Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tribute act playing your favourite band: +/-?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Concerning both gigs and DVD's of them.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [7.69%]
6 [15.38%]
4 [10.26%]
15 [38.46%]
11 [28.21%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tribute act playing your favourite band: +/-?
    Posted: February 08 2019 at 00:35
I hope to get many votes and raise a discussion on tribute acts.
(Yes, there is a real case behind the idea for this poll, a DVD I reviewed and talked about in the Forum to almost deaf ears, to my surprise.)
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJoker7169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 01:46
I've seen The Australian Pink Floyd Show and The Musical Box live, and both put on wonderful performances. I was born too late to see the original bands in concert, so I'm really glad I was able to enjoy the next-best thing. That's pretty much where my interest ends, though. If I'm going to watch a prerecorded performance, why not just watch the original artist?
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 02:09
I'd definitely go to check it out, but I'll make you work for it to sell me on buying any merch.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 02:36
I'd love to see an Art Zoyd, Area and Can tribute band, as well as many others.

I probably would go if the tickets were quite inexpensive or I thought reasonable, or better yet if it was free concert, or if it as playing at a fair that I wanted to go to, and if the location wasn't too far to travel to, and if I had the available time. Doubt I would buy a DVD, but I might be interested in some other merch or even services.

The venue could be a deal-breaker. If I wasn't familiar with the venue for the concert, that I would research before deciding to go.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 02:46
I'm in for going to gigs of tribute bands of any band I love, as long as I know or feel their quality is good and the price is not abusive.
I doubt I would by any DVDs though, perhaps only if there is no original live footage of the genuine band.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 03:01
I'd be interested in tribute bands of any more or less inactive band that I love (or bands that has sucked for the last 40 years but used to be great). There's absolutely no chance of me buying a tribute-act-DVD though - why would anyone be interested?... but then again I think I have five of six music DVD's in total, and only actually watched one of them... once. Its not my thing I guess. I love live concerts but I have to be there. At home I prefer my music without visuals.
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 03:55
Thanks for your votes and comments, folks.

When it comes to the DVD's, it's indeed not only about having an interest on tributes, but also about having an interest in music DVD's in general.

As opposed to Saperlipopette!, I own approximately 110 music DVD's (perhaps 60% being prog) and I'm still keen on finding new good ones. Hardly a week goes by without watching at least a couple of them.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 04:48
I love music DVDs although when I'm alone I rarely find the time to watch them. And while you can listen to an album tens and even hundreds of times without getting tired of it (if you love it enough), once you have watched the same DVD 8 or 10 times you don't feel the need to watch it again and again.

But now and then I organise "Prog Evenings at Gerinski's" for my group of Prog-lover friends. We meet at my place without the ladies and do a men-only Prog evening, and then we watch some DVDs, have a pizza together and have some fun. For this purpose DVDs are great.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 05:42
If it's a quality band and the gig is local, I'll check it out.
It would be a stretch to want to buy a DVD.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 07:49
The Musical Box will be in town tomorrow and I will go. Tribute bands concerts can be really interesting, especially for bands no longer in activity .
However, to buy a DVD is non-sense to me. I prefer buying the real thing. 
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 07:59
I have a pub, in walking distance from where I live.They have coverbands every weekend.
I go probably 10 times a year and always have a good time.These guys love who they are covering, and want to do well.For example I have seen Strictly Sabbath (Ozzy years) 3 times.They are getting better and better, and is quite excellent now.
Buying a dvd,I don't think so ,as these bands come back once or twice a year, I rather go see them again.
That being said,I might buy a Musical Box dvd though.
I do watch music dvds a lot, but that should be the real deal.
Shake & bake.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 08:38
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

I have a pub, in walking distance from where I live.They have coverbands every weekend.
I go probably 10 times a year and always have a good time.These guys love who they are covering, and want to do well.For example I have seen Strictly Sabbath (Ozzy years) 3 times.They are getting better and better, and is quite excellent now.
Sounds very nice
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 10:14
Jorge Luis Borges once wrote about a man who tried to write Cervantes' Don Quijote. But instead of just copying it, he tried to see whether it was possible to write the same book from scratch using the same words Cervantes used back in the day. Of course that task is impossible to verify and it would be the same as making a copy...now let's take these tribute bands into account: yes, they can play (for instance) Supper's Ready, but they could never have created the song themselves. A tribute band might play the songs perfectly, but they can't come up with new songs Genesis would have discovered if the classic formation remained together, for instance.
That's why I don't like tributes that much. Yes, they can play the songs, but it's just a pantomime. I would definitely enjoy the farce, but why should I buy a DVD/blu-ray if I can listen to the real deal?
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 10:39
The only tribute band I ever saw was Rain, the Beatles tribute band.  Saw them 3 times back in the 80's and they were great.  Broke the show into 3 parts...the first act they wore the matching suits and did songs from 1963 to 1966.  Second act they came out wearing the Sgt Peppers uniforms and did songs from Peppers & Magical Mystery Tour.  Third act they came out dressing/looking like the Beatles circa the Let it Be film and played songs from the White Album, Let it Be & Abbey Road.

The only other tribute band I ever considered seeing was The Musical Box performing The Lamb but never have had a chance to (though I have watched it on youtube):

Edited by The.Crimson.King - February 08 2019 at 10:41
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 11:47
TEHO, but for the life of me I can't fathom going to see a Pink Floyd tribute. Maybe it's because there are 37,416 of them!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 12:35

I voted for "I don't think so, tribute acts don't really interest me.". I'm reminded of an attitude I had towards Zeuhl. I wasn't interested in listening to Zeuhl groups other than Magma. I felt that there was no point in listening to anyone other than the "masters" of the sub-genre they created, and at the time I had enough Magma albums to satisfy my interests in Zeuhl. Fortunately, I suspended this attitude to give Dün Eros (the highest-rated non-Magma Zeuhl album) a listen. I was quite surprised to hear that the music was somewhat different to Magma, and fell in love with the album.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 12:55
I saw a Rush tribute band called Aferimage once. I don't remember if I watched videos of them first but fortunately they turned out to be really good. Typically I try to hear something from the tribute band before spending money on them. Of course it's preferable to see the original but I suppose with Rush we no longer have that option and I would guess there will be an increase in the number of Rush tribute bands coming out.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:02
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Sounds very nice

Cheap and cheerful.Smile
5-10 $ to get in.A few brews and a micky of jaegermeister in my pocket.
Coverbands will never be the real deal, but for a night out with some live music,
it works for me.Easy does it.LOL
Shake & bake.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 14:38
I would go see them, if it's not too expensive and easily accecible. Other than that, not much.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 11:36
I voted Wow!

But here in Oklahoma having a tribute band to any Prog band would indeed be Wow!

The only tribute band I've ever actually seen live was Over the Garden Wall at the Tralfamador in Buffalo, NY many years ago in the 80s. They were a Genesis tribute band out of Toronto.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>