Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [36.84%]
12 [63.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 17:47
I honestly haven't gotten to know Vega but Tori on the other hand has but out a lot of stuff I rank as great.  On the level Kate Bush.  Fans of both should really check out Happy Rhodes.  If you aren't familiar with her work, I'd recommend starting with what she's done recently with The Security Project or start wit Find Me.  Way cool. :)
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 17:49
I have found when it comes to some artists you really can't pick one over the other.  
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 17:50
Tori Amos by a landslide
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 22:49
Whats interesting if one is able to pick it up when listening. Is that Vega, before she became an artist, and before she majored in british litterature, she was classickly trained dancer (ballet). One can almost sence hat in how the songs unconsciously have an elegance and sometimes swiftness. She almost never loos composure in her chill voice, but when she does, it startles. Shes also quite influenced by Leonard Cohan and befriended Lou Reed.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 07:01
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I honestly haven't gotten to know Vega but Tori on the other hand has but out a lot of stuff I rank as great.  On the level Kate Bush.  Fans of both should really check out Happy Rhodes.  If you aren't familiar with her work, I'd recommend starting with what she's done recently with The Security Project or start wit Find Me.  Way cool. :)
I liked what I heard on a cursory listen (Happy Rhodes), will check out more at length from work today.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 14:46
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Tori Amos by a landslide

Wink

btw...I saw her do this live in South Bend, Indiana many many years ago.

Edited by dr wu23 - February 12 2019 at 14:47
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 15:55
Tori Amos. Although I liked Vega's first album when it came out, her voice to me soon started to sound really boring. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 18:09
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Happy is good but those who like Tori and Kate should really check out Emily Bezar. She really sounds like a cross between Kate and Tori and I mean that quite literally. It's pretty amazing how she sounds so much like both and yet has her own sound too. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9076
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 18:24
Will do!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 22:57
There is a whole treasure cave of wonderful female singer/songwriters. I now listen to Paula Cole whom is inflenced by both Suzanne Vega and Tori Amos
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 03:09
Unfortunately for me Vega didn't resist the test of time  - I saw her back in 2009 (after she having received a Grammy for  "Beauty & Crime") and her stage performance was on the whole a bit of a let down.

Can't imagine today 10 years later 'cause I haven't been following her recently, my bad, don't even know if she keeps performing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12