Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Shine on Brightly vs The Least We can Do is Wave t
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shine on Brightly vs The Least We can Do is Wave t

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which album do you like the most
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [37.74%]
31 [58.49%]
1 [1.89%]
1 [1.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shine on Brightly vs The Least We can Do is Wave t
    Posted: February 10 2019 at 06:24
Hmmm when i hear the VdGG album the hammond playing reminds me of Matt Fishers often melancholic and dramatic hammond playing. Grand chords and with delicate passages. And the bluse and baroque fusion is essential on both albums. Also a doomsday feel is evident in both.

So is it Procol or is it Generator you are most enthusiastic about.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 06:36
In my opinion, Procol Harum are so far away from VdGG....
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 06:47
VDGG all the way.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 07:23
I love "In Held 'Twas in I", but The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other ranks amongst my very favourite albums.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 08:46
The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other - VdGG
A fave album of mine while I am not overly fond of PH who play a totally different sort of music.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 09:46
I will play opposite and vote for Procol Harum.  One of my favourite bands of all time.  And agree that these two are very different from each other.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 11:45
A very easy decision for me.

VDGG
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 12:26
VdGG
Songs cast a light on you
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 13:30
Procol Harum, and it's not even close. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 23:19
Difficult to vote against either. Both great albums.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 23:27
VDGG by a fair bit.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 23:55
Im quite happy by the result, not such a great devide as I feard. Closer than i suspected.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 00:20
procol harum
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 06:36
I love VdGG.  I've always adored VdGG.  But Procol Harum is in a league by themselves.  Not to start any arguments in taxonomy here, but I've always considered them to be the first prog rock band.  I saw VdGG only once (Beacon Theater, 1975) but I saw Procol Harum several times, usually with Robin Trower.  The 1st time, in 1968, they shared a bill with Moby Grape at the Anderson Yiddish Theater on 2nd Ave diagonally across from where the Fillmore East would soon open.  I saw them 5 out of the 6 times that they played the Fillmore East.  I missed their last show there in 1971, possibly with Dave Ball i/o Trower, because I was out of town.  I saw them at the wonderful Atlantic City Pop Festival, 2 weeks before Woodstock.  I saw them twice in Central Park at the Schaefer Music Festival, once in '69 with Robin and once in '71 with Dave Ball.  I saw the Prodigal Stranger reunion tour in 1991 and said "hi" at a meet and greet.  And I saw them at a 2001(?) reunion in a theater-in-the-round in some god-forsaken place in the middle of Pennsylvania, sharing a bill with Paul Kantner's reconstituted Jefferson Starship and Steppenwolf.  They were always great, but I can still close my eyes and see Trower (with his eyes closed as well) feet together rocking back and forth on the edge of the stage as he played the solo for the title song to Shine On Brightly.  They were/are amazing.

Edited by socrates17 - February 11 2019 at 06:40
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 13:02
Procol Harum......while I own most of the VDGG albums they are a band that I have never really warmed up to like many other bands and imho are overrated in the sense that they tended to sound overly quirky perhaps for the sake of simply being different . I'm sure all the VDGG fans will protest but....that's the way it is.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 15:25
PH by a looong way.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 20:23
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

PH by a looong way.

This could have been a PH vs. PH poll (Peter Hammill vs. Procol Harum), but it being an artist vs. a band, I don't think that the pH balance would be right.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 20:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

PH by a looong way.

This could have been a PH vs. PH poll (Peter Hammill vs. Procol Harum), but it being an artist vs. a band, I don't think that the pH balance would be right.
pH 7
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 22:18
I once bougth this Procol Harum album to check out what the fuzz was about (and its still in my collection)... and later with streaming I've listened to every album ca. 67-74. There's nothing wrong with their music, but I couldn't really hear anything "right" either. Not for me I guess.

VdGG wasn't love at first listen (although The Least We Can Do was), but I instantly knew something was right.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 09:00
Graaf
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>