0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [11.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Film by Terry Gilliam
    Posted: January 30 2019 at 13:01
Terry Gilliam is one of my favorite directors. His technique is completely recognizable, at least from Brazil onwards. Gilliam creates a world on the border between reality and imagination, his shots are often oblique, the scenographies are always baroque, and unite luxurious to the dilapidated: all this is the emblem of a poetics that sees the world as chaos, to be faced with fantasy. For me this poetics is very proggy. 

In your opinion, what is his best film?

Allow Multiple Votes

Edited by jamesbaldwin - January 30 2019 at 14:05
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 13:06
Terry Gilliam also is one of my favourite directors. I have yet to see The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. I could vote for a number of them happily, but Brazil is a masterpiece to me. It had a big effect on me as a teenager (that and A Clockwork Orange were my favourite films).

Edited by Logan - January 30 2019 at 13:10
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 13:37
I'm voting for Jabberwocky, re Terry Gilliam films,  although I've not seen every one here (about 1/3).  A Clockwork Orange was stunning and chilling at the same time.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 13:50
He have some wonderfull titles, that is an art in itself, to create titles; that are both omnious yet not alienating
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 13:53
Gilliam and Wes Anderson are my favorite directors/writers. Here's how I would rank TGs films (I've not seen the last 2 ).

1. Brazil
2. 12 Monkeys
3. The Fisher King
4. Time Bandits
5. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
6. Baron Munchausen
7. The Brothers Grimm
8. Dr. Parnassus
9. Jaberwocky
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 14:03
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Gilliam and Wes Anderson are my favorite directors/writers. Here's how I would rank TGs films (I've not seen the last 2 ).

1. Brazil
2. 12 Monkeys
3. The Fisher King
4. Time Bandits
5. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
6. Baron Munchausen
7. The Brothers Grimm
8. Dr. Parnassus
9. Jaberwocky

Exactly:
1 Brazil
2 12 Monkeys
3 Fisher King!

For me three votes.

Then? Maybe Parnassus.
Dont see Don Chisciotte.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 15:10
I am assuredly not a Gilliam fan, can't think of one film I really like:  Brazil is overrated, Fisher King jut ain't that great, Fear & Loathing is depraved, and 12 Monkeys is a real piece of sh*t.   It's always form over function with him, and that's a mistake.

Edited by Atavachron - January 30 2019 at 15:51
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 16:34
I've seen 8 of those films and I didn't like a single one of them. So I won't be voting. I never liked Monty Python either. Definitely not my cup of tea.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 16:36
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Brazil is overrated, Fisher King jut ain't that great, Fear & Loathing is depraved, and 12 Monkeys is a real piece of sh*t.   It's always form over function with him, and that's a mistake.

I knew it wasn't just me.  I would also add that I fell asleep during Brazil and Time Bandits.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 15:02
Went with 12 Monkeys...but I haven't see the last 4 on that list.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 07:46
Hi,

Same day of the year for birthday ... November 22nd ... and you already know which director is the one I like the most.

I can not tell you which film is better, or I prefer ... many of them have things that are extremely valuable in a perceptive way ... and here are some ideas/examples.

1. The "dream" lives on ... BRAZIL
2. There is no "reality" ... the theater scene is perfect .. the actor turns left and they are in the desert, not the stage. The shift is so harsh and fast, that most people don't even realize it happened. (Munchausen)
3. Life goes on, sometimes not perfect, but it ... makes it! (KING FISHER)

The great part of all this is that it is all VISUAL ... and this is the hard part of life, so to speak, in that you have to live through these things, good or bad. But in between there are the moments that you never forget. AND, are simply ... unreal!

- Jonathan Pryce in his original role in BRAZIL.
- Robin Williams in King Fisher. Priceless!
- Oliver Reed as Vulcan ... thank you Ken Russell, we would not have known about this and the birth of Venus (Uma Thurman)
- Las Vegas is not an acid trip. GONZO is!

Terry's biggest complaint is how so many studios have cut up so many things from the very first day, up to and including the BBC in the cartoons, which they finally let go by a bit more, when they became so popular. But this was not new ... THE GOONS had problems with "John Snagg", (real or not?) who edited and censored a lot of their scripts, which Spike Milligan took advantage of with his knack for doing sound effects at various speeds, and making FAUST look like an amateur and a silly one, too!

12 MONKEES was probably chopped off mercilessly, and I don't think there was a love story there, but I keep thinking that the main character was hoping that something like that could happen. And the ending, put both together, which made the film a bit too hollyweird'ish for me. Again, I also think the film suffered from poor editing and I wonder how much of the cutting was haphazard so that things that took place that might have thrown off the "love story", would not be shown.

Terry has wanted to do the Don Quixote story for 40 years or more ... he finally has a film sort of about it, but I have not seen it or locate it yet! And he will never find financing for it, via the regular venues, because they want a hit, not a "personal" story! The days of Fellini, Bergman, Bunuel, Truffaut and Godard, are long gone ... Godard, turned to video for many years as a way to flick his finger at everyone! He has made a few films, but now, he has had to get a bit more "organized", and his films are nothing like the incredible satire of film making and everything around it, that they were 40 years ago. His satire on "movie shots" and "film traditions" are no longer visible and ... no one in the audience will understand it anyway ... a line referring to this film or that in the middle of a dinner sequence ... or whatever ... wasted ... gone ... only film critics will catch it!

