Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They sound very like Tangerine Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: They sound very like Tangerine Dream
    Posted: February 08 2019 at 05:06
Hi, 

I'm looking for bands to listen to that sound very like Tangerine Dream. This could be both old bands that have passed me by or new bands that are producing very TD-like music.

I'm not interrested in how bands are categorized or pigeonholed. So it makes no difference to me if they are called Ambient, New Age or Electronica as long as they sound very like TD. 

Thanks

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 08 2019 at 06:57
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 05:38
Well, me. ;-)

However. I've pulled all the music off my website due to piracy. I might be releasing some on CD later in the year. 

Here's a preview below. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 05:39
All done on home built modular synthesizers using 1974 technology. I spent four years building this - see Tech Talk on this forum - "Modular synth madness"  thread. 

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=114226

Edited by Davesax1965 - February 08 2019 at 06:07

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 06:00
Other bands you may enjoy:

Redshift / Redshreeve 

https://redshift2.bandcamp.com/

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 06:04
Also Pollard Daniel Booth, featuring a friend of mine. 

This is just one of their albums, they have a large discography and are releasing everything on CD soon. 

https://pollarddanielbooth.bandcamp.com/

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 06:10
Breidablik

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 06:19
New one on me, thanks, Vompatti ! 

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 06:43
I like them all (some of them are a little hard to find mostly early 80-cassette releases. But most is easy to check out on youtube):

Zanov
Cosmic Hoffmann
Ian Boddy
Mark Shreeve
Winterstormer
Clara Mondshine
Adelbert von Deyen
Earthstar
Colin Potter

...and yes I too like the already mentioned Redshift

-usually for those with extensive discographies, earlier material is a better place to start than later (as in most genres).
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 06:59
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Well, me. ;-)

However. I've pulled all the music off my website due to piracy. I might be releasing some on CD later in the year. 

Here's a preview below. 

Appreciate it Dave, but it won't play in my country
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 07:00

All done on home built modular synthesizers using 1974 technology. I spent four years building this - see Tech Talk on this forum - "Modular synth madness"  thread. 

Wow! That's a great set-up.
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 07:21
@Dave: Looks like the setup of Larry Fast, the guy behind Synergy ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul91n4okszA

To stay with the thread: Not sure if Synergy counts like a TD similiar band/project, but it's definitely very electronical

R.
sidc58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidc58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 08:21
You may have heard Jean Michel-Jarre, and a favorite of mine is a British group called Radio Massacre International.
"Why, she's no fun, she fell right over".--Nick Danger (Third Eye)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 09:06
JMJ isn't much like Tangerine Dream, alas. ;-)

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 09:18
All you have to do is explore the Berlin School section of the progressive electronic department. 

Artists like Klaus Schulze, Ashra, Peter Bauman, Cluster, Popol Vuh, Steve Roach, Pete Namlook, Harmonia, Brian Eno, Neu!, Manuel Göttsching, Hans-Joachim Roedelius, Edgar Froese, Michael Hoenig, Redshift, Harold Grosskopf, Radio Massacre Internatinal, Wolfgang Riechmann, Node, You, Neuronium, Zanov, Cultural Noise and tons of others all fit the bill. 

Sounds like Tangerine Dream is a very vague question since their early stuff sounds nothing like much of the later stuff. They have released over 100 studio albums alone, so a more specific era will yield more specific results. I just cited the 70s period after the early Kraut albums. I assume you mean like "Phaedra" or "Rubycon."

BTW, many of these artists are similar but very few are more accomplished. TD were the cream of the crop. Only Klaus Schulze, Neu!  and Cluster are as interesting and in the top tier status in my world. (unless i'm forgetting someone!)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 09:28
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

All you have to do is explore the Berlin School section of the progressive electronic department. 
Yes but quite a few of those you namecheck has little in common with Tangerine Dream imp. Hm just checked my suggestions and noticed that the best (=the earliest) releases by Mark Shreeve and Ian Boddy are missing, but Colin Potter's cassette releases of the same era was all there. But positively surprised to find them all in the archives.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 09:44
If it's the sequencer-driven sound you like (vs the droning spacey stuff), you might try:
  • Arc (DiN45)
  • Cosmic Ground
  • Node (DiN44)
More of the DiN releases can be found here:  https://din.org.uk/music

And you should check out the following blog for many more TD-like bands:

http://synthsequences.blogspot.com/

The specific genre (e.g Berlin School, Cosmic, etc) is given right below the track listings.

Edited by wiz_d_kidd - February 08 2019 at 09:49
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 10:43

Impressive rig, mate! Thumbs Up

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 10:52
Lots of Kosmische fits the bill, plus various retro electronic bands.

The first one I thought of has already been mentioned: Michael Hoenig for Departure from the Northern Wasteland which is Phaedra-like.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 11:35
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Yes but quite a few of those you namecheck has little in common with Tangerine Dream imp. Hm just checked my suggestions and noticed that the best (=the earliest) releases by Mark Shreeve and Ian Boddy are missing, but Colin Potter's cassette releases of the same era was all there. But positively surprised to find them all in the archives.

They have much in common. You need to specify which era of TD you are interested in. If nothing I suggested appeals to you then you are seeking a lost cause because NOBODY sounds exactly like TD

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 11:51
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The first one I thought of has already been mentioned: Michael Hoenig for Departure from the Northern Wasteland which is Phaedra-like.

A wonderful album, definitely "Phaedra meets Ricochet" territory. Essential.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>