Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Bogus Man - Roxy Music,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bogus Man - Roxy Music,
    Posted: January 28 2019 at 15:55
This is quite a strange and unique composition, from the 70s, and even in its time it's quite one of its own universe. It got lots of influences of course, ive read both from german kraut and also psychadelic. Yet it carries itself with its own quirky groove. A thompimg universe created by Paul Thompson and John Porter. The drums and bass seem on first guise to be simple, but its very well excequited and needs to know how to lock a groove yet keep it crispy. They do that marvelously.

I will reccomend that song and i wonder is their any tracks remotly similar to it, that is not Roxy Music

Also congrats to Roxy Music for entering the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

Edited by Icarium - January 28 2019 at 17:05
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 16:54
"It's a song with an exceptional rhythmic propulsion (great work by Paul Thompson and John Porter), almost tribal, which continues undeterred for almost 10 minutes. On the side of this rhythm there are dissonances with the saxophone, the guitar, and the devilries of Eno that, in truth, remained in the shadows in this second Lp of Roxy Music. The song is grotesque, almost Kafkaesque, it traces a threatening but demented atmosphere. In the middle the singing ceases, and only the rhythm and the dissonances remain, which continue without ever changing, without a solo, so in a very repetitive and alienating way until the end. Someone could bore such a great lack of variation, and in fact the song is ultimately repetitive and tends to reach a hypnotic and surreal atmosphere with a minimalist arrangement: it recall the theater of the absurd. I like it very much, it doesn't tire me, and it seems very courageous to me."

Written last week in my review on For Your Pleasure, here: 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 17:03
Very intriguing review, i like the soft marimba played distantly towards the end. Segments that tribal element you speek of.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 04:07
Great song.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 04:36
I find most of Roxy Music just OKish but I always loved this song. Well picked for its own thread. The rhythm, ah the rhythm!

Edited by Lewian - January 29 2019 at 04:36
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 19:25
What can I say?  I first got into Roxy Music with Viva.  This was the first song I started messing around on acoustic guitar with.  Say no more. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 00:28
Manzaneras guitar have a slight 80s Fripp/ Belew staccato rythmic patterns
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 00:26
  a bit off topic but Viva Roxy Music is arguably the best live album ever. What a band they were at that time with 2/3 of the future UK line up included.
Yep the Bogus Man , not my favourite tbh. For me from that era the track In Every Dream Home is a Heartache , now that was something else!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 15:20
In Every Dream Home A Heartache....now that's a great weird Roxy tune.
:)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 15:27
^ Great solo by Manzanera on that track
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 16:57
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

^ Great solo by Manzanera on that track

LOL
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 18:07
Also a big fan of Pyjamarama which wan't on any of the previous studio albums.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 13:15
And I think Stranded, Country, and Siren all deserve 4 stars .............
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 10:46
Fantastic song !
 Post Reply Post Reply