Collaborators' Top Albums of 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collaborators' Top Albums of 2018
    Posted: March 05 2019 at 18:33
Another year gone, another winter to recover. Maybe Spring, too. Can't keep doing this anymore. Plus, I live in the American Polar Midwest! We need help!

Great work Ian, Andy, Logan, Raff, 'bammer, SillyPup, HatMan, HistoryBuff, TommyZ, Michael, AussieBirdDude, 'tronStorm, Jimmy B, and all the other dudes and dudettes who have kept this place rockin and a rollin'
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 15:10
^Yes your ballot was counted. And thanks for returning.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 13:37
Great job, Ian, 'I Hope I've passed the audition/deadline?'' (no, I didn't pass the initial deadline!).

From my own Top 20, DAAL (my personal #1), VOIVOD (my #10), ALL TRAPS ON EARTH (my #14) and HAKEN (my #3) 'passed the audition' i.e. managed it onto the PA Top 20.

Next, my personal #2 ALCO FRISBASS at PA #26.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 15:29
Thanks guys for all the feedback and recommendations to get 'into' Avant. I checked out Thinking Plague a while back due to earlier recommendations, and yes it is scary!

The most Avant I have in my playlist (that I would consider Avant by the definitions here) are Maudlin of the Well / Kayo Dots and The Mars Volta but I guess both of those would be too mainstream.

I'll also check out the other Avant recommendations on this page.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 22:59
^ I would say Risk is my favorite, over the debut. But it's close, and Endangered isn't the far behind. I'm definitely a Far Corner fanboy. Either way, agreed that Risk is the best gateway of the bunch. I tried to go for best gateways in my list above, and FC was a pretty easy call.

Kido is wonderful in any context. Salle Gaveau isn't really appropriate here, but it is pretty soothing/meditative/floating stuff, and if it gets people in the Kido mood, then it's all the better. 

Edited by Man With Hat - February 25 2019 at 23:00
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 21:22
I think the most recent Far Corner is definitely a good gateway. I personally like "Endangered" better, which is less of a gateway.

Korekyojinn would be good too. They actually include a great gateway on their Jackson album.

And speaking of Kido Natsuki, include "Salle Gaveau" which is chamber tangos heavily influenced by Astor Piazola. Very beautiful music.

I just love Kido Natsuki's playing. I need to cue this up tomorrow.

I said I wasn't going to do this.

Edited by Tapfret - February 25 2019 at 21:33
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 20:47
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^Thinking Plague was exactly who I was talking about when I mentioned precision dissonance (Not sure if that was the exact term I used). It took me quite awhile to progress to their level. I think that they would be way over entry level.

Fair enough. As I said, I don't think they really go to extremes like other bands in this sub can do, so I thought for a second level exploration they would ok. Of course, I listen to merzbow on a semi-regular basis so everything is basically easy listening to me. Tongue

Perhaps I erred adding a second list. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 20:32
^Thinking Plague was exactly who I was talking about when I mentioned precision dissonance (Not sure if that was the exact term I used). It took me quite awhile to progress to their level. I think that they would be way over entry level.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 17:48
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

The other day I tried to post a video from Miriodor's Avanti!, but there was something wrong, so I gave up. From a personal point of view, I believe Thinking Plague would scare him off Wink, while I agree with Panzerpappa's recommendation. As Avant goes, they are quite "melodic". I would also recommend Aranis (sadly disbanded a couple of years ago), especially their beautiful Song from Mirage. Cheer-Accident also have a lot of rather listener-friendly material.

Anyway, if you want to approach some of the stuff people like me, Ian (Nogbad) or Simon (Mascodagama) rave about, I'd warmly recommend any of the Cardiacs offshoots. While the mother band can be an acquired taste, the likes of North Sea Radio Orchestra or William D. Drake (neither of which is listed in Avant) should be right up your street.

