Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - VdGG - The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VdGG - The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What track waves the most at you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [27.59%]
4 [13.79%]
7 [24.14%]
1 [3.45%]
1 [3.45%]
8 [27.59%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VdGG - The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other
    Posted: January 25 2019 at 16:21
So, another Van der Graaf Generator poll. I'm going with "Darkness".

Edited by Logan - January 25 2019 at 16:24
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 16:28
Yes! Another VDGG thread; I'm not the only one this week LOL Clap

Darkness gets my vote.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 16:49
Brutal choice.  I love all of them about equally, but I'll have to go with White Hammer.  Every time I hear Hugh's church organ coupled with those lyrics I feel like I'm back in 1486 seeing it happen.  And that ending section...VDGG invented death/doom metal and didn't need distorted guitars Evil Smile

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 25 2019 at 16:50
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 16:57
Tough choice. 

Ill go with White Hammer today, but could of easly been Darkness or After The Flood 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 17:37
Darkness has such a great saxophone element to it, I'd probably go with that
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 19:17
Super tough, but After the Flood is epic and apocalyptic, getting my vote. Love this album.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 20:41
When I decided to get into VDGG, I ordered their best rated albums all at once, without having heard their music previously. The first album I put was this, and of course the first track was Darkness. If it hadn't been for this being the first song I heard from them, I might have given up with them all too soon, but I really loved this song and it was the hook I needed to keep on listening to the band until it clicked. It remains one of my favourites from the band.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 02:57
This was a tough choice, but I decided to give my vote to After the Flood.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 08:34
Very hard to choose, and after a lot of thinking, I'll go with After the Flood, but I love the whole album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 11:13
Just listened to the album (once again) on headphones last night and want to say Nic Potter's bass lines are a huge reason this album is so great (his playing on "Refugees" is especially brilliant).  I know there's a recent thread about most underappreciated guitarists, but if there was a similar thread for bassists I'd put Nic at the top...and Hugh at the top of most underappreciated keyboardists Wink

Pawn Hearts is my fave VDGG album, but followed very closely by The Least...both amazing albums.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 15:35
White Hammer 🔨
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 19:55
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Just listened to the album (once again) on headphones last night and want to say Nic Potter's bass lines are a huge reason this album is so great (his playing on "Refugees" is especially brilliant).  I know there's a recent thread about most underappreciated guitarists, but if there was a similar thread for bassists I'd put Nic at the top...and Hugh at the top of most underappreciated keyboardists Wink

Pawn Hearts is my fave VDGG album, but followed very closely by The Least...both amazing albums.

Indeed I wish Nic Potter would have stayed with the band longer. His bass playing really sounds beautiful on this album, and is missed in the later albums.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 20:11
Very Tough choice.

Voted After The Flood
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 09:37
Hmmm Darkness, Hammer and Flood...all brilliant.

but it has to be Refugees.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 13:18
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Indeed I wish Nic Potter would have stayed with the band longer. His bass playing really sounds beautiful on this album, and is missed in the later albums.

I'm torn on this...I love Nic's style on the 1st 3 albums, but I can't argue with perfection as Pawn Hearts (my fave VDGG album, not to mention fave prog album of all time) credits Hugh on bass guitar.  Too bad there isn't an alternate universe where Nic stayed with the band and played on Pawn Hearts, I'd love to hear how different it would have turned out Wink 

According to his wiki page Nic left during the recording of H to He after playing on Killer, Emperor & Lost.  Hugh took over bass guitar on the rest of the album and played the bass parts on bass pedals for the tour.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 16:31
Hugh’s organ work is second to none on this outing - a mighty Farfisa.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 16:36
I've never heard this album. I've only ever heard H to He, Pawn Hearts and Godbluff.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 23:53
Darkness (11/11) is incredible in its eerie, slowly building, kind of floating progression. I think it share similarities with Plague... + while I don't think Peter Hammill wrote really memorable lyrics before 1973/1974 this is among his best from his "teen angst" years (I find his youthful Emo-doom & gloom of 1969-1971 enjoyable for what it is though).
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 04:15
Malleus M. just over 11/11.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 19:06
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

(I find his youthful Emo-doom & gloom of 1969-1971 enjoyable for what it is though).

I always refer to PH as the Master of Disaster Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>