Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'75 to '82: Black Sabbath vs Led Zeppelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Considering only albums released '75 to '82...who's your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [30.77%]
18 [69.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '75 to '82: Black Sabbath vs Led Zeppelin
    Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:25
In the related poll, Black Sabbath has a narrow lead over Led Zeppelin considering their albums up to 1973.  Both bands took a year off and came back with new albums and in many ways new directions beginning in 1975.  As with most bands that transitioned from the '70's to the '80's, many changes were coming, some good, some not so good and one band wouldn't survive.  

Based only on their albums from '75 to '82, which band do you prefer?

Black Sabbath
Sabotage '75
Technical Ecstasy '76
Never Say Die! '78
Heaven and Hell '80
Mob Rules '81
Live Evil '82

Led Zeppelin
Physical Graffiti '75
The Song Remains the Same '76
Presence '76
In Through the Out Door '79 
Coda '82
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:44
I have to flip from Sab to Zep for this period.

As mentioned, PG and Presence were two of their best imo. Coda, while not a "real" album, is filled with songs that still never fail to get me hot and bothered.  I love Coda. And, finally, as live works go, Song Remains blows the doors off of Live Evil. 

Sabotage is great and the two Dio albums are fun, but not enough to topple PG/Presence/Coda. 

So I pick Sab on the early titles and Zeppelin on the mid/late era. 

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 15:25
As much as I love Sabotage, after that meh.  

Zep's Presence is my favorite album by them.  I still remember the first time I heard Achilles's Last Stand in a jeep on a dirt road in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains getting ready to go "tubing" down a river.  It has blown me away ever since.  The rest of the album just fits so well together IMHO, no songs are weak.  Nobody's Fault but Mine also another standout to me.  PG goes without saying...

So Zep for this period.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 15:29
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

As mentioned, PG and Presence were two of their best imo. Coda, while not a "real" album, is filled with songs that still never fail to get me hot and bothered.  I love Coda. And, finally, as live works go, Song Remains blows the doors off of Live Evil. 

Sabotage is great and the two Dio albums are fun, but not enough to topple PG/Presence/Coda. 

The rare Coda fan.   Wonderful farewell, 'Poor Tom', 'Darlene', and of course the staggeringly good 'Bonzo's Montreux'.   Plus the drunken live versions of We're Gonna Groove and ICQYB gave listeners a taste of the band live & raw that they didn't get from SRtS .   Those critics who thought the album was cobbled together for contractual reasons show their ignorance, as by then Zep had their own label (SwanSong). 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 15:37
Also a fan of Coda! Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 15:38
^ It is a gem.   I pity the fools who don't see that.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 15:59
Still Sabbath for me.
I did go through the whole Zepp phase for years but they never really stuck with me over the years. Sabbath on the other hand......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 16:01
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

The rare Coda fan.   Wonderful farewell, 'Poor Tom', 'Darlene', and of course the staggeringly good 'Bonzo's Montreux'.   Plus the drunken live versions of We're Gonna Groove and ICQYB gave listeners a taste of the band live & raw that they didn't get from SRtS .   Those critics who thought the album was cobbled together for contractual reasons show their ignorance, as by then Zep had their own label (SwanSong). 

David...another Coda fan! Cool. That brings our number up to 37 then, worldwide. LOL  Ozone Baby and Wearing Tearing are amongst my favorite Zep air guitar songs.

On a personal note, I was at the peak of my Zeppelin fan fury at that Coda moment. Naturally, being too young to have witnessed Zep in their moment, I knew that I had missed the party. Thus, Coda was a very special acquisition to me. It was as close as I ever got to the excitement of "new" Zep material, and I knew there would not be anything else for me.  Loved it then and still do. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 16:08
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Zep's Presence is my favorite album by them.  I still remember the first time I heard Achilles's Last Stand in a jeep on a dirt road in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains getting ready to go "tubing" down a river.  It has blown me away ever since.  The rest of the album just fits so well together IMHO, no songs are weak.  Nobody's Fault but Mine also another standout to me.  PG goes without saying...

