1 [1.20%]
5 [6.02%]
3 [3.61%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums choices from 1966 to 1990
    Posted: February 05 2019 at 11:13
So I planned to focus on lesser-known albums, but I did end up including some big ones (sorry haters of Cardiacs, but I love that album). Multiple choice enabled in case you want to vote for more than one. If anyone claims that this is the wussy way to go about it or that having multiple votes might skew the results of the poll, I don't treat polls as contests and am much more interested in what people write and any discussion than looking at the poll results. If you want to mention an "other", feel free as long as you do vote for and mention something in the poll (it seems rather rude to me commonly when people don't do so). I could have just as easily gone for other choices.

{Edited to add the extra decade of music to the title}

Edited by Logan - February 05 2019 at 14:52
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 11:19
Love's Da Capo...Less garage, more psych than the eponymous debut.  Next step will be Forever Changes, one of the best ever in my opinion.  To be fair, not familiar with a lot on this list, I am getting more edumacated on what I missed along the way.  Steady listener from about 1963 all through the 90's (and a huge prog fan in the heyday as it emerged from psych) but veered around a lot, and just happened to miss many of these on this poll.  

Edited by Snicolette - February 05 2019 at 11:20
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 11:22
Voted Vortex, Cos, Jean Paul Prat, Shub-Niggurath, Cardiacs & U Totem

Good blend of fusiony zeuhl from two of them, one of the great none UK Canterbury bands, S-N is maybe the darkest avant album out there (up ther with UZ Heresie). Cardiacs is well Cardiacs, always loved the U Totem stuff
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 11:36
If I don't vote for Igor Wakhevitch - Docteur Faust maybe no one will. And that is a one of a kind masterpiece. I'll settle for just one vote for now. Bute maybe I'll come back and give my main runner's up:

Parallelograms
Green Ray
&
La Planète Sauvage
Integrati...Disintegrati
Mixtus Orbis
Il y a Des Jours
L'aldilà

-some love as well

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 11:50
^ I would vote for Docteur Faust. Well obviously being my choices in this poll, I could vote for all of them, so I rarely bother voting in such polls that I've made, but that is a particular favourite album of mine (a desert island type of album for me) and is one of my must have choices in the list.
So are your other choices, plus L'Enfant Assassin des Mouches, and some others. Various others were rather more arbitrarily chosen, but those I decided on even before looking up the years.

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Love's Da Capo...Less garage, more psych than the eponymous debut.  Next step will be Forever Changes, one of the best ever in my opinion.  To be fair, not familiar with a lot on this list, I am getting more edumacated on what I missed along the way.  Steady listener from about 1963 all through the 90's (and a huge prog fan in the heyday as it emerged from psych) but veered around a lot, and just happened to miss many of these on this poll.  

Forever Changes is my favourite Love album. A lot of this poll would not be appreciated by many people, I would think. I do love a very wide variety of music.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 12:02
Uh! This gets me on the wrong foot...
The Cardiacs and Art Zoyd albums see them on top of their games and that spells easy 5 stars and a vote for both, but... these are the only two from the list I know in full. Even only in parts I know just four or so more. Given that the only two I really know are that good, chances are I have a lot of listening to do and will probably be rewarded by a few great discoveries.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 12:04
Voted for the only 3 I have:

Igor, Shub & Beausoliel...quite a trio of albums Evil Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 12:51
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

The Evil smile is right. Those are "wicked" albums.

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Uh! This gets me on the wrong foot...
The Cardiacs and Art Zoyd albums see them on top of their games and that spells easy 5 stars and a vote for both, but... these are the only two from the list I know in full. Even only in parts I know just four or so more. Given that the only two I really know are that good, chances are I have a lot of listening to do and will probably be rewarded by a few great discoveries.

All good stuff in this list, if I do say so myself. I am loathe to recommend a particular one to you and dont know which ones you have heard in part (often such recommendations from me end up not being the best, per someone's particular tastes, as I don't have the musical ear that some do here), but the Hellebore, Wakhevitch, and Beausoleil are three that I think might be up your alley. And for those into Electronic, I find the Zanov and Leprino terrific.

Edited by Logan - February 05 2019 at 12:53
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 13:32
1. FABIO FRIZZIL'Aldila (aka The Beyond)

^A stupendous soundtrack, on par with anything Goblin recorded for Italian horror cinema. 

