Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone knows about WOMAD festival?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone knows about WOMAD festival?
    Posted: February 04 2019 at 19:47
So, since last week I have been reading on FB that the festival WOMAD, organized by Peter Gabriel, and which has been going around for a good while all around the world, is coming to my city in 2020. Has anyone heard about it before? Is it usually good, and something to look up to? I mean, since I hadn't actually heard about it before this news.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 20:18
I've heard of it due to the affiliation with Peter Gabriel(who I believe started it)but I don't know much about it. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 04:39
I've been to WOMAD twice in the end 1980s/early 1990s in Germany. That's long ago but I enjoyed it a lot. The theme of it was somewhat left field world music, i.e., bringing together interesting musicians from different cultures. I saw among others The Mystery of the Bulgarian Voices (who appeared on Kate Bush's Cloudbusting), legendary Hungarian "pronks" Vagtazo Halottkemek (Galopping Coroners), Einstuerzende Neubauten, Das Ich, The Drummers of Burundi. Not sure whether I've seen anybody there who is now listed as prog. If it's still eclectic like that and you have an open mind, I recommend it strongly - but then of course my experience is from >25 years ago. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 06:52
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 00:22
In the UK it has been held near Malmesbury in the past which is half hour drive from where I live. My Niece went with her pals one year and had a good time. It does not hold much interest to me but if you like a bit of authentic ethnic music then it's a good one to check out I believe.

Edited by richardh - February 11 2019 at 00:22
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 12:48
World of Music, Arts, and Dance (WOMAD), founded by Gabriel in 1980, was something I avoided when its festival played at the soccer field of my university, California State University Dominguez Hills in Sept. '93. Gabriel, naturally, was the headliner which was plain weird, and after seeing a few lame performances by him in the '80s, I knew better to stay away or possibly have to endure his oft-used encore of, gulp, Biko. Later in 2011, Gabriel blew off a Los Angeles appearance in favor of stops at Santa Barbara and Berkeley, further putting me off to him. Odd choices for a leading member of prog's pantheon.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 13:35
Went to the first one at the Shepton Mallet (bath and west showground) in 1982 and dont remember much about it.. I think Peter Hamill played though I don't remember seeing him.. in fact I dont remember much about the music at all which is a sad indictment on my life-style at the time... It was a bit chaotic organisation wise but seemed well attended and I was quite surprised it was such a flop.. hence the '6 of the best' (Genesis reunion) at Milton Keynes to raise money to bail PG out! And from there it went from strength to strength.. they've had some very odd sites in the UK to stage it over the years but at least its fairly stable at Malmsbury in Wiltshire.. lived there for 9 years and went a couple of times with my wife and local friends.. A nice family atmosphere and very eclectic range of music from all parts of the world..

Post Reply Post Reply