Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gentle giant (musical styles)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 06:54
Hi,

So strange to see this ... specially when Gary Green has been on record saying that they never composed anything ... they just played, which in some pieces, it has a tendency to really look off kilter, (and many people thought so at the time, btw!!!!!!!) and make it a harder experience all around for many folks to appreciate.

Buried in all this, is something that was being taught in schools and universities at the time, point/counterpoint in a lot of modern music, and the complete dismantling of melody, into something that is harder to listen to, however, in the end, it has its "own" melody, and this is tougher all around.

GG, is not the only group at the time doing odd stuff ... you can go to Henry Cow and Art Bears at the time to realize that these folks were "prime students" in music, and not just your average rock'n'roller that only knew 3 chords and a (supposed!) solo over it!

I, personally, think that in their first 5 albums or so, that a lot of its material was just done as is, and there was no changes, or additions that took away some of its innate beauty and design. AND, this is important, and something that nowadays, with DAW's, is not appreciated and too many bands are simply changing it in the studio (or the home!) to supposedly make it better, and all they are doing is taking out the subtlety that helped create the piece in the first place ... and this is where some bands, as is the case of DT, suffers when it's rather clear that the lyrics were added on, and not a natural part of the development of the music, that continues on, regardless of lyrics or not ... as if they didn't matter anyway! Too many "metal" bands are doing that, and it's not hard to find and tell.

I would wish that we think of these things as "musical" styles. We can look at the 20th century, and find Stravinsky, Berg, Britten, Orff, Davies, Russell, and so many more ... and we do NOT think in terms of styles. So, in the end, an audience thinking that "styles" are important, in the end, they are limiting their listening content and thinking that what they like, or attuned to better, is more music than anything else is!

I just don't see the "maturity" that we would have after so many years of listening to these things ... GG is not a personal favorite of mine, but I will never EVER, think that this is an incredible group of folks that were not afraid to do things musically that most of us would not consider or even try ... EVER. And then, their musicianship alone, is enough to leave one breathless ... and btw, the concert I saw their ENCORE was 20 minutes long and in that time, they all played the drums, the guitars, the keyboards, the recorders ... and sang ... so do we really want to discuss their musical abilities? And then wonder how/why they did something like that?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 07:46
Try Gryphon Red Queen To Gryphon Three. Also Shadowfax Watercourse Way.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 01:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Spock’s Beard have ventured into GG-like territory on many tracks ; Gibberish is one that comes to mind instantly. I gotta say that SB are one of my favourite Prog bands these days.

ThoughtsSmile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 03:03
I always bring it up, but Gorguts Obscura is reminiscent of some classic GG sound approaches.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 07:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Try Gryphon Red Queen To Gryphon Three. Also Shadowfax Watercourse Way.

I would almost say that GRYPHON is totally classically oriented ... like Richard Harvey was not a master student in music with a very high degree in it. The fact that they had a sound that came off as being from another time, is not exactly a coincidence, but if you take those instruments out, and just pen the work, it is not exactly a rock piece of music at all ... extremely classical in its design! SHADOWFAX, for my ears, also fits in the same mold as GRYPHON, although they were placed somewhere between Fusion and New Age ... two of the worst and most confusing definitions EVER.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 14:31
Listen to the first track of the Spanish Fusioon II

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 16:33
Many have tried to imitate but few succeeded beyond a rather superficial level, IMO.

Among the blatant worshippers I do have some time for Armenia's Oaksenham:

Undoubtedly a very high-class production. If you listen far enough in there are even a couple of GG covers, superbly done.

Edited by Mascodagama - February 17 2019 at 16:35
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12