Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roxy Music vs Steely Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [38.10%]
32 [50.79%]
7 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Occulator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 10:25
I would be extremely biased toward Steely Dan in almost any poll.
I do like the Roxies a lot but Steely Dan have never put out a bad album, not even a mediocre one, they are all great.
Aja being the touted masterpiece. Their music bears multiple repeated listenings for minute intricate details and the lyrics are mind-boggling.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 10:33
Originally posted by Dr. Occulator Dr. Occulator wrote:

I do like the Roxies a lot but Steely Dan have never put out a bad album, not even a mediocre one, they are all great.
Aja being the touted masterpiece. Their music bears multiple repeated listenings for minute intricate details and the lyrics are mind-boggling.

Really? Have you heard the last two SD albums? I would say they hardly went out with a bang. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 10:40
Roxy by a mile...never got into SD...
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 11:33
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Really? Have you heard the last two SD albums? I would say they hardly went out with a bang. 
Is it so incredible to you that there are those who would disagree? I'd count Two Against Nature as my sixth-favourite SD album. I'd also consider both the last two Dan albums a light year ahead of the inexplicably-worshipped lounge-lizard pap that is Avalon. And I say that as a Roxy Music fan of 36 years standing
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 12:02
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Is it so incredible to you that there are those who would disagree? I'd count Two Against Nature as my sixth-favourite SD album. I'd also consider both the last two Dan albums a light year ahead of the inexplicably-worshipped lounge-lizard pap that is Avalon. And I say that as a Roxy Music fan of 36 years standing

In my opinion Steely Dan have never reached the peaks of Roxy Music first and second album.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 12:04
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

In my opinion Steely Dan have never reached the peaks of Roxy Music first and second album.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 12:15
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

SmileLOLClap

Wonderful film! Cult film!!!

I love the Dude!!!

In Italian Dude was translated with Drugo!!!! (A new word)Big smile
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 13:06
^haha don't we all (too bad Jeff sold The Dude to Stella, though. Guess he needed the money)
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 13:35
Not a massive RM fan but more a fan of their music than the fusion and jazz in SD. 
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 13:54
Big smile
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 15:27
If there was a racehorse named Roxy it would be taking the lead right about now. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 15:32

Nope, not incredible at all. In fact I expect it. That doesn't make me any less likely to state my opinion though just like you stated yours. ;)
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 20:33
Fan of both. Too difficult for me to separate them. Just on Avalon, it's pop, not prog, but is it any less a piece of art because it's not prog? Hardly. Just personal taste.

Edited by iluvmarillion - February 06 2019 at 20:37
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 00:17
Early Roxy is awesome, SD are dull. Voted RM
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 00:46
Steely Dan I guess
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 02:15
Roxy for me !
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 12:21
Whew...tough choice for me...two bands that I like quite a lot.
There's a uniqueness to both bands and a very original approach by  each.
It may be a cop out but I'll say equal on this one.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 21:03
Gaucho killed the 'Dan for me after a string of highly likable albums. I get something new out of Roxy' every time I listen to them although weak portions of their albums can be challenging to the ear. Hard to choose here.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 07:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Whew...tough choice for me...two bands that I like quite a lot.
There's a uniqueness to both bands and a very original approach by  each.
It may be a cop out but I'll say equal on this one.

right on Doc...  from a purely musical evaluation I'd rate them equal in terms of what they brought to the table as both had many great albums and were extremely unique and original. Though again the collection of musical talent and how it was used in Dan sets them above pretty much any group one can compare them to.  

Roxy never really connected with me the way the dark cynicism and corresponding bleak worldview of the Dan did..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 15:52
Dan by half a noselength.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>