Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They sound very like Tangerine Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 18:43
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Edgar on the beach at night   

You mean 3AM at the border of the marsh from Okefenokee. Wink

Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 08:17
Originally posted by Ananda96 Ananda96 wrote:

Hey guys, after long reading time here as a guest please let me jump into the topic 'cause i couldn't resist.
Let me introduce me shortly:
I am native German living in Centroamerica for 13 years now.
I have grown up with BERLIN SCHOOL GENRE from the early beginning.

please let me introduce you to MIRKO LIETGE and FRANK KLARE from Berlin formed the Duo SYNCO in the mid 80ties and 90ties.
Mirko and Frank have bought used equipment from Edgar Froese - the Moog modular Systems on their Album Covers are orginal TD equipment - i have seen this with my own eyes on private visits. they have made 6 albums so far performing strictly Berlin School Music.

there's only one video of SYNCO on YT so far what doesn't really express their work:

his companion FRANK KLARE after disbanding has made also more than 11 Albums in Berlin School genre.

you will like this one :-)

furtherly i would like to recommend BERND KISTENMACHER (Berlin) MARIO SCHÖNWÄLDER (Germany for english characters SCHONWALDER) DER LABORANT (Germany), GERT EMMENS and RUUD HEIJ (Netherlands). excellent dutch stuff! also SNYTH.NL (Netherlands)

Enjoy Gert Emmens & Ruud Heij

feel free to ask me about if you want more input - i have been part of this szene for some decades and know them all.
I am a progger all live long and i love jazz rock - i have my own blog.
I just discovered this by accident, that Synco track is awesome.

As you were

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 08:36
The Silver Surfer very much has a Tangerine Dream sound to it, although my review doesn’t make that clear at all. I was chastised somewhat for not mentioning TD (not by the artist, I must stress), but I had deliberately neglected to make such comparisons as I know several people who think TD boring and instantly switch off at their mention. I love all four of The Silver Surfer albums, as my review will probably show.

You can listen to, or indeed purchase, any or all four of the albums at Rivendel’s Bandcamp. They are available for individual download or streaming, under each disc’s title, or as a 4cd boxset (which is what I purchased).

Edited by nick_h_nz - December 29 2020 at 08:36
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 08:42
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Tangerine Dream doesn't sound like Tangerine Dream after 1980, in my opinion. ;-)

Hi,

Sorry about the reply almost a year later ... but I'm not sure you sound the same as you did when you were 20! 

TD was at the forefront of the development of the synthesizer and if you read EF's book, you will find a lot of the difficult issues that they encountered during those early days, until the more "electronic" and "able" became available, which kinda helped TD not have to carry some 20+ Macintoshes (later)  and then have them all working, and also too much equipment, some of which was bound to fail for whatever reasons!

It is not likely, or possible, for anyone to sound like TD after 1980 (or before!!!)  ... and if you go by the list, no one really tried it ... it was a factor that had to do more with the instrument design and ability than anything else ... the musical ability that we know (... by the sound!!! ... ) and expect, was not yet developed and it came to be right after ATEM and PHAEDRA. Which tells you that the instruments used were much better able to handle things and create the sound spheres RECOGNIZABLE TO OUR EARS!

But the toughest issue is that a lot of folks got stuck on the metronome, and not the music itself (or the melody) and this is something that TD never really forgot until the passing of EF, when the two guys in charge did nothing but get stuck on the metronome again, but then, they did not (AND DO NOT) have the classical music pedigree that EF had!

BTW ... have you heard Markus Reuter and Quaeshning on that 40 minute piece? It's like hearing some of the early Couriers and is far out! I would rather mention that piece than some of the stuff listed here ... although Gert Emmens is very special indeed as is Zombi/Steve Moore.

Edited by moshkito - December 29 2020 at 08:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 15:46
The early 80's era seems to get little love here (according to the review scores), but it's my favourite. Pretty much anything prior to Force Majeure leaves me cold I'm afraid. After Hyperborea it's all a bit hit and miss, but there are some good things amongst the rough. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 16:25
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

The early 80's era seems to get little love here (according to the review scores), but it's my favourite. Pretty much anything prior to Force Majeure leaves me cold I'm afraid. After Hyperborea it's all a bit hit and miss, but there are some good things amongst the rough. 

Most of the "prog rock-ers" prefer TD's earlier sound (up through Phaedra or so) but the line-up with Schmoelling has many fans here, myself being one.

"After Hyperborea" come a bunch of stellar albums, especially if you factor in the live albums and film scores: The KeepPoland, Firestarter, Le Parc, Heartbreakers (uses pretty much the same sonic palette as Poland), The Park is MineUnderwater Sunlight, Near Dark and Miracle Mile. That covers the decade!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 02:55
To be honest i've not heard many of the soundtracks. I have Firestarter in record which OI would love to get on CD. I love the key change in Charly the Kid. You are correct about Poland, it is superb. Le Parc is not great IMO. It's a bit sedate. There are some great tracks, most notably the title track, but it just doesn't really do it for me. Underwater Sunlight is decent enough but again the tracks don't really seem to evolve. Song of the Whale, both parts, and Dolphin Dance are excellent - as is Dolphin Smile. That's even better but for some reason wasn't on the album. I like Livemiles, but having heard the full concert on Youtube I wish they'd released that instead. Their approach to live albums is curious. I have a soft spot for Tyger as the Smile is really good. Alchemy of the Heart is a bit weak and the singing doesn't really work.

