Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Mark Hollis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Mark Hollis
    Posted: March 20 2019 at 08:38
Thanks for your warm words. Well, it's easier to write in English after 13 years in the UK.
I like your review, too.

An Italian friend of mine told me that in a very difficult time of his life listening to this album regularly on the way to work and back saved his sanity. He says Hollis/Talk Talk is the major music discovery he got through me, and he pointed me to Luciano Cilio, who may be the one whose music comes closest to the approach of Mark's solo album and the last works of Talk Talk.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 19:04
^ Now I've read your review, Lewian. Very deep. And I got envy for your english!

"Vulnerable" is the exact word for this music. I've used others, but the conceit is the same. 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 18:37
Here the review written by Lewian after Mark's death:

And here is mine:

Edited by jamesbaldwin - March 18 2019 at 18:40
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 07:53
Damn.  I pretty much ignored Talk Talk in their commercial heyday, lumping them in with the early 80's synth-pop outfits, which I generally couldn't stand, and who I associated (rightly or wrongly) with the New romantics, who I couldn't stand even more.  It was literally only in the last twelve months that I discovered their later stuff, particularly the last two albums, and was blown away by it.

I suppose rock hasn't been around long enough for us to see the ones who live to over 100, so it probably only seems that everyone is dying young, but all the same - damn.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 14:26
Masterpiece

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 13:43
I love all five Talk Talk LP's. And then there's the Hollis solo album (which is amazing too.)

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2019 at 09:01
Here is the last thing ever published by Mark, the only thing to surface after his solo album in 1998. I think this was 2012. It's somewhat different from the last two Talk Talk albums and his solo album but it certainly sounds like him and given its purpose I think it's great.
Rumour has it that there's some further unreleased music meant for a soundtrack by him flying around somewhere, maybe there's more to hear. So sad that the man himself can't decide anymore to go back into music.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 12:50
Colour of Spring was my favorite ...though Eden and Laughing Stock are also brilliant in a different more minimalist manner. And as already pointed out here and on another thread there are some great tracks from the earlier albums.
RIP Mr Hollis
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 12:27
sad news I saw in NYT when reading a different obituary
He was a very private person apparently
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 12:01
So sad about this. Thanks for the music Mark and RIP!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 05:37
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

if you havent heard it yet i reccomend "The Colour of Spring" and it has some elemnts of the previous ywt also phat bass lines.

I'll be picking it up, I'm really enjoying the last two and as usual surprised with myself for not picking them up earlier.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Oganesson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oganesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 03:15
Finally got myself to listen to Spirit of Eden today.

Loved that album, especially the tranquil ambience that it gives out. I'm going to give it a few more listens to fully comprehend it.

It's a shame Mark Hollis died. RIP
"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future." - Dan Quayle

Reach out as forward tastes begin to enter you...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 02:50
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; : rgb225, 225, 217;">Never got around to getting any TT, this finally prodded me to get Spirit Of Eden & Laughing Stock & gave them both a proper listen on headphones today. There's a hell of a lot of depth, complexity and beauty on those. </span>

Finally a Micky reco I've followed ;)<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; : rgb225, 225, 217;"><br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; : rgb225, 225, 217;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; : rgb225, 225, 217;">Sad news RIP.</span>
if you havent heard it yet i reccomend "The Colour of Spring" and it has some elemnts of the previous ywt also phat bass lines.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 02:34
I'm so sad to read that. The man was unique. Good bye Mark, we'll take care of your music.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 23:11
On tonight's episode of Late Night With Seth Meyers, the 8G Band is playing Talk Talk songs in tribute. Clap
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 14:30
^ Indeed, true art !

On a side note - I included today in the DB the tribute album from 2012 "Spirit of Talk Talk" with 30 songs covered by several bands/artists, never listened but will try to (bandcamp or youtube have only very few)

Edited by Quinino - February 27 2019 at 14:32
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 14:15
Masterpiece

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 18:28
Never got around to getting any TT, this finally prodded me to get Spirit Of Eden & Laughing Stock & gave them both a proper listen on headphones today. There's a hell of a lot of depth, complexity and beauty on those. 

Finally a Micky reco I've followed ;)

Sad news RIP.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 18:22
Heard their video for “Talk Talk” on MTV and followed their every move after. It’s My Life was played daily where I worked, but Colour of Spring seemed to be a departure. I adapted and hung around. Then Spirit of Eden came around the same time I got into prog, so I was really into that and the next one. It was hard to believe the evolution they went through. All presumably led by Mark Hollis. I’ve always had him on a pedestal for that, so hearingof his passing is kinsa sad.

Wonder what he did after his solo album...
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 16:40
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

May he rest in peace and glory to his art Heart

(Two weeks ago I was reliestening to the Montreux concert - great, great show!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNIIOr3g8lQ

Edited by jamesbaldwin - February 26 2019 at 16:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>