Wow, Jim.  A fellow Presence devotee.  I raise my beer to you, my friend.  I gave my mini review in the other Sab/Zep thread, but to be brief, I agree. Consistent and cohesive. All the songs kick ass and they all feel like they "go together."

Beer

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 16:16
^ Presence only gets better with age.   My god what a tight (but loose) band.   Live versions of Achilles' were extraordinary.   "Nobody's Fault but Mine" also a personal fave.

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 17:00
Like many others, I have to flip from Sabbath to LZ from '75 on.  There's barely any Sabbath songs from the remaining Ozzy years that I love (Symptom of the Universe being the exception and my favorite Tony evil riff) and other than Neon Knights, Sabbath + Dio doesn't work for me at all.

On the other side you have my fave LZ album Physical Graffiti + Song Remains the Same (which is mostly amazing if you leave off Moby Dick and trim No Quarter way back) + Presence (which I think is a very uneven album, but is carried by Achilles Last Stand, Nobody's Fault But Mine & Royal Orleans).  In fact, I was at the Oakland July '77 Sunday show super-disaster and Achilles was the high point of an otherwise very low energy way to play their final US show ever Ouch
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 17:22
^ Trim No Quarter way back?    Surely you jest.   It is brilliant.   Further, the NQ versions of later years, especially in '75 & '77, have JPJ doing spectacular lengthy piano solos on his Grand.   Sorry but if you think the SRtS version needs trimming you aren't a true Zep lover.   And drop Moby Dick ??.   No, no, no. 

You're not getting it.   Please.

Edited by Atavachron - February 08 2019 at 17:23
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 17:26
This one is definitely easier.  Led Zeppelin for sure, though Sabotage by Black Sabbath was worthy of their best.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 18:34
I prefer Sabbath, but this period belongs to Zeppelin.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 18:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Trim No Quarter way back?    Surely you jest.   It is brilliant.   Further, the NQ versions of later years, especially in '75 & '77, have JPJ doing spectacular lengthy piano solos on his Grand.   Sorry but if you think the SRtS version needs trimming you aren't a true Zep lover.   And drop Moby Dick ??.   No, no, no. 

You're not getting it.   Please.

Not a true Zep lover?  Well, I sat through the train wreck that was the Oakland 7/24/77 show so that should count for something...but no need to worry, I have very little control over these things so I'm sure SRtS will remain exactly how it always has been...the songs will remain the same LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - February 08 2019 at 18:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 20:32
LOL  Well, yeah, Oak '77 had some issues, but on the other hand it was a great tour considering Page & Bonham had become junkies and JPJ was handling much of the stage direction.

But seriously, to say the extended NQ should be cut down is just, well, kinda sad.

Edited by Atavachron - February 08 2019 at 20:33
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 00:35
Black Sabbath

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 01:56
Sabotage may be my favorite album here but apart from a couple of songs on Never Say Die! I don't need to hear any of the remaining BS material ever again. Even at its "worst" Led Zeppelin isn't that bad... and their classic era lasted a year longer and we got an additional solid album in Presence when Sabbath gave us Technical Exctasy. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 03:10
Technical Ecstasy gave us : You Won’t Change Me, Gypsy, All Moving Parts.....and to an extent, Dirty Women. All great tracks.
Never Say Die gave us : Johnny Blade, Juniors Eyes, Shock Wave and Air Dance. All great tracks.
Heaven and Hell gave us : Neon Knights, Heaven and Hell, Die Young and Lonely Is The Word. All great tracks.
Presence gave us : Achilles Last Stand and Tea For One. The only great tracks.
Meh for the other Zepp albums......
Just my opinion, which stinks by all means, but I’m sticking to that analysis.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 07:30
I'd have done the both vote here....  RJD was no Ozzy but that was not a bad thing...  then again by that time Ozzy was no Ozzy of earlier vintage.. and Ozzy was no RJD... and those later Sabbath albums kicked Hillaryesque levels of ass.

Not a huge fan of LZ but there was some great stuff there across those albums..  especially a huge fan of Carouselambra off of In Through the Out Door.  Perhaps JPJ finest moment with the band...

put a gun against my head.. would have to vote based upon single favorite album of the period.. thus giving it to Sabbath
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>