Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog: An Italian Ranking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 08:24
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

As I said in another topic, the distinctive feature of Italians is that they don't appreciate enough what is Italian, and almost always prefer what comes from abroad. 

I'd like more if this applied to Mr. Salvini rather than the Italian prog fans!

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
E per tutti il dolore degli altri è un dolore a metà
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 03:45
Italy was certainly the place for prog in the seventies. I once saw a list of the top ten albums for a particular week that included Pawn Hearts at the top and the rest was pretty much all prog bands. In those days VDGG were massive in Italy (along with PFM of course!) but struggled to make any impact in the UK and America.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 00:48

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Nothing from the bold Italians before 44!!

Surprising, to say the least. I must have 4 or 5 RPI titles in my personal top 25 list.

As I said in another topic, the distinctive feature of Italians is that they don't appreciate enough what is Italian, and almost always prefer what comes from abroad. This explains (in my opinion) why Italian progressive rock is not so much considered in Italy.
It's because we understand the lyrics LOL
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 20:30
Lol, what is it with Italians and their obsession with 'Van Der Graaf Generator??' 
I mean, they're a great band but not the best...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 21:52
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Lol, what is it with Italians and their obsession with 'Van Der Graaf Generator??' 
I mean, they're a great band but not the best...

Welcome, but best in what way?

What frameworks would you use to objectively determine "the best"? A problem is, when going down this route, even assuming that one knows and has the ability to appreciate everything and personal bias is minimised, there are many different approaches to determine what's best.   Usually, it just comes down to an aggregate of favourites from what those people know rather than a more scientific approach to ranking, which is fine by me.

Edited by Logan - February 16 2019 at 22:07
Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 07:34

Ondarock is perhaps the most followed Italian music website. His editors are musical experts, and many love prog (I know because I see reviews with very high rating for progressive records of the golden age) more than the classic rock or songwriters. 

It's a bizarre list with a group on the top that has less influence in their music, than classical or even things like Pink Floyd, which were far more "copied" in the 70's by many Italian bands, and then ELP ... however, if you listen to many Spanish and even some French bands in the 70's, take away things like ANGE, and you find (specially Spain) quite a bit of OUI (as Guy Guden used to call it!!!), in their music, and specially the bass whose work has some interesting moments that feels very Spanish (classical) to my ears, although I think this is very subtle and CS deserves the credit for doing what only Jaco Pastorius was capable of doing ... however, CS did this within a rock element, which was unusual at the time, but became better known after JACK BRUCE.

That list, for my tastes, is put together by folks that are not as musically versed and knowledgeable as many of the folks here ... where, at least, you have some older folks that WERE THERE, and HEARD THE MUSIC, instead of simply needling a couple of songs, which the top 20 in that list is literally littered with, as it is the same band (again!!!!!) and other bands, obviously not listened to within the same context and capacity, for them (or you!) to be comfortable with posting your choices.

While I do not wish to be thought of as a "stuck up old fart" of some sort, the idea of a music "top ten" list that is done simply as a commercial and personal likes and dislikes, is one of the worst things to afflict any arts in the past 75 years ... and specially so NOW, that something like the INTERNET makes some of those things seem right, because someone thought of it and I didn't.

One lesson here, and it comes from the guy with the colored balls in England ... he could not compete with the Top Ten, and his stuff was not selling ... you know what he did? HE CREATED HIS OWN TOP TEN, and within months everything he had was selling ... only one problem in retrospect ... a lot of those bands, did not get their commissions as they should have ... and a lot of folks were very upset, and have died, ripped off. How would you like to be one of them ... just because a website wants to look more important and impressive than the others, including PA, that uses these forums as a place for everything, the kitchen sink, all the mice and ants ... and then wants to be a better representative of "progressive music" when they don't even want to "organize" and "improve" the amount of work and information they have.

First on the agenda ... us telling (TELLING) the artist what they are ... like they care ... most of them just play their music as they see fit. And seeing that Italian moron tell Gentle Giant that this is that and that is this, to a group that kinda invented the terminology in the first place ... the whole thing is just sick, and I do not wish to ever do that. No artist will be the same each and every time, and we have to stop thinking that it is a requirement for them to be great ... their LIFETIME's worth of work is their measure for greatness ... not one album!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 10:18
Can't get behind no ranking that has Relayer third from the end. Those nutty Italianos!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 07:10
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Can't get behind no ranking that has Relayer third from the end. Those nutty Italianos!

And their sub-conscious reasoning is that the music in that album is much more "rock" related (specially the title cut) than the earlier material which is more symphonic/classical in style. Italian bands, are (for the most part) quite classically inspired, and that album in particular ... is the group's big finger to all the folks that trashed TFTO ... and I like it for that very reason. Sadly the group never really recovered from that and ended up just going for the pop stuff in my book. RELAYER is the last YES album that I ever got!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 01:05
I thought Relayer was going more to Jazz fusion which was partly why Wakeman left the band. Gates though is simply the best symph prog track ever (IMO).
gerunding View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerunding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2019 at 02:52
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

LOL!!! I was expecting to see a ranking of LPs by PFM, Banco..., Biglietto..., Balletto..., QVL, Alphataurus, Museo Rosenbach and so on. 

BTW, has anyone else listened to Zarathustra (73) by <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18.2px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Museo Rosenbach?   What an album!</span>
Same! I played "Della Natura" for one of my friends who never got into music roughly 10 years ago, and he really loved it.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 16:29
Hardly any newer prog on there at all(bands or albums). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12