Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What band should go up against Steely Dan next?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What band should go up against Steely Dan next?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What band should go up against Steely Dan next?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.17%]
2 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.33%]
1 [4.17%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [41.67%]
1 [4.17%]
5 [20.83%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 14:44
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

how about we move past steely dan polls altogether? 

yep Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 14:46
Other: Redbone!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 16:17
I voted for Roxy Music, but The Moody Blues and Kansas could also win easily againt Steely Dan.

Edited by Manuel - February 03 2019 at 16:17
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 16:24
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

yep Big smile

Hey, you guys keep voting for them in the polls. Stop  voting for them in the  polls and they will no longer show up. Tongue
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 17:45
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Keep in mind they don't have to be jazzy or mellow or even sound remotely like SD. I just am looking for a "fair fight." Which of these(or maybe another band)do you think stands a chance against the mighty Steely Dan. Please try not to chose a band or artist that is one of the big five since they would probably not stand a chance.

Also, I want to encourage others to glean the results of this poll and take it upon yourselves to put SD up against the ones with the most votes. 

When you mentioned starting this thread in the thread that I started, I thought of ELO (who is not in the list).

I actually thought of adding them and almost did but I just thought Steely Dan would beat them pretty badly. I could be wrong though.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 03 2019 at 17:46
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 17:55
Steely Bran Big smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 18:05
"None" would be the obvious option.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 18:45
The Moody Blues. Or Love
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 03:45
Roxy Music
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 04:04
Obituary 
Evil Smile
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 04:54

Capital idea! On to the Rush polls!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 05:23
Neil Young
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 07:16
Hi,

Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks .... who made SD sound like a garage band one fine night in Jupiter, in some club!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 08:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The Doobie Brothers (or Fleetwood Mac or The Allman Brothers Band)...

Or on second thought, I'll vote from your list for the Pot Head Pixies (which is Gong for any who don't know).

smart man you are...Clap

later you mentioned the 3rd of the 3 truly great 70's musical bands America produced...

the ABB, Steely Dan, and BOC...

interesting comparison one draw between the 3 of them. Would be interesting to poll them, but even more interesting to debate them as I'd be curious to see just well people here know their music, not just what they like, to get where the comparison points and thus the similarities are...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 08:57
In terms of songwriting sophistication, I think BOC would be a good match for the Dan. Not that the two bands sound remotely alike, though BOC have always been much more than a simple hard rock band, in spite of the label attached to them. Queen might also be a good match on account of their eclecticism, even though I think BOC's songwriting is superior.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12