Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog: An Italian Ranking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog: An Italian Ranking
    Posted: January 30 2019 at 13:19
Ondarock is perhaps the most followed Italian music website. His editors are musical experts, and many love prog (I know because I see reviews with very high rating for progressive records of the golden age) more than the classic rock or songwriters. This is the ranking of the best progressive records of ondarock staff.

Yes - Close To The Edge 
Stella polare del progressive rock, il capolavoro degli Yes vince il confronto con le altre pietre miliari, confermando la sua straordinaria rappresentatività nel genere.
Quinto lavoro della band, è il raggiungimento di una visione totale, come un affresco rinascimentale senza una pennellata fuori posto.
Art Zoyd - Generation Sans Future

Edited by jamesbaldwin - January 31 2019 at 16:59
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 13:26
Very good ranking !!
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 13:27
LOL!!! I was expecting to see a ranking of LPs by PFM, Banco..., Biglietto..., Balletto..., QVL, Alphataurus, Museo Rosenbach and so on. 

BTW, has anyone else listened to Zarathustra (73) by Museo Rosenbach?   What an album!

Edited by LAM-SGC - January 30 2019 at 13:33
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 14:03
Nothing from the bold Italians before 44!!

Surprising, to say the least. I must have 4 or 5 RPI titles in my personal top 25 list.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 14:32
I've got at least 10 RPI titles in my Top 50.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 14:43
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

LOL!!! I was expecting to see a ranking of LPs by PFM, Banco..., Biglietto..., Balletto..., QVL, Alphataurus, Museo Rosenbach and so on. 

BTW, has anyone else listened to Zarathustra (73) by <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18.2px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Museo Rosenbach?   What an album!</span>

Yeah, that album has quite a following. I like it but there are many others from Italy I like better.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 14:47

BTW, has anyone else listened to Zarathustra (73) by Museo Rosenbach?   What an album!

Zatathustra is my Favorite Italian LP ever - edging out records by PFM, QVL, Le Orme and Banco. Anyone who loves the old Mellotron needs this in their life.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 15:22
The Italian's top list reflects my tastes more than Prog Archives. That said, I've never been a fan of Close to the Edge, which is also the top album at PA.

It's really lovely to see Rock Bottom and Third make the top ten, and to see Gong, Third Ear Band and Colosseum make the top twenty. And to see Comus at 26, Univers Zero at 30, Henry Cow at 31, Aphrodite's Child at 33, Magma at 34, Family at 35, Art Zoyd at 41, Henry Cow again at 42, Hatfield And The North at 43, Area at 44 and 45, Banco del... at 46, as well as various awesome albums by the usual band suspects such as Van der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, and lovely to see Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother doing so well (my favourite Pink Floyd album, and one which doesn't even make top 100 at this site).

Edited by Logan - January 30 2019 at 15:24
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 17:06
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Nothing from the bold Italians before 44!!

Surprising, to say the least. I must have 4 or 5 RPI titles in my personal top 25 list.

As I said in another topic, the distinctive feature of Italians is that they don't appreciate enough what is Italian, and almost always prefer what comes from abroad. This explains (in my opinion) why Italian progressive rock is not so much considered in Italy.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 17:34
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

As I said in another topic, the distinctive feature of Italians is that they don't appreciate enough what is Italian, and almost always prefer what comes from abroad. 

I'd like more if this applied to Mr. Salvini rather than the Italian prog fans!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 17:45
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

As I said in another topic, the distinctive feature of Italians is that they don't appreciate enough what is Italian, and almost always prefer what comes from abroad. 

I'd like more if this applied to Mr. Salvini rather than the Italian prog fans!

Clap
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 00:21
ELP with 2 albums ranked in the top twenty?? Can't be right surely 
Wink
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 07:32
Thanks for sharing, Lorenzo! Great list. Maybe I'm more Italian than I knew! But then, I, too, would have several RPI albums in my Top 50--NOT, however, Zarathustra--with Palepoli, my least favorite "classic" of the 71-75 era.

I'd heard that Italians were far more positive/admiring with regards to foreigners' music--which explains why so many prog artists had early success touring Italy (Pink Floyd, Genesis). I'm trying to figure out if we Americans have the same psychology: The "British Invasion" to be sure--a phenomenon that continues to this day--yet I don't think our fascination with other musics crosses language barriers. In fact, it is probably the reverse that is true: our self-centeredness yet consumer shares have forced other bands to resort to singing in English in order to have any hope to make headway with our buyers.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 07:54
There are probably tendencies of this kind in many countries (even the UK except that there it doesn't apply to their music, rather to other aspects of their public life such as new runways for airports, football stadiums and managers etc.). For example, for a long time after WWII there were strong reservations in Germany against everything German including Kraut/prog of the seventies.

