Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tribute act playing your favourite band: +/-?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Concerning both gigs and DVD's of them.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [7.69%]
6 [15.38%]
4 [10.26%]
15 [38.46%]
11 [28.21%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tribute act playing your favourite band: +/-?
    Posted: February 15 2019 at 02:48
I remember when The Watch (not a tribute band really) toured with Genesis songs; I only had occasion to see their Nursery Cryme + Wind & Wuthering show, but I was blown away. They put two or three songs of their own somewhere in the middle, but it was mostly a tribute concert and I really wanted to see them doing other albums... never had the opportunity, though.

If we are talking about the best tribute experiences, such as described above, I could drive up to one hundred miles to see them. But I don't I'd ever buy a DVD.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 08:37
I have seen some good ones. There was Yes Tribute here in New Jersey called Yesterdays that was very good. Played all 70 Yes stuff. I also went to see Rain, (Beatles tribute) . There were good as well. 
 You gotta be willing to roll with it a little. No, it's not the original band but some of them put on a good show. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 08:30
Hi,

I think that we have to give something to the originators of music that we love. To this effect we do not question the many styled variations of Stravinsky, Beethoven, Ravel, Tchaikovsky ... you name it.

The big issue with the rock band history is that a lot of these acts are coming up now as a way to cash in on the generation that loved the music, and while the feeling is honest, I am not sure that this is really a good thing to do, which, in the case of THE WALL, and many of the acts running around, it is more the idea of keeping the material fresh in the heads and ears of the public, than anything else. Unlike many of the classical counterparts, the likelihood of these folks actually recording any of it, is probably not going to happen, and in some ways, this can be sad, since some of those musicians are excellent at what they do ... in many ways they are "studio musicians", since the requirements of knowledge that they have is much higher than the average player in any rock band!

I think that the idea that some music should not be allowed to die, is a GREAT thing, but it is my taste that since I saw some of the originals, that many of them are not what I want to see anymore ... it feels like this ... I saw Nureyev and Misha ... and you know what happened? I never saw another ballet since, because it was just too cardboard and unfeeling for me ... it was just technical moves!

And the same thing happened to me, with THE WALL that I was lucky enough to see the original and then many years later got to see Roger Water's version, which was not half as good, and the "environmental ideas" that brought you early PF and THE WALL, was non-existent, by some idealistic digital sounding quality that only went left to right and back ... it wasn't even close to the beauty and creativity of the original, and now, all I can say to everyone (which most don't get, or don't like!), is that in the old days we were all too stoned, and we forgot the feeling and the experience. By that time, I was no longer getting stoned! I had grown up and did not need the excuses anymore to get a girl ... not to mention that going to UCSB at the same time and getting ripped when you work 40 hours per week, direct scenes and plays at night, and then have a paper due in the morning, has a tendency to kill your stoned time immensely, but I was already not interested ... the music scene in Europe was better than any dope!!!!! PERIOD
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 04:19
^^  Yes, I also think that a tribute act is worth seeing mostly when the original band is not active. And if there are no DVD's of the original band with equal quality and a full classic set, why not enjoy the tribute band's excellent gig at home too?

But also the prize and the distance sometimes favour the substitute: I am going to yet another PULSE gig this year in my area (Tampere), as they will play The Wall entirely, but I wasn't willing to buy a much much much more expensive ticket to Roger Waters' The Wall show in Helsinki.

Edited by Matti - February 12 2019 at 04:21
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 04:10
I personally would go to a local gig of a tribute band if I enjoyed the original band enough, but I wouldn't really pursue them far beyond that point, the idea is cool for live shows, but other than that, I feel like I'd just want to stick to the original band
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 03:44
Being a Pink Floyd gig very unlikely, I'm used to enjoy the cover bands. Some are very good.
I wouldn't go to a tribute of active bands. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 19:46
Imo, tribute shows are best as sort of a hit-it-and-quit-it thing. Seeing it once can be a lot of fun, but it would be under special circumstances that I would see them again (such as performing one album one gig, another album on another gig etc.). And DVDs? Forget it. 

On the other hand, I have played tribute shows and they are quite a bit of fun. I also play in an MPB/Tropicália cover band, and the wider range allows us to "curate" more for more entertaining shows, which I imagine would be true of tribute bands covering a band with a long, very consistent discography. On the other hand, it helps that most people are hearing the Brazilian stuff for the first time. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 06:44
Hi,

Only one exception in 50 years of musical love sickness!

