Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fave of The Top 10 Prog Records as Voted by PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Fave of The Top 10 Prog Records as Voted by PA?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [20.88%]
13 [14.29%]
7 [7.69%]
16 [17.58%]
4 [4.40%]
7 [7.69%]
7 [7.69%]
8 [8.79%]
3 [3.30%]
7 [7.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 02:07
I'm genuinely surprised ITCotCK has so few votes here.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 02:50
Taab A+
Godbluff A
Foxtrot A-
Animals A-
Close B
Selling B
Red B
Wish B-
Dark C+
Court C

Edited by dr prog - February 18 2019 at 14:22
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 03:05
It also equally blows my mind how consistently popular TAAB is here.

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 03:12
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

The perfect album almost. But A passion play, Horses, Songs have almost caught up thanks to the remixes. Some stunning outtakes really should have made these better. Even Warchild and Too old could have been a lot better
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 03:24
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

The perfect album almost. But A passion play, Horses, Songs have almost caught up thanks to the remixes. Some stunning outtakes really should have made these better. Even Warchild and Too old could have been a lot better

Oh for sure! I would have (erroneously) assumed symphonic prog albums would take the first 3-7 slots exclusively here, lol. Folky prog is more popular than I thought!

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 03:33

Oh for sure! I would have (erroneously) assumed symphonic prog albums would take the first 3-7 slots exclusively here, lol. Folky prog is more popular than I thought!

Symph prog is a bit limited at times. They needed to jazz and folk it up a bit
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 03:47

Agreed! I also love and agree with the statement in your signature, as well Clap.

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 04:16

Agreed! I also love and agree with the statement in your signature, as well Clap.

This thread lacks more A grade albums.

The yes album
In the land of grey and pink
In the wake of Poseidon
1001 degrees centigrade
Wurdah Itah
Rotters club
Heavy horses
Moonmadness
Le Felona
Etc
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 13:43

\

Well...it's my favorite from that list but then I'm an old timer and that was around before the others...and I still have fond memories from listening to it in the old days at college.
I always thought TAAB was an overrated lp with repetition in many places during the instrumental areas.
Still like CTTE , Genesis, and Floyd albums...but not quite as much as the old days.

Edited by dr wu23 - February 18 2019 at 13:45
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 16:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

\

Well...it's my favorite from that list but then I'm an old timer and that was around before the others...and I still have fond memories from listening to it in the old days at college.
I always thought TAAB was an overrated lp with repetition in many places during the instrumental areas.
Still like CTTE , Genesis, and Floyd albums...but not quite as much as the old days.

TAAB has always been a good one to throw on while doing work, but I can't sit and listen to it like I can CTTE, Foxtrot/SEBT, etc.

I envy your experiences for having seen this all unfold in real time.

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 16:50
Voted CttE, but Red gives it a run for its money. 
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 07:24
OK, this is how I rank them, but ONLY today, February 19, 2019.

Close to the Edge
Possibly the richest offering on this list, manages to be complex, focused AND emotional all the time. Each track is a musical adventure in itself, basically no flaws, save for a moment or two in Siberian Khatru, which is still amazing. I think this LP lives up to fantastical realms painted by Roger Dean, really music out of this world and it will always stay close to the top, no matter what.

Foxtrot
Genesis are masters of unconsciousness and gatekeepers of ancient worlds, regardless of lyrical content. This is where the band reached its peak, as far as I'm concerned; one can wonder how many brilliant ideas can you squeeze in 5 minutes format: "Can-Utility and the Coastliners" might be definite answer. What's even more surprising is that even without its side-long epic, Foxtrot would deserve 5 star rating. "Supper's Ready" makes it almost unreachable: even if I know what part comes at which point perfectly, I'm always blown away. On a sidenote: once the track reaches its grand conclusion in "As Sure as Eggs Is Eggs", I have shivers running down my spine.
Like, 80% of the time, which is A LOT.

