Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Was 1975 the peak year of the classic prog era?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was 1975 the peak year of the classic prog era?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 10:55
Nowadays we are bombarded with so much new music, much of it very good, that it's hard for recent albums to ever become true classics as the 70's best albums are.

I mean, a few years ago lots of PA members were discussing all the hype about albums like, say, Phideaux's Snowtorch, Beardfish's Sleeping in Traffic(s), Discipline's To Shatter All Accord, Haken's Aquarius, Birds and Buildings' Bantam to Behemoth, Diagonal's selftitled or Moon Safari's Blomljud.

People talked about them as the new masterpieces of Prog, but how often are we still talking about those albums when we talk about Prog Classics?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 12:42
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Nowadays we are bombarded with so much new music, much of it very good, that it's hard for recent albums to ever become true classics as the 70's best albums are.

I mean, a few years ago lots of PA members were discussing all the hype about albums like, say, Phideaux's Snowtorch, Beardfish's Sleeping in Traffic(s), Discipline's To Shatter All Accord, Haken's Aquarius, Birds and Buildings' Bantam to Behemoth, Diagonal's selftitled or Moon Safari's Blomljud.

People talked about them as the new masterpieces of Prog, but how often are we still talking about those albums when we talk about Prog Classics?

Not many great tunes these days. Occasionally there’s a fine one though
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jzrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 13:22
There is no doubt that the prog crowd is mostly made up of fans who were there in the 70’s when the music came out.At least that seems what i appears on the forum.
I fall into that as well.
I listen to new music all the time and find good music but in reality can’t really say I can find much that I would say moves me more than the 70’s output. Maybe it’s just my indoctrination to the genre? Or is there merit to believe that really for what ever reason those classic prog bands nailed it so well it is hard to surpass ?
I can’t believe that in another 10 or 20 years a new generation of prog fans won’t have a different idea on what is considered the best ?
   So maybe given that idea, it would be interesting for someone who is now in there teens or twenties who is a prog fan what they feel are the best .Do they hold the 70’s prog as the pinnacle of prog?
Or are their best of lists skewed towards more recent albums ?
CJG View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 01:00
It is very interesting the way this thread has developed. Most of the discussion has been around which year in the first half of the 1970s was the best year for prog. But the key point about the initial post was what the PA stats across the years are telling us.

So, applying the same default parameters for the number of reviews and the minimum rating criteria across the decades, the 2000s and 2010s have twice the number of entries in the PA Top 250 (when you add up the entries for each year in each decade) than we had in the 1970s decade which included the great prog era. I find that quite surprising.

I was 19 when Genesis released Selling England By The Pound (which remains my all-time favourite prog album). In 1973 I was just getting into prog and grew to love Yes, King Crimson, Genesis and Pink Floyd (and others). Like many at the time, my interest waned towards the end of the 1970s.

But I seem to be in a completely different camp to most of the contributors to this discussion in that most of the albums in my top prog album charts come from the modern era. That doesn’t mean I don’t value the classic prog era – I loved it and still do. It means I have a way of measuring it against the modern era and can state this as a fact.

I started listening heavily to prog again around 12 years ago. And because of the sheer volume of prog out there (and technology and the accessibility of music which meant I could), I listened to a lot more (and could afford to buy a lot more) than I could in my teens and twenties. And best of all, the technology also keeps track of what you listen to.

I devised a way of working out which albums I listened to the most – not the simple number of tracks played per album but on average how many times I listened to each track on an album. All I had to do then was estimate (the subjective bit) the equivalent numbers for my favourite albums from the past and I could make a comparison. Call me a bit nerdy but that chart now has nearly 2000 albums in it. If I look at the top 50 around 20% are from the classic era and the rest are contemporary prog albums. And this does reflect the mix of prog music that I listen to - I listen much more to contemporary prog than I do to the classic era. But I guess I am the only PA Forum contributor who thinks this positively about contemporary prog and that is a shame.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 05:15
Originally posted by CJG CJG wrote:

But I guess I am the only PA Forum contributor who thinks this positively about contemporary prog and that is a shame.

Oh I enjoy contemporary prog and hear loads on Krautrock-World web radio but hardly ever buy any, I don't want to get into building yet another collection.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 07:29
Originally posted by CJG CJG wrote:

It is very interesting the way this thread has developed. Most of the discussion has been around which year in the first half of the 1970s was the best year for prog. But the key point about the initial post was what the PA stats across the years are telling us.

So, applying the same default parameters for the number of reviews and the minimum rating criteria across the decades, the 2000s and 2010s have twice the number of entries in the PA Top 250 (when you add up the entries for each year in each decade) than we had in the 1970s decade which included the great prog era. I find that quite surprising.

I was 19 when Genesis released Selling England By The Pound (which remains my all-time favourite prog album). In 1973 I was just getting into prog and grew to love Yes, King Crimson, Genesis and Pink Floyd (and others). Like many at the time, my interest waned towards the end of the 1970s.