More precisely it is probably a trait in some people to be more skeptical about the things that are closer and basically thrown at them since childhood, and they rather look further for their own exploration and discovery. Surely the US, Italy, Germany and the UK also have their good share of people whose horizon basically ends at the border of their own country, but that's not those who you find in progressive music forums - or rather nowhere near anything remotely progressive. 

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:24

Me too. I thought it was an Italian music website.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:32
^ So was I. It's good to see Area getting love on the list (personally, Caution Radiation Area is my favourite Area album followed by Crac!) and one album by banco del Mutuo Soccorso. Definitely more Italian music would be on my top 50 (Picchio dal Pozzo would definitely be there for the self-titled, for instance). A lot of my collection is Italian, but most of it would not be on this site (lots of soundtrack and library music -- Ennio Morricone and Egisto Macchi, for instance, are da bomb).
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The Italian's top list reflects my tastes more than Prog Archives. That said, I've never been a fan of Close to the Edge, which is also the top album at PA.

It's really lovely to see Rock Bottom and Third make the top ten, and to see Gong, Third Ear Band and Colosseum make the top twenty. And to see Comus at 26, Univers Zero at 30, Henry Cow at 31, Aphrodite's Child at 33, Magma at 34, Family at 35, Art Zoyd at 41, Henry Cow again at 42, Hatfield And The North at 43, Area at 44 and 45, Banco del... at 46, as well as various awesome albums by the usual band suspects such as Van der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, and lovely to see Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother doing so well (my favourite Pink Floyd album, and one which doesn't even make top 100 at this site).
My fingers are tired so I guess I'll just echo the above^, which could've been written by me (on a good day)Big smile

Though to be honest, I am missing quite a bit from the rest of the world - in particular Europe. No Amon Düül ll? Madness..Tongue
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 17:13
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Thanks for sharing, Lorenzo! Great list. Maybe I'm more Italian than I knew! But then, I, too, would have several RPI albums in my Top 50--NOT, however, Zarathustra--with Palepoli, my least favorite "classic" of the 71-75 era.

I'd heard that Italians were far more positive/admiring with regards to foreigners' music--which explains why so many prog artists had early success touring Italy (Pink Floyd, Genesis). I'm trying to figure out if we Americans have the same psychology: The "British Invasion" to be sure--a phenomenon that continues to this day--yet I don't think our fascination with other musics crosses language barriers. In fact, it is probably the reverse that is true: our self-centeredness yet consumer shares have forced other bands to resort to singing in English in order to have any hope to make headway with our buyers.

Thanks to you, BF!

I agree. Do americans love music or film in italian (or french, or deutsch)?
How many italian records or italian films are listened or seen in USA?

I know that for a film, when the italian director wants to reach success in the States, 
he change the beginning and the end, trying to adapt it to American storytelling. 
All those who have won the Oscar since "Mediterraneo" have done it.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 19:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Almost the same for me.

In general, I wish that these people had more respect for the music as an art, and not consider the same artist for two or three different albums, because it takes away space for something else that deserves to be there but is not considered ... as good.

There is no such thing as good or bad, if it's all about our preferences, and all the more reason for many of these listings to list ARTISTS, not albums ... it's almost that the name of the artist is not important ... just the title of the album, and that is scary for me.

I wish that there was a listing of some of the best names in the style ... so folks can get a better variation, than 3 examples by one band and 3 examples by another ... and such.

Sometimes, honestly and cynically, I'm glad I will be dead and not have to think about this anymore ... it's depressing that so many get left behind because 10 to 12 spots are taken up again by the same band ... which ought to be a really good signal for us that the artistry by that band, deserves a better consideration than just an album that has become a favorite. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 07:25
Nice list---interesting seeing Traffic John Barleycorn so high up there---not a fan of VDGG can't get beyond the voice but figured they be popular in Italy. A little surprised Tales isn't on it ---but good list.

As an Italian American I always thought all of Europe was more open to all kinds of music than Americans --and it still is---which is why all the great prog comes from that side of the pond. 

Edited by twosteves - February 01 2019 at 07:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>