0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [11.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 02:11
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

I never liked Monty Python either. Definitely not my cup of tea.
Shocked
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 05:20
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

12 Monkeys is a real piece of sh*t.   .

*spits coffee all over monitor*

God I love that movie...  I'll have to remember this for when we do finally get together.. I'll add this to the Ozzy/Rhodes saving metal for our over dinner and drinks talks hahah Heart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 05:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

God I love that movie...  I'll have to remember this for when we do finally get together.. I'll add this to the Ozzy/Rhodes saving metal for our over dinner and drinks talks hahah Heart

poor monitor, so much coffee and beer spitted on it 

12 Monkeys - good movie.

As for Ozzy saving metal, saving it from what? 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 05:42
yeah.. I mean to ask him that LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 07:13

I am assuredly not a Gilliam fan, can't think of one film I really like:  Brazil is overrated, Fisher King jut ain't that great, Fear & Loathing is depraved, and 12 Monkeys is a real piece of sh*t.   It's always form over function with him, and that's a mistake.

Sorry in advance if I'm misunderstanding your intent or talking at cross-purposes, and I have not given it enough thought methinks. It did get me thinking, but when I get thinking, it's usually me thinking badly. There is a lot to ponder in your concise post.

Objectively good or not, overrated or not, I love his films, especially Brazil, and that's what matters most to me. His approach right back to being an animator with Monty Python has been very much about style, and I don't think that was a mistake (or whatever the precise mistake is that you're illuminating). I think that's his strength, and had he tried a different approach I rather doubt that he would have been so successful, so well-known or thought of as highly by many (it's better to be overrated by many than hardly rated at all). I would also expect that he's been influential on successful directors such as Jeunet, Burton, del Toro and Wes Anderson (I don't have research to back that up, but I'd be very surprised if I was altogether wrong). I would expect that he in turn has been influenced by the likes of Fellini, Luis Buñuel, Hitchcock and Kubrick, as well as Chris Marker for La Jetée which I do remember inspired 12 Monkeys, and I expect that various of those probably were influences on the other directors I mentioned as well.

Incidentally, I know you said form over function which would be rather like style over substance, I guess, but the common "form follows function" saying is based on the architect Louis Sullivan's "form ever follows function" in the late 1800s.

He wrote:

"Whether it be the sweeping eagle in his flight, or the open apple-blossom, the toiling workhorse, the blithe swan, the branching oak, the winding stream at its base, the drifting clouds, over all the coursing sun, form ever follows function, and this is the law. Where function does not change form does not change. The granite rocks, the ever-brooding hills, remain for ages; the lightning lives, comes into shape, and dies in a twinkling."

I would say that the form of Gilliam's films do fit the function, and in a sense that the function is the form rather like the medium is the message, if that makes sense. He is a very visuals driven director, as are many of my favourites, and I think he does a great job of it.

Not everyone will like his films, and he hasn't had the commercial success of many directors, but if he's been a failure in his approach or by most whatever metric when it comes to being a filmmaker, man that's the kind of failure that I could have only dreamed to be when I dreamed of becoming a filmmaker. Brazil's surrealism, its black comedy, the way it evoked Orwell and Kafka, to me it is brilliantly executed (there were studio pains to be sure, as with other works by him). And Sam Lowry (love Jonathan Pryce in that) is one of my very favourite characters in cinema.

Edited by Logan - February 10 2019 at 07:20
Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 07:56

God I love that movie...  I'll have to remember this for when we do finally get together... hahah Heart

I really think that the movie is cut up so badly that the whole thing becomes a mess ... and the whole thing about the epidemic ... is just a love story? It pretty much suggests that there was a lot more going on, perhaps a parallel story (very much like Gilliam to do that!!!!!) that got totally trashed and wasted when the film was cut up senselessly. 

I have a feeling that he was shut legally about that movie, as very little is said about in the book, and there are no clear details. In general, his stories are fairly clear ... there is no doubt where BRAZIL is going with him in love, you don't doubt KING FISHER and you do not question Sarah's adventures through ... every where! Even as far as THEOREM, you do not question a whole lot. But you get to that one film and you wonder ... hmmmm ... they are going to do this ... and all of a sudden the last third of the film has nothing to do with it ... and the "psychic" stuff in the middle of it, which GILLIAM is very good at, is kinda wasted and makes it look like he is trying to save her in that world ... but the story did not start like that!

I really think that is one film that could have been very good, but was made senseless ... as it became just a weird film, that did not mean a whole lot ... and the ending, is like ... ohhh, you go through all this for ... nothing?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 09:47
oh dear God..   now I really wish I had a line of cocaine.. the hell with the J LOL

have a clappie Pedro..  Clap you'll get me back to my sinning ways eventually

Edited by micky - February 10 2019 at 09:48
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 16:52

Maybe saving it from itself?

Let's see--   I suppose it is my perspective as a young headbanger living in the most important metal city in the US at the time (S.F.).   The NWOBHM was what got me into music seriously, and Diary was the album that did it.   Perhaps what I mean to say is the band was, IMO, the best band in that scene at the time.   I loved Maiden too, and to a lesser degree Priest, the Scorps. and Angel Witch, but I think it was just the sheer quality of the Blizz's music that was so compelling.  

