6 [10.53%]
3 [5.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Light Orchestra vs Steely Dan
    Posted: April 18 2020 at 11:32
Steely Dan
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 17:35
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

For me SD is more boring than a Sunday without sports.

ELO no doubt 

pfff...  get your ass up here to the states and see me.. and I'll show you how boring the Dan is as you and me paint the town red with the Dan blasting from the death machines killer sound system.

trust me.. you'll gain a new appreciation of them LOL

anyhow.. perhaps the hardest vote of all of them so far.  I really do love me some ELO and have an emotional and nostalic attachment to them that the Dan, while they were the first group whom I bought an album of (god bless good ol' Columbia House) but even before Aja..  I was moved by my mothers ELO 8-tracks haha..

if there was one group that lead me to prog so many years later.. it was that group.. and if there was one song..  it was this one

still though..  nothing really tops the Dan when it comes to the objective qualities..  no band really tops their decade plus of sustained brilliance and a talent for songwriting and ear for melody that tops even the formidable talents of Jeff Lynne.

Edited by micky - February 19 2019 at 17:36
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 17:17
In terms of sheer musicianship and talent, SD any day. ELO has a bit too much pop in their discography for me to really hold a candle to SD.
The most dangerous man in America.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 15:15
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Dennis the Mehness ?

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 15:01
Dennis the Mehness ?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 14:59
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Steely Dan!

Not a fan of ELO outside of a couple songs. ELO has this.....sound....to their music that I don't like. I can only describe it as the ELO sound. I've tried the early stuff and while far more intriguing then their later music still doesn't connect with me.

I feel pretty meh about ELO.  Admittedly, I have never gone beyond Eldorado but the meh-ness didn't particularly enthuse me and I didn't feel like investigating their other stuff. 
meh-ness   
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 10:02
I wouldbnever twist anyones arm when regarding desiding favourites, thats cruel beyond belief.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 08:16
love both

if you twist my arm I would go with Steely Dan

but

voted both
Prog On!
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 02:42
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

ELO no doubt 
SD are more boring than a Sunday with sports !!

SD come across to me as silky smooth which isn't boring to me. It takes a great level of musical skill to do what SD does. ELO on the other hand sound all over the place to me. Wood was a great musician. Jeff Lynne is a great musician. I'm just not sure I care for the other band members of ELO. I prefer listening to Jeff Lynne on his own singing and playing a guitar without the backing band.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 00:37

ELO no doubt 
SD are more boring than a Sunday with sports !!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 20:27

ELO no doubt 

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 16:42
Both are top 10 for me.

Voted for Steely Dan.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 16:34
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd put the first 7 Dan albums up against the first 7 by ANY other music artist. They truly are that good. I like the first 3 Fagen solo albums a lot too, especially The Nightfly is just ridiculously good.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 13:54
^Totally agree.....the first with Wood and then the  second are both good...after that I lost interest though Third Day and Eldorado have their moments.
But Dan for the win here....and imho it's not even close.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 12:49
The first two ELO albums are really excellent (especially the debut album!), but after that they become overly-commercial. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 12:31
Eh I had one ELO (Out of the Blue) once upon a time but Steeley Dan, I have everything from their classic period in a verrry nice box set to their last ones and a DVD.  Not that I don't like ELO.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 11:59
Never cared for ELO. Steely Dan takes this one easily for me...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 11:06
I love what i have heard so far listening to the first four ELO albums. Love the swirly string arrangement, makes them have a unique flavour of sounds no other bands really have. That icy precision of violin and the calm warm presence of cello is so appreciated. It affects the rythmic element. Bombast and elegance, yet with an integral element of 60s influence yet they sound very prescent in the 70s. The combined efforts of synths and string instruments adds a sonic richness. On the Third Day is a particular strong album. With some breathtaking things happening.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 09:51

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Well, I think it's very debatable whether or not SD were pop or not. I respect your opinion but I think they were just not the same kind of poppy pop you have these days. You know there is such thing as intelligent pop and imo that's what SD were. Plus they had six top twenty(and a few more in the top forty)hit singles and that's ultimately what makes something pop or not(imo). Pop stands for popular and that's what they were. So pop oriented(like later Genesis) maybe not but pop by default? Definitely. 

If pop means popular, then that would make Floyd, Yes, ELP, Zeppelin, Queen, Sabbath, all pop. All sold tons of records in the 70s and all had at least one hit single too IIRC. Perhaps you do consider them pop but I wouldn't and not many would. The prominence of guitar solos in Dan's music firmly slots them in rock. Note I say prominence. Sure pop acts occasionally had solos like Carpenters' Goodbye to Love but by and large no whereas the vast majority of Dan songs have guitar solos and are indeed guitar driven. Everything that isn't hard rock isn't pop. As for later Genesis, no, SD's songwriting was way more sophisticated than them, no comparison.

No pop pop so much, but pop rock as a fair classification I would say for Steely Dan and ELO.

I would describe music by Steely Dan as "pop rock," as with ELO. Pink Floyd is popular, but I would not think of it as pop rock in the same way, more art rock (some of it I would). Queen, however, I would more comfortably put under the pop rock moniker along with ELO and Steely Dan. Some 80s albums by Yes I could also describe as pop rock.

Maybe by default, it could be called pop rock since you had metal, hard rock, punk in the 70s. I would call Dan just quintessential American music and that is probably why a lot of progheads see them as commercial because in prog, the American genres only seep in when the music is going commercial. I wouldn't say Dan were any more commercial than Dylan. Accessible, yes.

I have nothing against pop or pop rock, I love lots of music that could be classified as pop rock (David Bowie, Supertramp, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Blondie, Elton John, Peter Gabriel, The Byrds, Fleetwood Mac, Matt Berry, The Rutles, etc.) Steely Dan was moved from Crossover Prog to JRF at this site. To me Steely Dan made sense in Crossover as the pop connection seems obvious to me (West Coast pop rock with arrangements of a jazzy nature or Pop Jazz-Rock).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 09:15
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Steely Dan!

Not a fan of ELO outside of a couple songs. ELO has this.....sound....to their music that I don't like. I can only describe it as the ELO sound. I've tried the early stuff and while far more intriguing then their later music still doesn't connect with me.

I feel pretty meh about ELO.  Admittedly, I have never gone beyond Eldorado but the meh-ness didn't particularly enthuse me and I didn't feel like investigating their other stuff. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>