Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chicago vs Steely Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [37.14%]
41 [58.57%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [4.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chicago vs Steely Dan
    Posted: January 28 2019 at 16:27
Some people accused my last poll of Steely Dan and APP of being a mismatch. They couldn't understand why I put them together despite the fact that I made it very clear why at the beginning(but I won't go into that here). Suffice it to say I decided to put Steely Dan up against a band who is maybe a bit more similar soundwise. Some might disagree here also but as they say you can't please everyone. For those wondering about Chicago their earlier stuff was often quite progressive so please keep that in mind before voting and don't vote if you only know the hits. The same goes for both bands. I want this to be fair and not be seen as a battle between two pop bands but rather two very talented and musically creative bands(which I believe they both were). So again please only vote if you are very familiar with at least the bulk of the seventies and more progressive material by both of these bands. Thanks.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 07 2023 at 08:43
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 16:34
Can't stand either of them.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 16:49
I don't think there are any similarities between Chicago and Steely Dan soundwise. As for who is better, Chicago's first few albums are great but they quickly descended into schlock; Steely Dan was pretty consistent -- going with Dan.
PROGMATIC
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 17:30
Steely Dan. "Aja" and "Pretzel Logic" wipe out everything Chicago has put out
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 17:33
Steeley Dan all day, any day...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 18:00
I prefer Chicago on the strength of some early material, but I'm definitely not a fan.  Steely - forget it
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 18:13
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I prefer Chicago on the strength of some early material, but I'm definitely not a fan.  Steely - forget it

So which one did you vote for?
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 19:04
Chicago.  I really like a lot of their 60's/early 70's stuff, but with Steely Dan 'Reelin in the Years' is the only thing I've ever liked. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 20:17
Hard choice, since both had some very good progressive material. I'll vote for Steely Dan, not that I prefer it to Chicago, but for it's consistency, even during their pop era.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 20:58
ugh

Chicago 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 21:09
better attempt this time I suppose.... both bands were American so the comparison has that going for it.

Love Chicago.. that Grts. Hits album, you know the one i am talking about, should be in every single music lovers possession.  The Dan however was on a whole different level.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 23:54
Chicago felt more like a band and Steely Dan were a band and became more of a project. Both band went through triles amd errors to work their sound. Chicago was definitly rawer, edgyer and grittier. With a clear mixture pf Cream like psychadelic rock mixed with complex horn arrangement. Steely Dan had a closer DNA towards funk and pop, brought through a landscape of jazz, beat literature and urban flavours. Steely Dan is more a kin to Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind and Fire. Chicago was as raw and rocking as Deep Purple but had a jazz, classical, r'n'b, walk around. To Chicago ther was a fudation of orginized chaos, a septet, most clearly heard in the song "A Hit by Varese" on Chicago V. A song on the brink of chaos, dissonant, 'ugly', wild and yet ordered. With a wild drum groove. And the most underrated guitarist in rock music, Terry Kath. My vote is Chicago, even though i love Kid Carlmagne

Edited by Icarium - January 29 2019 at 02:51
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 01:42
Yeah, not too tricky for me.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 02:03
Yikes

except in this poll, Chicago wipes SD with their first 7 albums (ok, 6 was poorer), especially when you know that CTA, s/t, 3 and VII were all double albums (and Carnegie a quadruple)... This alone gives Chicago 10 discs of great music???? something SD was never able to reach.

and the first disc of VII is miles better than a CDr compilation of SD's best moments.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 03:59
^well its not 10 discs of great music if one does not like them very much (no hate or anyting they're ok but not in my personal jazzrock-fusion top 100). SD all the way for me with their pretty much flawless 70's discography.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 04:00
Once again, love both but Steely Dan were soooo much more consistent. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 04:16
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

As for who is better, Chicago's first few albums are great but they quickly descended into schlock; Steely Dan was pretty consistent -- going with Dan.

Pretty much how I feel. I enjoy early Chicago but Steely Dan is one of my favorites. 
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 05:15
Neither pique my interest . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 06:32
really love both.... but have to go with

Steely Dan
Prog On!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 06:35
Another hopeless mismatch, I'm afraid.

It might be a fair fight if all Chicago was like their first five albums, and even then only if the whole album was like the best half of the album.

Everything by the Dan from the debut through Aja was special.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>