is what people have to say about either or both of the artists, how the music has affected them etc. and any meta discussion and tangents can be fun too.

Edited by Logan - January 25 2019 at 07:14
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 08:23
Robert Wyatt gets my vote. Though I appreciate Neal Morse's music, and he is a quite prolific music writer, his songs are quite predictable, and most of the time follow a very specific pattern, mainly the long pieces. Robert Wyatt has always been more inventive and loves to explore sounds, beats, time signatures, etc.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 08:46
Neal Morse. I love Robert Wyatt but Morse has moved me in a way very few artists have.
And the new album kicks ass!!!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 00:17
Neal Morse 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply