Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Soft Machine vs. The Aerosol Grey Machine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these albums is preferred by you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [73.81%]
11 [26.19%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Soft Machine vs. The Aerosol Grey Machine
    Posted: February 17 2019 at 11:47
Welcome my friends, welcome to the machine, the Man-Machine one might add. I'm keeping this short, if sweet, that may be debatable.

Anyhow, which of the debuts (even if that is debatable) in the poll do you enjoy the most?

I like both, but The Soft Machine is my preference.

EDIT: Even in short posts I still manage typos.

Edited by Logan - February 17 2019 at 11:53
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 11:50
That's a very nice and interesting match, and I have to think about it for a while.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 12:01
Very close, but my vote goes to The Soft Machine.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 12:13
Both pretty good.

Aerosol
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 12:39
Vdgg for me
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 13:26
Like both, but my vote's gotta go the Softs. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 14:28
VdGG
"Happiness is real only when shared"
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 14:34
I love VdGG, but for me it isn't close.  Soft Machine is utterly iconic.  One of my 10 favorite albums of all time.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 23:07
Difficult to go past the Soft Machine, but both good.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 00:23
I rarely listen to any of these but I like them. Its not original to consider both to peak artistically a little later. As a full album Aerosol isn't all that but the highlights are wonderful and it does show great promise. The Soft Machine however is hugely successful at being the loose, free spirited, unpretentious and fun jazzed psychrock-band they were in 1968. As different as the Softs were in 68, 69 and 70 - I never get the feeling of "transitional albums". So as indifferent to "but is it prog?" - a nice protoprog debut up against a swinging sixties psychedelic-classic the latter gets my vote.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 01:45
VDGG

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 09:09
I read what other's have said.  And this will probably make people mad, but I never liked Peter Hammill's voice.  I also revere Soft Machine as one of the founders of Canterbury, Jazz/Rock/Prog hybrid music I have grown to love so much.

Beyond a doubt, Soft Machine gets my vote.  Not even a contest here.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 09:38
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I rarely listen to any of these but I like them. Its not original to consider both to peak artistically a little later. As a full album Aerosol isn't all that but the highlights are wonderful and it does show great promise. The Soft Machine however is hugely successful at being the loose, free spirited, unpretentious and fun jazzed psychrock-band they were in 1968. As different as the Softs were in 68, 69 and 70 - I never get the feeling of "transitional albums". So as indifferent to "but is it prog?" - a nice protoprog debut up against a swinging sixties psychedelic-classic the latter gets my vote.

This. The VdGG album sounds like a step on the way to something great, whereas the Soft Machine album is already a full character on its own. That said, a few tracks on Aerosol are really great.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 10:04
Probably Soft Machine, for the very same reasons that Saperlipopette mentioned, not to mentioned of the very best "organ trio" albums.

Aerosol is also nice. Not quite as good as their later albums, but a good start, nonetheless.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 10:27
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

I read what other's have said.  And this will probably make people mad, but I never liked Peter Hammill's voice.  I also revere Soft Machine as one of the founders of Canterbury, Jazz/Rock/Prog hybrid music I have grown to love so much.

Beyond a doubt, Soft Machine gets my vote.  Not even a contest here.

It shouldn't make people mad, especially as you spelled his name right and you don't sound like you're insulting those who enjoy his vocals or using hyperbole to express your feelings (so many haters spell his name wrong). I used to say that Hammill's hammy vocals make me ill, which would usually get a clappy from someone despite not being very witty.    I disliked Hammill's "histrionics" as I saw it, and some of his more overt theatricality, but still loved songs such as "House With No Door", "Refugeees" and "Out of My Book" early on. His vocals grew on me over time, but it took some time, and I wouldn't expect it to grow on others (with some the problem is about his most shouty parts, with others it's the whole package).

I have suggested to some who have expressed utter contempt, ridicule and hatred towards VdGG (of which i would not include you based on such a post at all) because of Hammill's vocals to stick to the instrumentals such as Theme One, Boleas Panic, Vulcan Meld. Double Bass, and in keeping with this topic, "Black Smoke Yen" (not that such a but 1 minute and 18 seconds piece of music would sway people).

Anyway, while I enjoy VdGG with and without vocals, and I like the debut considerably, Soft Machine's debut is certainly stronger and more "already there" for me. Third is my favourite Soft Machine album followed by the second.

Edited by Logan - February 18 2019 at 10:30
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 12:42
Whereas the best Soft Machine albums (in my opinion) were the first 3 or 4 (+ their live radio recordings from 70-71), VDGG did their best work a bit later on, in the 72-76 period. Their first album is good, but not nearly as good as their later work. The first Soft Machine album really has a lot of soul. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 21:28
Soft Machine
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2019 at 06:48
The Soft Machine
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 03:37
Soft Machine
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2023 at 04:27
I've gone for VDGG, but I really should keep persevering with SM as at present, I can only do them in small doses...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>