RACHEL FLOWERS
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 05:47
Nice to see that at least some people are willing to give a tribute DVD a chance.

Those of them who are Genesis fans (the Gabriel and quartet eras) will definitely enjoy Rock Theatre Plays Genesis 1970-1977, my review to be found on Various Genres (Tributes) section.

Edited by Matti - February 11 2019 at 05:48
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 11:45
Tribute bands don't really do it for me. No covers bands do, really. I prefer to watch artists produce original work. 

Once upon a time I liked to get DVDs, but now these days I just don't have the time to watch them, so I generally avoid, unless it comes with a CD of the show as well. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 11:36
I voted Wow!

But here in Oklahoma having a tribute band to any Prog band would indeed be Wow!

The only tribute band I've ever actually seen live was Over the Garden Wall at the Tralfamador in Buffalo, NY many years ago in the 80s. They were a Genesis tribute band out of Toronto.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 14:38
I would go see them, if it's not too expensive and easily accecible. Other than that, not much.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:02
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

I have a pub, in walking distance from where I live.They have coverbands every weekend.
I go probably 10 times a year and always have a good time.These guys love who they are covering, and want to do well.For example I have seen Strictly Sabbath (Ozzy years) 3 times.They are getting better and better, and is quite excellent now.
Sounds very nice

Cheap and cheerful.Smile
5-10 $ to get in.A few brews and a micky of jaegermeister in my pocket.
Coverbands will never be the real deal, but for a night out with some live music,
it works for me.Easy does it.LOL
Shake & bake.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 12:55
I saw a Rush tribute band called Aferimage once. I don't remember if I watched videos of them first but fortunately they turned out to be really good. Typically I try to hear something from the tribute band before spending money on them. Of course it's preferable to see the original but I suppose with Rush we no longer have that option and I would guess there will be an increase in the number of Rush tribute bands coming out.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 12:35

I voted for "I don't think so, tribute acts don't really interest me.". I'm reminded of an attitude I had towards Zeuhl. I wasn't interested in listening to Zeuhl groups other than Magma. I felt that there was no point in listening to anyone other than the "masters" of the sub-genre they created, and at the time I had enough Magma albums to satisfy my interests in Zeuhl. Fortunately, I suspended this attitude to give Dün Eros (the highest-rated non-Magma Zeuhl album) a listen. I was quite surprised to hear that the music was somewhat different to Magma, and fell in love with the album.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 11:47
TEHO, but for the life of me I can't fathom going to see a Pink Floyd tribute. Maybe it's because there are 37,416 of them!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 10:39
The only tribute band I ever saw was Rain, the Beatles tribute band.  Saw them 3 times back in the 80's and they were great.  Broke the show into 3 parts...the first act they wore the matching suits and did songs from 1963 to 1966.  Second act they came out wearing the Sgt Peppers uniforms and did songs from Peppers & Magical Mystery Tour.  Third act they came out dressing/looking like the Beatles circa the Let it Be film and played songs from the White Album, Let it Be & Abbey Road.

The only other tribute band I ever considered seeing was The Musical Box performing The Lamb but never have had a chance to (though I have watched it on youtube):

Edited by The.Crimson.King - February 08 2019 at 10:41
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 10:14
Jorge Luis Borges once wrote about a man who tried to write Cervantes' Don Quijote. But instead of just copying it, he tried to see whether it was possible to write the same book from scratch using the same words Cervantes used back in the day. Of course that task is impossible to verify and it would be the same as making a copy...now let's take these tribute bands into account: yes, they can play (for instance) Supper's Ready, but they could never have created the song themselves. A tribute band might play the songs perfectly, but they can't come up with new songs Genesis would have discovered if the classic formation remained together, for instance.
That's why I don't like tributes that much. Yes, they can play the songs, but it's just a pantomime. I would definitely enjoy the farce, but why should I buy a DVD/blu-ray if I can listen to the real deal?
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 08:38
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

I have a pub, in walking distance from where I live.They have coverbands every weekend.
I go probably 10 times a year and always have a good time.These guys love who they are covering, and want to do well.For example I have seen Strictly Sabbath (Ozzy years) 3 times.They are getting better and better, and is quite excellent now.
Sounds very nice
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 07:59
Buying a dvd,I don't think so ,as these bands come back once or twice a year, I rather go see them again.
That being said,I might buy a Musical Box dvd though.
I do watch music dvds a lot, but that should be the real deal.
Shake & bake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>