I had a listen to Optical Race last night. Again some good stuff, but their later work past the early eighties never really felt like it adqueately developed. Lily on the Beach is another one I have a soft spot for, Desert Drive is a lot of fun, and Mount Shasta is really nice. Melrose, meh, past that...I really start to check out. Some great tracks and fantastic production, but they are in the wilderness for too long after that.

But yes, the early eighties is my favourite period. I love those albums. But Phaedra, Stratosfear and Rubycon (part 1 is nice) don't work for me.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 09:21
the first track on Optical Race, "Marrakesh", is one of my fave TD tracks

Edited by kenethlevine - January 07 2021 at 09:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 13:40
Twin Soul Tribe, Turning the Wheel, and Ghazal are nice. There's good stuff on that album, my problem is that they abandoned all that lovely analogue from albums like Exit, and the songs, as I said, don't develop.

But I'm glad they're still going. 
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 14:25
I would mention Heldon "Stand by" (1979) with strong TD influences and Kubusschnitt - their entire catalog is  Berlin School oriented. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 08:05
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

To be honest i've not heard many of the soundtracks.
But yes, the early eighties is my favourite period. I love those albums. But Phaedra, Stratosfear and Rubycon (part 1 is nice) don't work for me.

Hi,

As much as there is a lot of stuff that EF and TD did for many films, in the end, it is a bit lacking in the satisfaction side of things, mostly because the music can not "fit" the film, and the director of each film was not a very good one when it came to music ... compare this to how RIDLEY SCOTT used music in a lot of his films, and it explains how a musician can help a film ... other than some bits and pieces in SORCERER, I don't think for a SECOND that any of the music was properly fit to the film, but listening to the hour and a half concert of the SORCERER music by TD (some of the last concerts in EF's days), gives the film (in your mind!!!) a completely different feeling that the film did not have ... too much Hollywood for me, and the music (supposedly) to make this moment better and more emotional to your experience ... AND TD went on to do this way better than the actual film!

The best example of how bad and stupid film studios can be, is how Ridley Scott made the music enhance the film so beautifully ... only for the "sequel" to destroy the use of the music, almost all of which was strictly done in the conventional Hollywood movie detail, rather than the music enhance the film, which adds so much to the original ... and is completely gone from the sequel ... as such the sequel was horribly designed and thought out ... and it was obvious ... it had no art whatsoever in it!

There are/were very FEW film makers that know how to use music ... Ridley Scott is one. I would say Peter Greenaway is another, although is use of music defies your imagination or mine, but he is not afraid to "trip" out (and does several times!) and let the music also go ... as you can see in his Mozart piece ... totally insane, although you have to give credit to the dance designs of the whole thing that make it work! David Lean was not afraid of using music correctly, and he made us cry in Dr. Zhivago, and several other times ... but he was a lover of long shots and extended shots that gave your idea/vision a more "complete" feeling about the scene ... you don't see things in snippets like you do in dreams ... in real life you see things extended for a long time, sometimes to the horror of it all! 

Of special interest in film music, would be how some of the Chinese folks have used music ... Zhang Yimou is not afraid of the long tracking shots and uses music to help them along, and when you see the film about the father and mother ... it is just awesome, and it takes you away, but in many ways, his visualization of the whole thing is probably way better than the music ... although the differences in Eastern and Western music is very obvious, but to me, it just gives me a better sense of another world ... 

Bernardo Bertolucci is good with music and has used it many times to color the film ... and help himself ... hear Vittorio Storaro talk about these films in "color" ... as how Bertolucci "defined them" ... and then how the music made it better ... and he used young/modern folks ... Ryuichi Sakamoto (more than once and Sheltering Sky's music is awesome) and David Byrne, and both of them "switched" places to do their music ... David did the Eastern music and Ryuichi did the Western music ... and IT STILL WORKED!

Some also think that Nino Rota deserves a mention here, but to me, Federico Fellini is not very good "visually" when it comes to the music, and he gets too bored when the shot is longer than a few seconds, which takes away a lot of music. But once in a while you go ... wow ... that was neat!

One other ... his name fails me now ... but he did music for a lot of spaghetti westerns and ... well I've been to some of those places, and I don't hear that music at all ... and while the effect is nice and neat for some of these films, it really makes for a romantic thing, and not a real thing, and this is something that I am not a fan of ... in film, with great music, it is more about the real reality, not some kind of idea of this or that ... and this is the great difference between the awesome ones and the rest in film!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 09:52
I do enjoy some Berlin school arpeggiation, but it's kinda exhausting to listen to. 30 minutes of arp tweaking is hard on the ears even though I do enjoy electronica. Are there any recommendations that are a bit less...intense? Perhaps more like TD's Virgin years?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456