Godbluff
Amazing, just amazing consistency and intensity. As mentioned in other threads, "Scorched Earth" and "The Sleepwalkers" rival anything, ANYTHING that happened in popular music since the invention of Les Paul and Stratocaster. Funnily enough there is almost no electric guitar involved. On a sidenote, I always appreciated what saxophone can bring to the table in rock music contexts, and Godbluff might be the best example of its sonic possibilities.

Thick as a Brick
Onslaught of ideas, this record is basically brimming with memorable riffs, licks and vocal lines. Both Jeffrey Hammond and John Evan are more prominent than ever before; organs are omnipresent and make the album very cohesive and adventurous. The sheer amount of positive vibes, youthful energy and intellectualism make this Thick as a Brick very rewarding and easy to get into in the same time. I believe that version of Jethro Tull coud've easily gone the full prog route and stay on top of the game if not for misfortunes of 1973-74.
Anyways, this album is probably the most cheerful (in a thoughtful way) of the bunch and full of brilliant melodies. The fact they spent just two weeks on recording it, LESS than on liner notes and newspaper-style cover, is just mindboggling.

In the Court of the Crimson King
Nine of these albums were frequent listens in my family home when I was a kid (Animals being the exception), but I also had a "rediscovery" period as an adolescent. It was different experience: to catch tunes in the air when your father gives them a spin... and then to "find them" again with a bit more mature mind. I had a blast listening to prog for 2-3 hours every day.
King Crimson was instrumental in my Rediscovery period, it just meant the most to me on both conscious and unconscious levels. I refused to delve too much into lyrics to avoid disappointment; for me, all Sinfield albums had their own meanings and transported me to places of dreams. Mellotron textures and expressionist cacophonies of ITCOTK led the charge.
On a different day I might even pick this one as the best ever, especially if you ask me in September/October.

Selling England by the Pound
Used to be my favorite Genesis record until I started questioning bits of "The Battle of Epping Forest". Aside from that it's basically 50 minutes of musical grandeur and incredibly immersive experience. The initial run of Moonlit Knight -> In Your Wardrobe -> Firth of Fifth would be enough to get five stars, really; it's that good.

Red
Probably the easiest KC album to get into, especially for today's listeners and acolytes of heavy metal. Apocalyptic atmosphere, inert basslines, angular darkness of "One More Red Nightmare" - it's all extremely inspiring and stimulating. "Providence" loses focus sometimes, I really need to be in a right mood to appreciate it, but it doesn't change the fact it's a five star album through and through.

Animals
Running out of time so need to be quick. Animals is the most successful attempt of marrying relaxed, spacey Pink Floyd style with progressive rock, in my opinion. I love to put it in the background and it served me well on numerous occasions. Another plus for not falling into trap of lush/whiney melodies at all!

Wish You Were Here
Many strong moments, all time classic, but I have no personal relationship with this one. I'm not sure if it beats Meddle in my book, but it's definitely up there. Minor complaint: a bit tired with the title track, tend to skip it nowadays.

The Dark Side of the Moon
Another classic, for some reason 10x more successful commercially than anything on this list, but I'm fine with that. It sounds like movies running for Academy Awards: very pleasant for wider audience while retaining some "experimental" qualities; it also goes well with American tastes for female background vocals and choirs, it's nice to sing along or make love to it.
I'm not bashing it, just trying to understand its phenomenon. Maybe it's production quality, to some degree, or cash register samples? It's a very good albums nonetheless, just not as pleasant as their best works, if you ask me.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 00:10
Close To The Egde >Foxtrot>Red>Animals>Thick As A Brick>Godbluff>Wish You Where Here 

Selling England By The Pound   
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
tailings View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tailings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 14:35
WYWH = CTTE > DSotM > Animals > KC = VDGG > Tull > Genesis
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 19:31
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Thick as a Brick
Foxtrot
Close to the Edge
In the Court
FeClaplona e SoClaprona
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345