His book ... is fabulous and it has so many ... everything ... that it is a trip just going through it. I enjoyed it tremendously, because in so many ways we're very complicated folks internally, and we see so many things on so many other things, that it throws off most folks we talk to. It is never surprising to me, when someone disagrees or thinks that my thoughts and ideas are this or that ... my middle name is Gilliam, and my "movie" stands as is ... no sense going back and turning it over in its grave!

I, really, only have a couple of "heroes" in my life ... and all 3 of them could be considered certifiably insane. In order they are ... Chuck Jones, Spike Milligan and Terry Gilliam. 

But I can tell you that what they left behind, was ... some of the best memories in anyone's life!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 11:17
1st vote for Time Bandits. I love that movie. Always have. But Gilliam's made many fine films (and at least one stinker in Baron Munchausen).
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 11:54
Went with The Fisher King, followed by Twelve Monkeys & Time Bandits . I could never make it through Brazil. 
Just didn't grab me. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 12:12
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Same day of the year for birthday ... November 22nd ... and you already know which director is the one I like the most.

I can not tell you which film is better, or I prefer ... many of them have things that are extremely valuable in a perceptive way ... and here are some ideas/examples.

1. The "dream" lives on ... BRAZIL
2. There is no "reality" ... the theater scene is perfect .. the actor turns left and they are in the desert, not the stage. The shift is so harsh and fast, that most people don't even realize it happened. (Munchausen)
3. Life goes on, sometimes not perfect, but it ... makes it! (KING FISHER)

The great part of all this is that it is all VISUAL ... and this is the hard part of life, so to speak, in that you have to live through these things, good or bad. But in between there are the moments that you never forget. AND, are simply ... unreal!

- Jonathan Pryce in his original role in BRAZIL.
- Robin Williams in King Fisher. Priceless!
- Oliver Reed as Vulcan ... thank you Ken Russell, we would not have known about this and the birth of Venus (Uma Thurman)
- Las Vegas is not an acid trip. GONZO is!

Terry's biggest complaint is how so many studios have cut up so many things from the very first day, up to and including the BBC in the cartoons, which they finally let go by a bit more, when they became so popular. But this was not new ... THE GOONS had problems with "John Snagg", (real or not?) who edited and censored a lot of their scripts, which Spike Milligan took advantage of with his knack for doing sound effects at various speeds, and making FAUST look like an amateur and a silly one, too!

12 MONKEES was probably chopped off mercilessly, and I don't think there was a love story there, but I keep thinking that the main character was hoping that something like that could happen. And the ending, put both together, which made the film a bit too hollyweird'ish for me. Again, I also think the film suffered from poor editing and I wonder how much of the cutting was haphazard so that things that took place that might have thrown off the "love story", would not be shown.

Terry has wanted to do the Don Quixote story for 40 years or more ... he finally has a film sort of about it, but I have not seen it or locate it yet! And he will never find financing for it, via the regular venues, because they want a hit, not a "personal" story! The days of Fellini, Bergman, Bunuel, Truffaut and Godard, are long gone ... Godard, turned to video for many years as a way to flick his finger at everyone! He has made a few films, but now, he has had to get a bit more "organized", and his films are nothing like the incredible satire of film making and everything around it, that they were 40 years ago. His satire on "movie shots" and "film traditions" are no longer visible and ... no one in the audience will understand it anyway ... a line referring to this film or that in the middle of a dinner sequence ... or whatever ... wasted ... gone ... only film critics will catch it!

His book ... is fabulous and it has so many ... everything ... that it is a trip just going through it. I enjoyed it tremendously, because in so many ways we're very complicated folks internally, and we see so many things on so many other things, that it throws off most folks we talk to. It is never surprising to me, when someone disagrees or thinks that my thoughts and ideas are this or that ... my middle name is Gilliam, and my "movie" stands as is ... no sense going back and turning it over in its grave!

I, really, only have a couple of "heroes" in my life ... and all 3 of them could be considered certifiably insane. In order they are ... Chuck Jones, Spike Milligan and Terry Gilliam. 

But I can tell you that what they left behind, was ... some of the best memories in anyone's life!

Thank you!!

Clap

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 12:43
Gilliam is one of my favorites and I have seen most of these movies.  Finally saw Zero Theorem and had mixed feelings about it, but I'm sure it will grow on me as time goes on.  Still waiting to see The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 01:00
Not seen em all, but of those I have seen, it's between Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas or Brazil.

I remember I loved Jabberwocky as a teenager. I need to see that film again. I remember it being hilarious at the time.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 18:22
I thought for a minute you had left off Eric The Viking but that was Terry Jones. Went with Brazil.  I was a little surprised by those on the list that I haven't seen yet.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 18:41
Location of  Brazil  (dark green) in South America  (grey)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 18:51
Who voted for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote?

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 18:54
LOL
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>