Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fragile, melancholic, or gentle folk music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fragile, melancholic, or gentle folk music
    Posted: February 19 2019 at 06:59
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations of music that might be considered melancholy, shows a certain fragility or a certain gentleness. I'm being too vague, but here are some examples.

Vashti Bunyan - "Winter is Blue"

Nick Drake - "River Man"

Lind Perhacs - Parallelograms

Hush - "Dear One"

Anything in the vein of any of that would be much appreciated (I know that would cover a huge amount of music, but mention some that touch you in some appropriate fashion).

Edited by Logan - February 19 2019 at 07:06
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 07:23
I'd say the wonderful The Use of Ashes by Pearls Before Swine qualifies but I'm guessing you're already familiar with it? More you probably got (and possibly a few you don't). Some here has a couple of unfitting tunes that ruins the mood somehow - but mostly not:

Sibylle Baier - Color Green
Arleta - Exi Meres
Tia Blake - Folksongs & Ballads
Reet Hendrikson - Reet
Ptarmigan - Ptarmigan
Trader Horne - Morning Way
Turid - Bilder (mostly quiet)
Tir Na Nog - Tir Na Nog
Paula Moore - Paula Moore (the one from 1978)
Molly Drake - Molly Drake (Nick's mother)
Larry And Myra - Eat The Day
Kathy & Carol - Kathy & Carol
Josephine Foster - Faithful Fairy Harmony (and more)
Gary Higgins - Red Hash
Dulcimer - And I Turned As I Had As a Boy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 07:46
Thanks, I don't know the majority of those. I have heard The Use of Ashes, but it's been far too long. Other than that I only readily recall Ptarmigan and Trader Horne (a couple of others, like Tir Na Nog, look rather familiar, but my memory is not what it once was.)

Edited by Logan - February 19 2019 at 07:46
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 07:58
I was just going to suggest that, glad you know it (The Use of Ashes).  I really love Bert Jansch's "Avocet," if you're unfamiliar and pretty much everything that John Renbourn did solo and with configurations of The Pentangle, but you probably already know those as well.  I will probably come up with more, as the coffee kicks in.  Smile  I like singer/songwriter/folk/renaissancy stuff too.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 09:37
You might want to check out Owain Phyfe, he's got some beautiful or early and Renaissance recordings available, and also his work with the New World Renaissance Band.  And Cantiga is an excellent early/Renaissance era group as well...Also Lisa Lynne and Aryeh Frankfurter (really his last name) have lovely solo recordings and duet recordings that are mostly contemplative.  These are all primarily acoustic, not sure if you want electric also.  
Connie Dover also has some beautiful sad pieces amongst her mix of folk pieces.

Edited by Snicolette - February 19 2019 at 09:39
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 09:48
Thanks, Pentangle I know well and much of the "acid folk" scene.   John Renbourn I hadn't really known for his solo stuff before we considered adding it to Related. I know Bert Jansch, but I haven't heard Avocet that I recall (maybe bits of the album).

One I really loved when getting into so called Progressive Folk in a big way was Forest, and also Trees (I could see the forest for the trees one might say).

Owain Phyfe, Cantiga (both sound familiar), Lisa Lynne and Aryeh Frankfurter I will look into.

Different from the ones I listed, but one I like:

Edited by Logan - February 19 2019 at 09:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 09:59
I'm sure more will come to me, Lisa and Aryeh are fairly Celtic oriented.  Aryeh started with a proggy electric band, Azigza (although he really started at 3 as a violin student).  He plays harps, nyckelharpa, cittern, psaltry etc and Lisa also plays harps and mandolin and they sometimes team up with Patrick Ball, renowned harper.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 10:19
I second Sibylle Baier and Turid.

Also check out:
TwinSisterMoon - The Hollowed Mountain
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
Mount Eerie - Lost Wisdom
Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness

Also, not quite folk, but Kahimi Karie's Nunki is definitely something you want to check out if you're in this mood.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 11:10
^ Thanks, I know the TwinSisterMoon and love it, and I know some Sufjan Stevens. The rest are all new to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 11:20
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I second Sibylle Baier and Turid.

Also check out:
TwinSisterMoon - The Hollowed Mountain
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
Mount Eerie - Lost Wisdom
Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness

Also, not quite folk, but Kahimi Karie's Nunki is definitely something you want to check out if you're in this mood.

Thanks for more stuff for me to check out, too.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 12:16

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 12:20
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 12:27
I think Sandy Denny's solo stuff is right in there as well as a band called Espers....which does a really melancholy mystical type of prog folk.

Could have chosen just about anything from them...I think they are fantastic.
A cover of a Jansch tune from 1971

Edited by dr wu23 - February 19 2019 at 12:47
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 12:54

Edited by Logan - February 19 2019 at 18:21
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 13:06
None more trippy than Circulus

None more fragile than Syd

None more beautiful than NSRO

Edited by Logan - February 19 2019 at 17:53
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 13:10
Mark Hollis' solo album is probably right there too.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 15:04
When I think of mellow folk music, my go-to album is Dino Valente’s only solo album from ‘68. Just beautiful.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 16:25
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think Sandy Denny's solo stuff is right in there as well as a band called Espers....which does a really melancholy mystical type of prog folk.

Could have chosen just about anything from them...I think they are fantastic.
A cover of a Jansch tune from 1971

Will definitely check them out further, liked what I heard after a few tracks.  
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 17:36
This thread seems to be infected. When i clicked on it five different downloads started. Trojan horses? Yikes

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 17:50
Those are Shockwave Flash objects (not dangerous). It happens when videos are embedded improperly. I'll edit those posts for the person to put the videos in the right embed format (done).

Edited by Logan - February 19 2019 at 17:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>