Thought about Aranis, but decided to go in rockier directions. I can't really recommend Cheer Accident (as I find them uneven at best) and to me their best stuff is probably a little too out overall (for the purposes of this exercise). I included Thinking Plague (in the harder list Tongue) because they don't do any of the things that scare 'normal' people off (ie squonky free jazz infestations, long form freakouts, completely atonal/noise drenched free for alls, etc), is very much indebted to the classical scene (while merging that with rock), and they do have some crossover appeal as witnessed on that other prog site.

But yeah...starting with the first list is a good idea. If that stuff is too much, the second list will definitely be. 

Edited by Man With Hat - February 25 2019 at 17:49
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 17:37
The other day I tried to post a video from Miriodor's Avanti!, but there was something wrong, so I gave up. From a personal point of view, I believe Thinking Plague would scare him off Wink, while I agree with Panzerpappa's recommendation. As Avant goes, they are quite "melodic". I would also recommend Aranis (sadly disbanded a couple of years ago), especially their beautiful Song from Mirage. Cheer-Accident also have a lot of rather listener-friendly material.

Anyway, if you want to approach some of the stuff people like me, Ian (Nogbad) or Simon (Mascodagama) rave about, I'd warmly recommend any of the Cardiacs offshoots. While the mother band can be an acquired taste, the likes of North Sea Radio Orchestra or William D. Drake (neither of which is listed in Avant) should be right up your street.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 17:18
Originally posted by deandob deandob wrote:

I like to keep an open mind towards different genres and will try different things, but I guess there is such a thing as muscle memory when it comes to music as I just can't get into avant-prog, it sounds out of tune to me (eg. that far-corner youtube track).

Here is a challenge - post a link or two of avant-prog that would be a good introduction to someone more used to 'plastic' prog and I'll listen to it a couple of times to see if it can grow on me.

Here's a couple 'easy listening' RIO/Avant bands/albums:

Miriodor (I'd recommend Elastic Juggling or Parade)
Salma Mammas Manna (Maltid)
Art Bears (Hope & Fear is probably the best starting point, but their best IMO is The World As It Is Today)
Forever Einstein (Racket Science)
French TV (I Forgive You For All My Unhappiness)
Hamster Theater (Carnival Detourement)
Panzerpappa (Koralrevens Klangesang)

A couple more that aren't too outrageous from a rock perspective but probably aren't 'easy listening':

Korekyojinn (Tundra)
Far Corner (Risk)
Present (Barbaro (Ma Non Troppo) or No. 6)
Le Silo (8.8)
Thinking Plague (In This Life or In Extremis) 
Volapuk (Polygut)

Sorry this evolved more into a longer list than I intended. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 16:26
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Here is the subgenre breakdown of the top 50.

9 Crossover
7 Eclectic
6 Avant
4 Neo
3 Symphonic
3 Psych
3 JR/Fusion (Just realized I mislabeled "Lady with" as Psike)
3 Folk
2 Heavy
2 Zeuhl
2 Tech/Extreme
2 DPI
1 Canterbury
1 Math/post
1 Prog Metal
1 Exp/Post metal

It seems Prog Metal is dead Wink

LOL . I did include Sons of Apollo in my list but don't think anyone else did. The dreaded Dream Theater connection didn't go unnoticed presumably Smile

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 07:53
GREAT JOB, IAN!!!!!!

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 07:51

Cheers Logan, I'll put those two Cardiacs songs on my playlist, the first one is already sounding good!

Glad to hear it. :) The category is such a mixed bag, and ideally, it would be broken down into sub-categories and albums themselves would be assigned different multiple genre labels.   Much of it is like a quirky, more experimental sounding Eclectic Prog, or quirky Art Rock, there are ones that are on the "Avant Pop" side, it has a Crossover with Crossover Prog, as well as most every category here (I might call Cardiacs Avant Crossover Prog). There is the RIO side of things (Rock in Opposition) which is its own thing (based on festivals and it had a manifesto), there is "chamber rock" which intersects with RIO, music that is more Academic Music, or modern classical-oriented, "weird" stuff, sophisticated music etc. Traditionally I had favoured what would be called the chamber rock side of things when it came to the category, but there is so much more that I do love (and quite a lot that I wouldn't as it is so varied). One will find more dissonance and jarring moments in much Avant Prog than one would find in the more melodic rock oriented categories of PA.

