FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fragile, melancholic, or gentle folk music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fragile, melancholic, or gentle folk music
    Posted: December 13 2021 at 13:45
Going Home - Annie Haslam
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 11:05
I somehow wasn't aware of this thread... very interesting, need to check some stuff out! Thumbs Up
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 05:58
Check out this song from Salt House - my best new band of 2021 and this is my song of the year.

Edited by chopper - December 13 2021 at 05:59
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 05:33
A couple of my absolute favorites

Cara Dillon - Garden Valley

Kate Rusby - Underneath the Stars

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 02:57
Sorry if I mention this artist too much, but I feel like a lot of songs from this album qualify

Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 01:35
One album that I feel deserves a mention in this catagory is the forgotten classic "And I Turned As I Had Turned As A Boy" by Dulcimer (with occasional narration by Richard Todd).

and i turned as i had turned as a boy (1971) FULL ALBUM dulcimer folk psych - YouTube

I recommend giving the whole album a listen, but here is what for me is the standout track (taken completely out of its context):

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 13 2021 at 01:39
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 09:39
Originally posted by Elgoulin Elgoulin wrote:

Hello all, I'm new hare. Wanna share my favorite band too.
The Wicker Man - Hiraeth - YouTube
I hope u enjoy it ^^/

Nice lp.....you might like this group but I bet you know them already... disbanded sadly.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 05 2021 at 09:47
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Elgoulin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elgoulin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2021 at 08:04
Hello all, I'm new hare. Wanna share my favorite band too.
The Wicker Man - Hiraeth - YouTube
I hope u enjoy it ^^/

Edited by Elgoulin - December 05 2021 at 08:08
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 21:45
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I actually can't understand why this wonderful album is still not in the archives; Friede suggested it a year ago. definitely one of our favorite folk prog albums

sorry for the delay Jean and Friede.  The only reason for the delay is that the prog folk team has been somewhat inactive when it comes to adding new artists.  We are now in catchup mode and we have added Lily & Maria!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 03:29
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I actually can't understand why this wonderful album is still not in the archives; Friede suggested it a year ago. definitely one of our favorite folk prog albums

Hi Jean,

this was analysed by us after you made the suggestion and it was approved by both Ken & I,

and I even asked you to do the inclusion... You might not have seen our answer in the Dandelion Patch, though.

Please proceed, if you can open the space - if not I'll do it.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:16
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Bot off topic but do we have a general prog folk discussion thread here...?
I'm wondering why The Albion Band is not listed on PA....since they are very similar to Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention.

Rather off-topic or really off-topic is generally fine by me in threads I create. I'm a free-wheeling type.

I responded in your Prog Folk....? Is there a thread..? topic. The Albion Band had been suggested for Prog Folk, from which it was suggested to and rejected for Prog Related.

By the way, Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention are both in Prog Related, and being a band related to a Prog Related band does not make a strong case for getting included in the Prog Archives database. That said, each band should be evaluated on it own merits, but of course the kind of music it relates to is important to consider as well for placement and inclusion.

I like the idea of a Prog Folk discussion thread in this forum for general progressive music discussions. I'd like to topic for all things folk music as there is so much overlap, including in folk topics that I have made..

Actual suggestions for PA inclusion should be done one topic per artist in the Suggest New Bands forum (good idea to search first to see if it has already been suggested, though the search can be wonky and one has to fill out the fields properly, like all-dates).

Edited by Logan - May 20 2019 at 11:17
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 10:53
Bot off topic but do we have a general prog folk discussion thread here...?
I'm wondering why The Albion Band is not listed on PA....since they are very similar to Steeleye Span and Fairport Convention.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 14:24
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

Not sure about the comprehension, definitions of what is folk for foreigners, but me the Ukrainian, likes Ukrainian... uhm definitely-village-themed pop and pop-rock. Whether it's all folk or folk-alike or big beat meets folk or Phil Collins meets folk, I know the language and these songs usually have very deep and tearjerking lyrics about an old mother in a distant village waiting for her child(ren) to visit her, or something like that. Sometimes it's just about love.

I told some foreigners about this LP, and that I think of it musically as Ukrainian ELO's Eldorado - none of them seemed to share my perception. But still, here we have deep lyrics, strong beautiful voice, great melodies (the first song is too pop, though).

Excellent Ukrainian singer Sofiya Rotaru performs songs composed by an excellent Ukrainian composer Volodymyr Ivasyuk. Not always quite gentle, not quite fragile - but probably subtle in its own way:

Oh, I somehow missed this post before when I was responding to Jean. I'm enjoying that music very much, thank you.

And for another for me to add to this growing list: Kazuki Tomokawa

Like many other choices of mine, he also made music that would fit my Acid/ Freak/ Wyrd Folk topic too or however I titled it.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 13:55
From David Thomas Broughton's album The Complete Guide to Insufficiency:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 17:57
^ Very nice, Jean, you might want to quote the post in the link HERE (CLICK) to reach out to Ken and Hugues. It seems Friede might have missed Hugues response to the suggestion before about her preparing the addition if approved. Seems to me those two were with fine with it, but you or Friede would want to check back with them.

It reminds me somewhat of this Chimera in PA:CLICK (even though that's listed in the Psych Rock category, though I'd put Chimera in Prog Folk as an Acid/ Progressive Folk-Rock group, but then that's my preference for many things folky and some of it is more rock than folk).

A nice one off Chimera's

And:

To check out more: CLICK

Edited by Logan - May 18 2019 at 18:06
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 15:11

Edited by BaldJean - May 18 2019 at 15:19

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2019 at 12:13
Not sure about the comprehension, definitions of what is folk for foreigners, but me the Ukrainian, likes Ukrainian... uhm definitely-village-themed pop and pop-rock. Whether it's all folk or folk-alike or big beat meets folk or Phil Collins meets folk, I know the language and these songs usually have very deep and tearjerking lyrics about an old mother in a distant village waiting for her child(ren) to visit her, or something like that. Sometimes it's just about love.

I told some foreigners about this LP, and that I think of it musically as Ukrainian ELO's Eldorado - none of them seemed to share my perception. But still, here we have deep lyrics, strong beautiful voice, great melodies (the first song is too pop, though).

Excellent Ukrainian singer Sofiya Rotaru performs songs composed by an excellent Ukrainian composer Volodymyr Ivasyuk. Not always quite gentle, not quite fragile - but probably subtle in its own way:

Edited by Woon Deadn - May 18 2019 at 12:15
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 12:43
I like that Leslie Low very much -- it is new to me. I'd heard that Masataka Matsutoya one before, and love it. Very nice choices. Thanks.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2019 at 18:33
Leslie Low was a recent discovery. Singaporean singer/songwriter similar to Nick Drake:

Also, there's this unexpectedly atmospheric gem from city poppers Masataka Matsutoya and Taeko Ohnuki: 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 11:24
These have a sort of fragile beauty about them to me (the second may fit the topic better):

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>