Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10cc vs Steely Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [34.69%]
28 [57.14%]
3 [6.12%]
1 [2.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10cc vs Steely Dan
    Posted: February 02 2019 at 13:36

Here's another Steely Dan poll. One thing these two bands have in common is both their names are a reference to sex.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 13:40
Watching this will give a proper reason why 10cc were such a good unit when they were most active.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPae3K-rUw
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 13:42
I feel Steely Dan's output was more consistently good through time, though I do still appreciate 10CC and their sarcasm.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 14:34
I was actually going to start a poll asking which bands should go up against Steely Dan next. If I do now I won't have to include 10CC. :)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 14:55
As this time Steely Dan are up against a band that I really like, I can take part and vote against them.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 15:06
I love the son I'm Mandy Fly Me, so great melody and changes, also love 10cc fender rhodes usage.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 15:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I was actually going to start a poll asking which bands should go up against Steely Dan next. If I do now I won't have to include 10CC. :)

I think the next poll should be Suzi Quatro vs. Steely Dan, so I can vote for Suzi.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 16:24
Again, my vote goes to Steely Dan.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 16:24
RIO invasion was yesterday, now the Steely Dan mob will drive all others out of the forum! Shocked
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 23:58
Steely Dan

10CC never did much for me 
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 05:34
I'm a surprised with the vote.  I expected Steely Dan to pitch a shutout here.  Steely Dan gets my vote.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 05:47
I like both.Maybe not equally, but close enough.

Shake & bake.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 07:53
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Steely Dan

10CC never did much for me 

Pretty much this.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 08:02
10CC.  It isn't even remotely close for me.  I can admire Steely Dan, but I always found them to be a bit humorless.  Maybe it was there and I missed it.  I loved 10CCs sarcasm, as cited by TCat, above.  Zappa asked "Does humor belong in music?"  I'd reply that it's vital to it.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 08:57
Steely Dan.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 13:13
This time I vote for Steely Dan.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 13:18
10cc by default.

hard pass on both though 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 18:50
Of all the Steely Dan vs. X so far, this X is the weakest.  
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 23:25
Surprised that 10cc isn't polling well. The highs of 10cc are higher than Steely Dan, who were the more consistent band, but you go for the band that gives you the higher buzz, so it's 10cc for me.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 06:32
Hi,

10CC deserves some credit here, but the sad thing is that a lot of its material is very much English Humor and Americans tend to not listen to English humor and only enjoy slapstick and crap lines as shown on Prime Shame TV. 

The rest of the comedy gets wasted and thrown out, because of a silly laugh track ... that basically tells you what is supposed to be laughed at and you don't know any better! And English satires on this already go back to THE GOONS, who used to play on almost every show with the audience, something that we can not appreciate much, because it's all in the mind, you know, and we're used to BEING TOLD, and not have to figure it out ourselves!

This is not to take away anything from Sleepy Pan,  and their very nice songs, but sometimes this is like saying that 10CC's songs were boring and did not have "personality" ... which is not true at all ... their albums simply did not sell in America like Speely Nap did, and thus, it's not surprising that folks here (from this side of the ocean?) would like Snappy Lan better!

And if there was any doubt about the talent and artistic work, of the members of 10CC, maybe it should be shown to folks here how much work they did in film, theater, and other arts ... because the folks in Steely And did not exactly seem to have been involved in as much, comparatively speaking.

So, we're saying we don't like "artists", and that "songsters" are better? What's the comparison based on? Favoritism and Fan-dom?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>