By "saving" Metal I mean without that small handful of bands, metal would have died a painful death, but instead we got Metallica, Yngwie, Dio, Exodus, and later a slew of others that rode on those coattails.   The love Ozzy has from fans is stunning, and well-deserved.   He brought music into heavy metal instead of just riffing, crazy solos, and high energy, and it was Ozzy that sort of hosted that whole period.   He brought legitimacy, sophistication, and, rather importantly, sales & commerce to metal.   And, jesus, the man is still going.   It is beyond belief.   God bless the crazy f*ck.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 19:27
I have soft spot in my heart for Baron Munchausen and Time Bandits. The one-liners are a real treat, particularly since I saw both as a teenager upon their release.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 00:13

Maybe saving it from itself?

Let's see--   I suppose it is my perspective as a young headbanger living in the most important metal city in the US at the time (S.F.).   The NWOBHM was what got me into music seriously, and Diary was the album that did it.   Perhaps what I mean to say is the band was, IMO, the best band in that scene at the time.   I loved Maiden too, and to a lesser degree Priest, the Scorps. and Angel Witch, but I think it was just the sheer quality of the Blizz's music that was so compelling.  

By "saving" Metal I mean without that small handful of bands, metal would have died a painful death, but instead we got Metallica, Yngwie, Dio, Exodus, and later a slew of others that rode on those coattails.   The love Ozzy has from fans is stunning, and well-deserved.   He brought music into heavy metal instead of just riffing, crazy solos, and high energy, and it was Ozzy that sort of hosted that whole period.   He brought legitimacy, sophistication, and, rather importantly, sales & commerce to metal.   And, jesus, the man is still going.   It is beyond belief.   God bless the crazy f*ck.

thanks for explaining, although i disagree, maybe this idea deserves its own thread, I'm not gonna discuss what impact Ozzy had on metal on a movie thread. (off topic, obviously)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 00:39
^ Understandable but this is a music site and the occasional off-topic tangent is justifiable.   I think the Gilliam discussion has likely played out.   Nothin' wrong with some shoptalk.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2019 at 19:50
Though I've loved many of these films--especially Baron von Munchausen--I have a real soft spot for Jabberwocky because it was the first film I ever saw that portrayed life in the so-called "Middle Ages" for the dirty, filthy, pestilent putridity that I'd always imagined it to be as a college history major and life-long "medievalist." 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 10:56
I can't believe mine is the only vote for Time BanditsLOL
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 11:36
Top three movies ever:

1. 12 Monkeys
2. The Fisher King
3. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 15:50
The only one that stood out for me from what I've seen was Brazil - crazy ending!
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 17:10
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I can't believe mine is the only vote for Time Bandits
LOL

I"m glad to see it get some voting love. While I voted for Brazil, which I ranked in my top five as a teenager and I still love decades later, I adore Time Bandits and have since I was a teenager (I love it even more as an adult, or man-child some might say). A while back I was subscribed to a service called Hollywood Suite, which showed many excellent films. In their On Demand service, they had Time Bandits. During my three month subscription to the service, I watched it again and again. For a sort of children's or family film, this is superb, and quite dark and cynical, even subversive. Without spoiling it, but the way the parents go... This film is right up there with another live action "children's" fave of around the same time, which is The Dark Crystal.

Evil is a superb character, as are others, and I love this exchange between the child and The Supreme Being:

Kevin: "You mean you let all those people die just to test your creation?"
The Supreme Being: "Yes. You really are a clever boy."
Kevin: "Why did they have to die?"
The Supreme Being: "You might as well ask why we must have evil."
Kevin: "Yes, why do we have to have evil?"
The Supreme Being: "Ah, I think it's something to do with freewill."

I love it. Later on in a Philosophy 100-type course we talked about the problem of evil and notions of free will, which brought that exchange to mind.

I think it's a wondrous, wonderful film. That said, it's weaker moments involved some of the Pythons as characters for me as that felt a little forced in to me, but I'm not complaining, love the film.

EDIT: To be honest, while I respect the film and enjoyed it, I've never really loved 12 Monkeys. I should return to it.

Edited by Logan - August 25 2019 at 17:16
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 18:09
Damn.  I can't believe I haven't seen anything after Fear and Loathing.  I have a lot of catching up to do.  I piled on Brazil.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 08:35
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Damn.  I can't believe I haven't seen anything after Fear and Loathing.  I have a lot of catching up to do.  I piled on Brazil.

I simply wish I could see the Don Quixote film ... I didn't make it when it showed and now I'm sitting here empty handed ... I keep hoping that the DVD with 10K extras finally makes it out one day before I croak and a few folks here will clap and say ... good riddance!

TG has been on the top as one of my favorites for a long time ... well, it doesn't hurt that his birthday is also the same as mine, though he is a bit older.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 10:53
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I'm voting for Jabberwocky, re Terry Gilliam films,  although I've not seen every one here (about 1/3).  A Clockwork Orange was stunning and chilling at the same time.

A Clockwork Orange was Stanley Kubrick not Terry Gilliam. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 11:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I'm voting for Jabberwocky, re Terry Gilliam films,  although I've not seen every one here (about 1/3).  A Clockwork Orange was stunning and chilling at the same time.

A Clockwork Orange was Stanley Kubrick not Terry Gilliam. 

I'm convinced that Snicolette knows that A Clockwork Orange is Kubrick and that she was referring to my post that preceded it where I wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I could vote for a number of them happily, but Brazil is a masterpiece to me. It had a big effect on me as a teenager (that and A Clockwork Orange were my favourite films)."

When I think of Brazil, I also think of A Clockwork Orange, and in various ways I find Kubrick and Gilliam to be comparable directors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>