Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [36.84%]
12 [63.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suzanne Vega vs Tori Amos
    Posted: February 04 2019 at 16:25
Two queens of songwriting, with rich sound and a will to go outside the standard pop structure.

Both experiment and have an artistic vision as artist.

Which is your favourite?
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 16:36
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Two queens of songwriting, with rich sound and a will to go outside the standard pop structure.

Both experiment and have an artistic vision as artist.

Which is your favourite?

Wow!!!!
I love both!
Suzanne Vega I and Solitude Standing are wonderful.

Tori Amos first four albums are wonderful.

Tori Amos....(But How sensual is she??!!!)
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 16:49
Suzanne Vega. I have a long history with her debut, and still play it quite often to this day. Love it. Some of her other releases are cool too, especially 9 Objects of Desire, and her Pentacles album was a nicer-than-expected surprise.

I do like Songs from the Choirgirl Hotel and sometimes I'll spin Little Earthquakes from Tori as well. But I prefer Suzanne overall.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 17:19
I like them both a lot, although both have hits and misses. Will go with Suzanne for a slightly higher number of hits, also I saw both of them live and liked Suzanne's gig slightly more (and Tori was not bad but too expensive for a solo show). 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 02:27
You can spot a Chris poll from a mile away........
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 10:05
Suzanne Vega is the better songwriter and much more pleasant to listen to (in my opinion).
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 12:32
Suzanne Vega, though I love Tori's debut.
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 23:44
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Suzanne Vega is the better songwriter and much more pleasant to listen to (in my opinion).

Yes.

I appreciate and enjoy also Tori Amos quite a lot, but for several albums of Suzanne Vega I have much closer relationship than to any of Amos. Less proggy, for sure, but an excellent singer-songwriter with a lovely voice.

Edited by Matti - February 11 2019 at 07:14
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 02:27
Tori Amos!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
vivoactive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivoactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 01:38
I would say Tori Amos, since I haven't listened to Suzanne Vega that much. Little Earthquakes, Under The Pink, Boys For Pele, From The Choirgirl Hotel, To Venus And Back and (really!) Y Kant Tori Read are my favourites. I have listened to all her catalog of studio tracks, however, I prefer her first 6 efforts. Fact is that Tori was the reason I started listening to music other than metal. So - Tori Amos (with respect to Suzanne Vega).
________
...that the storm really doesn't matter until the storm begins to get you down
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 01:41
T - T - T - Tori

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 07:08
I enjoy both (I love singer/songwriter types, when they are so good at their craft as these two, but love Tori more.  I have a beautiful signed outtake photo-poster of hers from Choirgirl Hotel and always enjoyed her live shows.

Edited by Snicolette - February 11 2019 at 07:09
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:01
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I enjoy both (I love singer/songwriter types, when they are so good at their craft as these two, but love Tori more.  I have a beautiful signed outtake photo-poster of hers from Choirgirl Hotel and always enjoyed her live shows.
have you heard Suzanne Vegas album number three (3), "Days of Open Hand", the two first albums are quite dominant and strong so one forgets the albums sucxeding them. Also album 99.9f is also very different and less acoustic more digital.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:15
Tori.....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 11:16
I have not, will check them out.  Starting out, Suzanne Vega used to play some of the little clubs that a woman that I used to manage played in Chicago, where they are both from, so I was familiar with her early on.  There was a nice upsurge of singer-songwriters right around then.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 14:10
In Liverpool is a very good song that have a fantatic chorus
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 14:28
Nice song, but I find Tori edgier....Sometimes Tori gets a little screechy, though, and Suzanne does not.  Both are fine writers.  I was at a Tori soundcheck for a Fillmore show back in '98, she was having so much fun playing with her vocals and the acoustics in the room (not screechiness)....Fun memory.

Edited by Snicolette - February 11 2019 at 14:29
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 14:46
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Nice song, but I find Tori edgier....Sometimes Tori gets a little screechy, though, and Suzanne does not.  Both are fine writers.  I was at a Tori soundcheck for a Fillmore show back in '98, she was having so much fun playing with her vocals and the acoustics in the room (not screechiness)....Fun memory.

Though I am not familiar with all of their output, I have heard enough from these two excellent singer-songwriters to agree with you about Tori being edgier. Suzanne sounds almost polite, even when she sings about disturbing topics (as in "Luka"), while Tori can get definitely wacky.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 14:51
Yes, that's a good way to put it.  And some of her lyrics are very pointy.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 15:10
I seem to have grown out of enjoying Tori Amos and her histrionics and sligthtly in to Suzanne Vega - who seem to be musically more interesting than I originally thought.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>