Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi, everyone, i'm Daniel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spleenandcigars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi, everyone, i'm Daniel
    Posted: January 29 2019 at 01:55
I'm from Brazil, 28 years old, and started actively listen to prog in 2004. My father was a huge Pink Floyd fan in the 80s and used to listen to it almost everyday up until i was born and he broke up with my mom, but now i have his LP collection hahaha

I believe that the first song i heard knowing what prog were, was In the Court of the Crimson King. Since at that time i was eluded by metal, 21st Century Schizoid Man were a head opener for me... Since then, not only i grew tired of metal, but i also got more into 70s prog. Nowadays i'm starting my LP collection and i'm at 250 or so, mostly prog records, and been using the progarchives website for about 10 years already.

Sorry if my english is confusing, i'm still learning.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 02:06
Welcome Daniel! Hope you enjoy your time on the boards, most here are friendly.

I for one would love to hear any thoughts you have on the progressive music scene in Brazil. It's something I've only recently started to explore.

And don't worry about your English - it's fine.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 02:35
Great to have you, Dan, welcome to PA ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
spleenandcigars View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spleenandcigars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 06:11
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Welcome Daniel! Hope you enjoy your time on the boards, most here are friendly. 

I for one would love to hear any thoughts you have on the progressive music scene in Brazil. It's something I've only recently started to explore.

And don't worry about your English - it's fine.

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

Brazil scene right now, not only progressive, but rock in general, is disperse at best. There's some noise-influenced bands every now and then and some efforts being made. The latest band i've seen using something similar to prog is Dônica, with their single "Bicho Burro". 

The past has A LOT to explore, you'd be amazed. Mosts bands here went into the psychedelia with heads on, prog were a little overlooked and had a late start. A lot were made during the late 60s and 70s with the Tropicalia movement. Worth checking out. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spleenandcigars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 06:12
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Great to have you, Dan, welcome to PA ~

Thank you, Brother. 
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 09:30
Welcome Daniel! Great prog story and I agree with you, 70's classic prog is unquestionably the best.
Songs cast a light on you
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 10:19
Welcome, Daniel!  You'll learn of a lot of new prog here and I'm sure you'll introduce us to some, as well.
Your English is just fine!  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 12:27
Welcome Daniel,
If you have been checking PA for some 10 years you must know already quite a lot. Indeed the 70's classics are the best place to start, and if your collection is already around 250 albums you must have already quite many essentials.
And don't worry about your English, it's more than fine.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 16:43
Originally posted by spleenandcigars spleenandcigars wrote:

21st Century Schizoid Man were a head opener for me... 
Sorry if my english is confusing, i'm still learning.

The same for me.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spleenandcigars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 17:30
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Welcome Daniel! Great prog story and I agree with you, 70's classic prog is unquestionably the best.

I've been observing that people are making some albums that would fall into a "retro prog" style, since it replicates a lot. Some are quite good, others are just uninspiring copies of what was. But anyway, not only 70s had the best ones, there's A LOT of gems hidden due lack of success. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spleenandcigars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 17:32
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Welcome, Daniel!  You'll learn of a lot of new prog here and I'm sure you'll introduce us to some, as well.
Your English is just fine!  

Hardly introduce anyone to something i discover LOL most of the bands i seem to discover are already discussed here in a topic some years ago and i always feel like i'm late in the game hahahah
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spleenandcigars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 17:36
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Welcome Daniel,
If you have been checking PA for some 10 years you must know already quite a lot. Indeed the 70's classics are the best place to start, and if your collection is already around 250 albums you must have already quite many essentials.
And don't worry about your English, it's more than fine.

Living in Brazil is quite hard to get some essentials... When they're not way too expensive considering our currency, the shipping is extremely expensive and the record might not arrive at all. Unfortunately, only in the 80s that people gave away their records and nowadays most people knows about prog. I've got some Italian ones, been trying to get a hold of spanish bands like Cai and Triana... Let's see what the future holds.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 21:00

Hardly introduce anyone to something i discover LOL most of the bands i seem to discover are already discussed here in a topic some years ago and i always feel like i'm late in the game hahahah
You never know, there are a lot of really knowledgeable people here, but no one knows everything!  Either way, welcome to the discussions!  I think 21st Century Schizoid Man is a great mind-opener.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 11:00

I've been observing that people are making some albums that would fall into a "retro prog" style, since it replicates a lot. Some are quite good, others are just uninspiring copies of what was. But anyway, not only 70s had the best ones, there's A LOT of gems hidden due lack of success. 

Yes, if you've been looking on the site for a while you'll have noted that classic prog pioneers v modern prog imitators is a regular topic for debate.

I agree that there are many modern prog bands who are underrated or under appreciated, but rarely does modern prog get me as excited as the classic albums of the 1970's.

Still, it's all about discovering great music new or old, and this site is a great place to explore.
Songs cast a light on you
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spleenandcigars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 02:05

Yes, if you've been looking on the site for a while you'll have noted that classic prog pioneers v modern prog imitators is a regular topic for debate.

I agree that there are many modern prog bands who are underrated or under appreciated, but rarely does modern prog get me as excited as the classic albums of the 1970's.

Still, it's all about discovering great music new or old, and this site is a great place to explore.

Sorry for the long time to answer, i've been quite busy these days. The last modern prog record that got me excited were Out of Atlantis, by Hollow Earth. I was hearing it in their Bandcamp one day and before the record even finished, i had ordered the vinyl from their website. Lucky me, i got a limited (100 copies) numbered one! 

What i like most about progarchives it's their moderators are quite precise in adding bands, so not only things are well categorized but it's only after a time for analysis. Learning to identify elements and put them into their own category or style is something that i've always wanted to learn, but never quite got the hand of it. Anyway... Thanks for the warm welcome, Chaser! 
 Post Reply Post Reply