Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They sound very like Tangerine Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 11:53
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Hi, 

I'm looking for bands to listen to that sound very like Tangerine Dream. This could be both old bands that have passed me by or new bands that are producing very TD-like music.

I'm not interrested in how bands are categorized or pigeonholed. So it makes no difference to me if they are called Ambient, New Age or Electronica as long as they sound very like TD. 

Thanks

Well, I have an extensive collection of electronic music. Which "era" of TD do you prefer? Do you have a favorite line-up?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 12:04
This is a very underrated, overlooked Berlin School album from 1985. For me, it's Software's best. Try it on a Sunday morning. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 12:58
Zombi's recent albums Escape Velocity and Shapeshift, and their excellent Anthology release which collects early recordings, should satisfy any TD fan.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 13:46
I have a question. With over a hundred studio albums WHY do you even need to bother looking for other bands? Here is a healthy supply to provide the soundtrack for the rest of your life Big smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 13:59
Originally posted by sidc58 sidc58 wrote:

You may have heard Jean Michel-Jarre, and a favorite of mine is a British group called Radio Massacre International.

Yes I have heard JMJ and live and tbh I don't think he sounds at all like TD. I shall deffo check out Radio Massacre International.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 08 2019 at 13:59
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:01
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Other bands you may enjoy:

Redshift / Redshreeve 

https://redshift2.bandcamp.com/

WOW!!!!!    That's exactly the sort of stuff I'm looking for. I'm still listening to it now.  Thak you so much. I knew I could rely on people here to hook me up.Smile
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:03
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Also Pollard Daniel Booth, featuring a friend of mine. 

This is just one of their albums, they have a large discography and are releasing everything on CD soon. 

https://pollarddanielbooth.bandcamp.com/

Yes, that is bloody good as well.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:04
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Breidablik

Oh, this is my fav suggestion so far. Where is this group from? Sounds cold and nordic.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:05
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I like them all (some of them are a little hard to find mostly early 80-cassette releases. But most is easy to check out on youtube):

Zanov
Cosmic Hoffmann
Ian Boddy
Mark Shreeve
Winterstormer
Clara Mondshine
Adelbert von Deyen
Earthstar
Colin Potter

...and yes I too like the already mentioned Redshift

-usually for those with extensive discographies, earlier material is a better place to start than later (as in most genres).

Thanks for the list, I shall investigate over the weekend. 
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:08
Originally posted by rocko rocko wrote:

@Dave: Looks like the setup of Larry Fast, the guy behind Synergy ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul91n4okszA

To stay with the thread: Not sure if Synergy counts like a TD similiar band/project, but it's definitely very electronical

R.

Thanks for the tip. But no thanks, that soulds like instrumental AOR to me. Not my bag at all.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 08 2019 at 14:08
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:09
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

All you have to do is explore the Berlin School section of the progressive electronic department. 

Artists like Klaus Schulze, Ashra, Peter Bauman, Cluster, Popol Vuh, Steve Roach, Pete Namlook, Harmonia, Brian Eno, Neu!, Manuel Göttsching, Hans-Joachim Roedelius, Edgar Froese, Michael Hoenig, Redshift, Harold Grosskopf, Radio Massacre Internatinal, Wolfgang Riechmann, Node, You, Neuronium, Zanov, Cultural Noise and tons of others all fit the bill. 

Sounds like Tangerine Dream is a very vague question since their early stuff sounds nothing like much of the later stuff. They have released over 100 studio albums alone, so a more specific era will yield more specific results. I just cited the 70s period after the early Kraut albums. I assume you mean like "Phaedra" or "Rubycon."

BTW, many of these artists are similar but very few are more accomplished. TD were the cream of the crop. Only Klaus Schulze, Neu!  and Cluster are as interesting and in the top tier status in my world. (unless i'm forgetting someone!)

Thanks, you are so right, sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees. 
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:10
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

If it's the sequencer-driven sound you like (vs the droning spacey stuff), you might try:
  • Arc (DiN45)
  • Cosmic Ground
  • Node (DiN44)
More of the DiN releases can be found here:  https://din.org.uk/music

And you should check out the following blog for many more TD-like bands:

http://synthsequences.blogspot.com/

The specific genre (e.g Berlin School, Cosmic, etc) is given right below the track listings.

Thanks I'll check them out.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:11
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Lots of Kosmische fits the bill, plus various retro electronic bands.

The first one I thought of has already been mentioned: Michael Hoenig for Departure from the Northern Wasteland which is Phaedra-like.

Oh yea man, Hoenig is definitely my cup of tea. 
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:30
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Hi, 

I'm looking for bands to listen to that sound very like Tangerine Dream. This could be both old bands that have passed me by or new bands that are producing very TD-like music.

I'm not interrested in how bands are categorized or pigeonholed. So it makes no difference to me if they are called Ambient, New Age or Electronica as long as they sound very like TD. 

Thanks

Well, I have an extensive collection of electronic music. Which "era" of TD do you prefer? Do you have a favorite line-up?

From Phaedra onwards really, but not everything. Phaedra, Tyger,Rubicon, Quantum Gate/Key ,Stratosfear, Hyperborea, The Angel of the West Window are all favourites. 

I avoid the very upbeat albums with rocky,funky,fusiony beats. I much prefer the "new age" end of TD. To give you an idea of some TD albums I don't like: Le Parc, Finnegan's Wake, Tangram, Encore, Zeit, Cyclone, Force Majuere, Exit, White Eagle.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:31

This is a very underrated, overlooked Berlin School album from 1985. For me, it's Software's best. Try it on a Sunday morning. 

That is fantastic! Exactly the type of stuff I like.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:33

Zombi's recent albums Escape Velocity and Shapeshift, and their excellent Anthology release which collects early recordings, should satisfy any TD fan.

Thanks for the tips. But all too fast and rocky for me.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:35

With over a hundred studio albums WHY do you even need to bother looking for other bands? 

Oh no you didn't! Did you just ask the forbidden question of a music collector on a music forum?
The answer as you know is always N+1. Smile 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:49

With over a hundred studio albums WHY do you even need to bother looking for other bands? 

Oh no you didn't! Did you just ask the forbidden question of a music collector on a music forum?
The answer as you know is always N+1. Smile 

I do have SILLY in my name for a reason LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 15:39

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Breidablik

Oh, this is my fav suggestion so far. Where is this group from? Sounds cold and nordic.
Norway. I believe it's a solo project.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 16:09
Radio Massacre International maybe?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>