Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

most revered "old" Genesis songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 21:14
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

last time I saw Hackett's Genesis revisited, Supper's Ready was the low point of the evening. Far from boring but soo f**king long, man.

I really loved it when I saw Hackett. I just love it on the album, and loved hearing it live, no matter how long it is... that's why I'm a prog fan.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 21:16
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I suppose that you probably had to be alive in 1974 (and be english) to appreciate the concept. The lyrical content of epping forest is genius...

I don't care about the lyrical and concept genius of a song... if the music is annoying, then it remains annoying and no brilliance in the lyrics will make me enjoy it, whether I understand it or relate to it or not.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 23:34
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

So many suggestions for just copying this but I think Watcher of the Skies and Get 'em out by Friday are amongst the dullest Genesis/Gabriel era songs... weak melodies and nagging vocals...

I totally agree. I can't stand his lyrics and stupid accents on those. Not just on those two though. He did it on loads of other songs as well,  on that awful "I Know what I Like," for example, and on "The Battle of Epping Forest"  
Yeah Battle of Epping Forest is the absolute worst. Reminds me of a rock musical where an overstuffed/chatty storyline gets in the way of making a decent tune.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 00:17
The Knife - to wake up and startle the audience with doom prog.
Seven Stones - to bath and salvage the audience in calming mellotron cascades.
Time Table - lul them in som nice qusi pastoral jazz-folk.
Suppers Readdy - to stuff rhem with great stuffing and some more doom prog
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 06:47
I think that Epping Forest is packed with nice melodies and catchy motifs. The brilliance of the lyrics can be appreciated only if you followed the gang land stories in the tabloids of the sixties. Especially the kray twins...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 07:55

I think that Epping Forest is packed with nice melodies and catchy motifs. The brilliance of the lyrics can be appreciated only if you followed the gang land stories in the tabloids of the sixties. Especially the kray twins...
I'm not interested enough in lyrics or storytelling to be bothered I guess. Especially as I alreasdy know I don't enjoy its motifs or melodies. To me they feel forced, without a flow and sterile. And as the whole piece resembles a rock musical to me (=only bluesy pub rock is worse) - I got thousands of better options in my collection.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 08:31
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

last time I saw Hackett's Genesis revisited, Supper's Ready was the low point of the evening. Far from boring but soo f**king long, man.

I really loved it when I saw Hackett. I just love it on the album, and loved hearing it live, no matter how long it is... that's why I'm a prog fan.

There was one guy outside the theatre smoking a cigarette while the Flower Kings were in the middle of their interminable (45m) 'Garden of Dreams' inside: that was me.

Very good overall but the longer, the better? Never bought that.

That's why I'm not a true prog fan.

Edited by Barbu - January 31 2019 at 08:58
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 11:49
I suppose....

Watcher of the Skies
Fountain of Salmacis
Suppers Ready
Firth of Fifth
Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
Musical Box

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 12:04
OP may I ask what's your repertoire of the post-Gabriel era?
I guess as a band you should also seek some consistency and coherence among all the setlist.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 13:47

Yeah, I dislike those ones too... For me, "Get 'em out by Friday", "Harold the Barell", and "Battle of Epping Forest" sort of make a trilogy of Hell from the Classic Genesis. I don't really enjoy "Watcher of the Skies" either... I rather dislike it, but Hackett's live version on Tokyo Tapes somehow really fixed it for me, and I really love that version.

Same here, I think Watcher of the Skies, Get 'em out by Friday, Harold the Barell, Battle of Epping Forest, and I Know What I Like are all awful. And I know they make many others cringe as well. These type of songs are what put people off prog in the mid-70s.   

Edited by LAM-SGC - January 31 2019 at 13:48
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 15:39
Seven Stones and Time Table are good, stalwart songs to enrapture the audience.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 16:23

So many suggestions for just copying this but I think Watcher of the Skies and Get 'em out by Friday are amongst the dullest Genesis/Gabriel era songs... weak melodies and nagging vocals...

Haha, the subjectivity of music... I would probably have nominated these two first for masterful dynamic composition, drive and melodies that manage at the same time to feel natural and organic but also full of surprises. And I am fine with Gabriel's theatralics. 
The whole album is pure bliss and has none of the downers that Genesis have otherwise placed everywhere (I really hate "I Know What I Like" - at least there probably some common ground.)