2. ALAIN GORAGUER – La Planete Sauvage (another amazing soundtrack)
3. COS – Babel
4. VORTEX – Vortex
5. LINDA PERHACS – Parallelograms 

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 14:14
I forgot Catherine Ribeiro & Alpes - Catherine Ribeiro + 2Bis among my main favotites (there's nothing I don't like here just levels of loving) so I gave here a vote along with Zanov and Franco Leprino who also had none
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 14:16
Shubby
Zoyd
Totem 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 14:18
Meditation Mass. Spinning it for the first time, thanks to this poll.  Nice stuff, lots of gentle waves with TONS of flute, jazzy interludes.  Nice music for cocktail hour. 

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 14:36
You mean 1990. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 14:49
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Forever Changes is my favourite Love album. A lot of this poll would not be appreciated by many people, I would think. I do love a very wide variety of music.

I listen to a lot of genres of music and always have.  A few genres hold little interest, but they are far outweighed by the numbers that do.

I think that I've discovered that about you  (loving a wide  variety of music) during the various discussions hereabout.  And where my knowledge collides with yours, we often are in agreement.  Smile

Edited by Snicolette - February 05 2019 at 14:51
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2019 at 16:20

Ya, they'd make a great playlist for Halloween night if you wanted to scare the kids away from your door Wink
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 05:40
You're correct about "lesser known" - I haven't heard any of these, unfortunately.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 08:27
^ Yep. A few of these would be pretty big for those into RIO/Avant Prog and Zeuhl (that Art Zoyd, that Cardiacs, U Totem and Shub-Niggurath), but it is quite an obscure list. In one case at least, I think I went too obscure. Other than various French Symphonic Prog, and some Italians, I'm not generally terribly into Symphonic Prog (which doesn't mean that I don't enjoy many of that ilk), so that would automatically lose me a fair share of audience.

I often favour music with a psych tinge, love folk music and jazzy music as well as classical, and one will commonly find Krautrock and Electronic Prog represented in my polls (and I'm a big fan of soundtracks and library music -- I should do a new topic on that specifically).

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I listen to a lot of genres of music and always have.  A few genres hold little interest, but they are far outweighed by the numbers that do.

I think that I've discovered that about you  (loving a wide  variety of music) during the various discussions hereabout.  And where my knowledge collides with yours, we often are in agreement.  Smile

I agree. :)

I think of you as being an open-minded individual, so you have also been open to experiencing a wide variety of art. There are styles that I don't like because the expression doesn't resonate with me or downright alienates me, but I like to experience many things -- at least within my ethical parameters (I'm not very adventurous when it comes to some things, but I digress).

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

You mean 1990. ;)

At first glance I thought you might have meant, 1990 because U Totem is the only one you heard, then I looked at my title (it's rare that I don't make some mistake, which is one reason why one often sees edits in my posts, which is sad for a copy-editor, but I'm more in the zone when I'm working in Word). Originally I was planning to stop at 1980, but having some time, I continued. That said, I often get confused with numbers, or can't remember them, which can include which decade is now sometimes (remembering to regularly practice Mindfulness can help).

Ya, they'd make a great playlist for Halloween night if you wanted to scare the kids away from your door Wink

I have put those those on as part of a Halloween playlist, plus some others that are creepy such as Arachnoid, Comus' "The Herald", and some music from "The Wicker Man."

I was listening to some podcasts on cults the other day, which also put me in mind of the Bobby Beausoleil album (his links to The Family). By the way, if you haven't heard it, Jimmy page's rejected soundtrack for Lucider Rising is an interesting one to check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e1QjB6fmKs
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 09:23
No brainer - Cardiacs. But to be fair I only know the music of three other names: Love, Art Zoyd, and U Totem.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 06 2019 at 12:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 10:07

I often favour music with a psych tinge, love folk music and jazzy music as well as classical, and one will commonly find Krautrock and Electronic Prog represented in my polls (and I'm a big fan of soundtracks and library music -- I should do a new topic on that specifically).

Snicolette here: Soundtracks would be great....I have to admit sometimes I love the soundtrack as much (or more) than the film and have been known to pay no true attention to the screen if the music grasps my attention more strongly.  Not sure if that means the composer didn't do the right job, or my ears are bigger than my eyes.  Which they are, or I would be very strange looking.LOL
I agree. :)

I think of you as being an open-minded individual, so you have also been open to experiencing a wide variety of art. There are styles that I don't like because the expression doesn't resonate with me or downright alienates me, but I like to experience many things -- at least within my ethical parameters (I'm not very adventurous when it comes to some things, but I digress).
[/QUOTE]

Well, thank you.  I try to be.  

Edited by Snicolette - February 06 2019 at 11:04
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imperial Zeppelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 10:20
Catherine Ribeiro, Cos, Codona, and Art Zoyd.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>