But I seem to be in a completely different camp to most of the contributors to this discussion in that most of the albums in my top prog album charts come from the modern era. That doesn’t mean I don’t value the classic prog era – I loved it and still do. It means I have a way of measuring it against the modern era and can state this as a fact.

I started listening heavily to prog again around 12 years ago. And because of the sheer volume of prog out there (and technology and the accessibility of music which meant I could), I listened to a lot more (and could afford to buy a lot more) than I could in my teens and twenties. And best of all, the technology also keeps track of what you listen to.

I devised a way of working out which albums I listened to the most – not the simple number of tracks played per album but on average how many times I listened to each track on an album. All I had to do then was estimate (the subjective bit) the equivalent numbers for my favourite albums from the past and I could make a comparison. Call me a bit nerdy but that chart now has nearly 2000 albums in it. If I look at the top 50 around 20% are from the classic era and the rest are contemporary prog albums. And this does reflect the mix of prog music that I listen to - I listen much more to contemporary prog than I do to the classic era. But I guess I am the only PA Forum contributor who thinks this positively about contemporary prog and that is a shame.

I think I'm actually in the same camp as you with regard to the modern era. I haven't really evaluated it based on how much I listen to stuff, but based on the ratings I have given to albums I own on Rate Your Music, I rate the the decade of 2010s at 3.81 and the 1970s at 3.78. I own more albums from the 2000s than any other decade and that one rates at 3.70. My low point is actually the 1990s at 3.45, which is just slightly lower than the 1980s at 3.47. Admittedly, my collection has more than just prog rock in it, but I estimate my collection is more than 90% prog and I still have more stuff to add to Rate Your Music (which takes a bit of time).
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 08:39
If I love Classic Era Prog so much then why do I never really listen to it anymore?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 09:58
I think in my case at least it would be incorrect to judge the overall quality of the music by checking how much I listen to whatever from this or that decade.

At present I listen much more to modern Prog than to 70's Prog, that's out of question. If I make only 2 big blocks, say from the 60's up to year 1999 and from 2000 up to now, I probably listen 35% to the 60's - 99 stuff and 65% to the 2000 - present stuff.

But that does not mean that I like more the modern stuff, it's just that the classics I have listened to them already so much that I do not spin them so often anymore, and I'm currently more busy discovering and getting familiar with the more modern stuff. 
Besides as it has already been mentioned, there is more modern Prog being released now by year than there was during the 70's 80's and 90's.
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jzrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 18:31
I was thinking desert island discs. Everyone would have there own personal choices. Sometimes that is a way of peeling back on what you really like in an absolute sense.
I would guess there is a an old thread here somewhere.
That would give you an indication of perhaps best era not year per se.
But that list may need to be at least 25 to get a better sample size.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 00:15
Well we have at the moment the thread "Your top 10 prog LPs, all times, all styles"

I did not do an album by album year check but it seems that most of the albums listed are 70's classics

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 02:11
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

If I love Classic Era Prog so much then why do I never really listen to it anymore?

Possibly because you feel that you should listen to new things? Trying to find stuff you have missed or re-listen to stuff that didnt grab you straight away? My dial emma is that I like buying new CDs, sort of package opening thrill and plastic fondling paraphilia..Thus I have 300 CDs that I have listened to once or maybe never....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 16:44
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I too feel the earlier seventies were the peak of Prog.
It's massively unfair (Not that anyone here says this) the perception of Punk killing Prog.
That's just a lazy get out clause for journalists to establish narratives.
Punk was a strong turn in fashion and direction but even if it never occurred the glory days of Prog were on the wane by 1975.
King Crimson had split. ELP seemed dormant. Gabriel had left Genesis. Even Daevid Allen had fled Gong!
The remaining groups made strong efforts, and some acts kept it going through the decade, but it seemed to have reached its glory days.
Maybe more Prog music is being made by new bands today but there just doesn't seem to be the public imagination to show any interest outside of the faithful.

I agree.
Something had to happen and it was punk. I actually liked early punk ( Pistols, Stranglers , Siouxsie and The Banshees , Buzzcocks) and then got really excited about Gary Numan. Anyone else believe that Replicas is a classic PROG album?!!

I think its interesting nowadays as to what passes as prog? You say that it does not capture the public imagination but then Muse can sell out massive venues in minutes. Check out The Globalist (from Drones) and tell me this is not prog.

What we really think is prog is just a tribute to seventies prog. It's like wondering why a Beatles tribute act is not selling out massive stadiums.
Bring back Pink Floyd with Waters and Gilmour or the classic 5 man Genesis line up and then wait and see the tickets sell...

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 17:25
^Gary Numan's early albums are superb. Great synth rock that wasn't "dance music." Gonna have to spin Telekon and, yes, Replicas.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234