Edited by Lewian - January 31 2019 at 16:26
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 16:46

Yeah, I dislike those ones too... For me, "Get 'em out by Friday", "Harold the Barell", and "Battle of Epping Forest" sort of make a trilogy of Hell from the Classic Genesis. I don't really enjoy "Watcher of the Skies" either... I rather dislike it, but Hackett's live version on Tokyo Tapes somehow really fixed it for me, and I really love that version.

Same here, I think Watcher of the Skies, Get 'em out by Friday, Harold the Barell, Battle of Epping Forest, and I Know What I Like are all awful. And I know they make many others cringe as well. These type of songs are what put people off prog in the mid-70s.   

In general, I agree.
BUT
Harold the Barrell and I know What I like are pop songs. Nice pop songs, in my opinion, specially the second. But nothing more.
They are not identified as prog. 
On the contrary, Watcher... is the typical example of prog pomposity, the one that lovers of classic rock hate, and Get'em... is the typical example of forced song and too long (for those who don't like prog). Epping... is a case in itself because more than highlighting the defects of prog highlights those of Genesis when they become too much theatrical, almost vaudeville, with the aggravating circumstance of having a long duration. My teacher of literature said: only masterpieces have the right to be long. Get'em and Epping are not masterpieces at all and are too long. Watcher has a great instrumental start, but can't match well with the singing. 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 21:15

There was one guy outside the theatre smoking a cigarette while the Flower Kings were in the middle of their interminable (45m) 'Garden of Dreams' inside: that was me.

Very good overall but the longer, the better? Never bought that.

That's why I'm not a true prog fan.

I don't know so much from The Flower Kings so I can't say about that song, but when the long epics are good, there's not much that can surpass them in my apreciation of them (and Supper's Ready would be among them)... when they are not good... or are good but don't have what it takes to last that long, they really become rather boring. I believe someone like Neil Morse, and perhaps Roine Stolt himself, have abused of long songs many times and done many that overstay their welcome.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 21:16

Same here, I think <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18.2px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Watcher of the Skies,</span> <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18.2px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Get 'em out by Friday, <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18.2px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Harold the Barell, <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18.2px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Battle of Epping Forest, and I Know What I Like are all awful. And I know they make many others cringe as well. These type of songs are what put people off prog in the mid-70s.   </span></span></span>

Oh, but I do like "I Know What I Like" for what it is... and for me, it doesn't sound very much like the other songs. Still, I do know that it's one of those songs that many Genesis fand dislike.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 23:58

I'm not interested enough in lyrics or storytelling to be bothered I guess. Especially as I alreasdy know I don't enjoy its motifs or melodies. To me they feel forced, without a flow and sterile. And as the whole piece resembles a rock musical to me (=only bluesy pub rock is worse) - I got thousands of better options in my collection.

agreed. The first 2 minutes is okay but then its just an excuse to mess around. ELP got slaughtered for Benny the Bouncer yet the revered Genesis get away with it somehow. The album would be much better without it imo.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 00:04

nope it was the general movement toward over technical jazz rock noodling that turned people off.

Of those songs Epping Forest is the one I hate but it's still a popular prog track. Watcher of The Skies is probably the best Mellotron track Genesis did bar maybe Blood On The Rooftops. 

I suppose you have to view a lot of these tracks in the context of the live shows which of course were very theatrical and too many were a bit silly even. Gabriel leaving meant that Genesis could become more accessible to the masses. Certainly their albums sold more after he left and that is a fact!
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 02:57
That as well, but the average man on the street, or kid in the playground, the casual listener, was more put off by stupid theatrical voices, non-sensical lyrics and the music taking second place and simply being a vehicle for the lyrics and theatrics, along with as you say the ever increasing drift away from the recognized shorter pop/rock song format.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 01 2019 at 03:41
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 04:49

but the average man on the street, or kid in the playground, the casual listener, was more put off  

Why would any musician care (unless they're only in it for the money)?
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 05:23
I think Harold the Barrel needs a sequel. It should have been released as a single back in the day. Every time I hear it, I have to concentrate to keep me from peeing myself.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>