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This list just goes to show how diverse the prog audience is, most of the titles especially towards the top of the list wouldn't be in my list (seems to be a bias towards avant bands, reflecting the tastes of the more active members here?)....
]
   Avant-Prog listeners tend to be active, whereas ones who listen to vanilla Prog tend to be lethargic to the point of being comatose   

LOL

A friend of ours uses the expression "plastic prog", which I think fits some bands to a TWink. Seriously speaking, though, those Avant bands are undoubtedly closer to the spirit of the original progressive rock movement - even if their music may not always be easy to listen to.

It is closer in spirit to the original progressive rock -- the experimentation, the progression and breaking free of convention (rock and pop conventions especially). There is so much conventional, conservative Prog-by-numbers that is not progressive at all, but instead is just imitative and commonly backward thinking.

There is plastic as in synthetic Prog, and then there's the good kind of plastic Prog of many Avant, unconventional, experimental, progressive Prog acts, meaning that it has plasticity. It is flexible, alterable and adaptable. It could take on so many shapes, be so many things, and needn't be set its ways (liberal prog I might say, which is open to new ideas and a freedom of expression - a liberal mindset as Bertrand Russell might say ;)).   Liberal Prog Rock, progressive prog rock, conservative prog rock, I'm making this sound very political (RIO of course had a political element).

Edited by Logan - February 24 2019 at 08:01
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 04:00

9 Crossover
7 Eclectic
6 Avant
4 Neo
3 Symphonic
3 Psych
3 Folk
2 Heavy
2 Zeuhl
2 Tech/Extreme
2 DPI
1 Canterbury
1 Math/post
1 Prog Metal
1 Exp/Post metal

It seems Prog Metal is dead Wink
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 19:58
Cheers Logan, I'll put those two Cardiacs songs on my playlist, the first one is already sounding good!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 18:44

I like to keep an open mind towards different genres and will try different things, but I guess there is such a thing as muscle memory when it comes to music as I just can't get into avant-prog, it sounds out of tune to me (eg. that far-corner youtube track).

Here is a challenge - post a link or two of avant-prog that would be a good introduction to someone more used to 'plastic' prog and I'll listen to it a couple of times to see if it can grow on me.

What many hear as "out of tune" is chromaticism, diminished chords, wholetones, dissonant halftones and minor 5ths and other mechanisms used to to develop urgency in the sound. I assure you there is nothing "out of tune" about the Far Corner track. One of the most intensely beautiful things in music to me now is hearing 2 vocalists accurately hit 2 notes a half step apart to deliver an intense oscillating dissonance.

As I stated earlier in the thread, most of the avant sitting in the top 50 is the more accessible in the subgenre. I'm not going to post anything as I think it would be pointless. Tastes change, mine have. If you are going to get into other genres it will come with your own listening evolution. Heck, I just recently developed a taste for early Prog electronic.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 18:23

9 Crossover
7 Eclectic
6 Avant
4 Neo
3 Symphonic
3 Psych
3 Folk
2 Heavy
2 Zeuhl
2 Tech/Extreme
2 DPI
1 Canterbury
1 Math/post
1 Prog Metal
1 Exp/Post metal

Edited by Tapfret - February 23 2019 at 18:27
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 18:22
Avant Prog carries quite a wide variety of music, and it really does help to know one's tastes well.

I'll mention Cardiacs, though:

Edited by Logan - February 23 2019 at 18:22
Just a fanboy passin' through.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 18:06

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>