Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is my reaction to music different now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo's Lair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is my reaction to music different now
    Posted: February 26 2019 at 17:39
I've been looking at this for a while, and are wondering if its just me. 

I was introduced to Prog in the mid to late 70's. While I explored the albums of Yes, Genesis, Rush, Pink Floyd, I would be beside myself. My head would be blown, as I listen to the albums through Speakers and headphones...

I listen now to the old and newer bands, and although I like the albums, appreciate them..... I don't get the same excitement from them as I did when I was younger.

Is it just me?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 18:22
Of course it's not just you, and it happens to all kinds of stuff, not just music.   You age, the music ages, sometimes the two grow apart.   That said, as a veteran prog listener I have taken long breaks from the awful stuff and later come back with a renewed enthusiasm.   In other words, don't sell your CDs  ;)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 18:40
It's definitely not just you.  There is so much more music out there now than ever before and the competition in the music world makes it harder than ever for musicians to get their music out there.  I am moving into my late 50's now, and have tried to keep up with music through the years, but it does get harder.  I am trying to make it a priority to listen to new prog releases this year, and of course I picked a year that seems to be very active in the amount of new prog, but I have been pleasantly surprised with some new albums.

That being said though, I have always managed to find new bands that I get excited about, and if I keep searching, I always seem to find some great stuff that I get excited about, but sometimes that can take opening your mind to new sounds.  Also, many of the albums and artists that I didn't always like at first would grow on me with repeated listening, and the ones that took longer to grow on me are the ones that have been endearing to me the longest.  New bands that I discovered from 2000 - 2009 are now considered to be just as good as many of the one's in the 70s both in my life and in prog circles.  Examples are Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Kayo Dot, Primus and so on, so sometimes it just takes time.  Sometimes it just takes a willingness to take the time to give newer music the same chance we have given the classics.  And nowadays, you have to search through a lot more artists to find the ones that appeal to you. 

And Sometimes, our tastes change and adjust.  As Atavachron said, Don't sell your CDs.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 21:22
Not really.

Certainly, there is the "first-time" effect that makes many things (not just music) special.

But no, music is as important to me now as it ever was. I love my favorite albums just as much, and I am finding new things to love all the time. I'm more of a rock fan than a prog fan these days, so that probably helps, and I also enjoy discovering "new" old music as well as new music.  I'm into lounge music, religious chant, lots of stuff.

Music remains more than entertainment to me. It is crucial to my well-being, helping me deal with anxiety and difficult times of loss. I'd be lost without it.

Live music on the other hand, I'm done with. I don't get into crowds of people or urban areas anymore. I just love recorded music.  Nor do I wish to damage my hearing further, I won't risk that. Hundreds of rock concerts over the decades have cost me dearly, as has playing in a band myself.  So stupid I was not to wear the earplugs. 

Edited by Finnforest - February 26 2019 at 21:23

Polo's Lair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo's Lair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 21:34
Don't get me wrong....I still like some of the new stuff and well as the old albums. I think a bit of it is that there is so much to go through, and where we had patience to continue playing an album to get into it, now we only seem to give is a short time to capture the magic. Maybe life has changed.

Also I have also lost some hearing and have anxiety, and music still relaxes me... I'm not sure I could stop listening, and still; love it.

I'm talking about losing the same enthusiasm, and excitement I had in hearing an album back when I was 15 to about 30.  

Maybe its as simple as applying more leisure time to just lying back and listening?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 01:04
No, of course it's not just you. It's part of ageing.

I feel this frequently. Things lose their 'wow!' factor when you age. What blows your mind at 18, merely induces an approving twitch of the eye brow at 50.

As a teen, I had Rush and Genesis songs going round my head all day long. It was hard to concentrate at times. I would marvel at how mere mortals could make something so beautiful that resonated with me so profoundly. Nowadays, yes I still love these bands and enjoy their music, but come to see them as just guys who had some talent, got their sh*t together, and were lucky enough to have their ducks line up for them. They weren't wizards. They were clever, lucky hippies.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 06:44
I realize I become more self-aware, and can better explain what I want.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 06:59
I still get excited about new music and old music that I'm discovering for the first time. Some of it blows my mind. 
What's different for me is that most of the stuff I liked a lot as a teenager/young adult gets listened to with far less frequency, sometimes rarely or not at all, 30+ years later. 

And as others have said in this thread, it's not just music. It extends to other forms of entertainment as well. People go through life and their tastes change. I see it as a good thing too as it often leads to new discoveries and experiences but I do sometimes lament the fact that I can't just be perfectly content to listen to Rush or Kings X for hours on end anymore. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 08:50
I think one way or another, it happens to everyone. I've love progressive music all my life, and the enthusiasm I had in my younger days, eventually morphed into a deeper appreciation for music in general. I went from a hard core fanatic, to understanding and accepting other forms of music, which in turn, helped me appreciate better the music of the older bands, and the approach of the newer artists. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 05:50
Hi,

This is something that I am totally different than most ... I'm a writer, and also do film and music reviews. 

As a writer of poetry, short stories and novels, I simply follow my "inner movie" and it has nothing to do with the outside world, as most of this work is "written" in my dreams, and any issues get resolved there, the next day or night.

Film and Music reviews, require a reasonable attention and knowledge to the history of the art form, something that many top ten folks fail to make use of at times when discussing "progressive" this or that. Something similar to this, because it is, like the best things in the history of the arts, something that often requires your ear tuning to it ... not the other way around ... a lot of the arts have been like this for hundreds of years, and often the current one is not liked but the old one is.

In my case, believe it or not, I'm all VISUAL ... all the arts trigger images and stories and memories and what not, and these (for me) are ageless and often way out there in nowhere land. As such, when you think about it, each time I hear this or that piece of music, a new visual comes up ... regardless of the lyrics ... it's as if the same story and song, now has a completely different back-set and lights in it, which creates a NEW experience for my imagination.

I have examples of this, and how vivid and real, some things can be. Check out my review of the WALL here on this site ... it is a comparative study between the original WALL and then the 2nd one that Roger toured ... and while it is a massive thing that all rock fans should see ... you'll likely never see another "show" that well represented, other than just a basic rock music with cheap lights ... that are not even in sync with the music at all!

All in all, I still cry when I hear ... When the Music is Over ... or Close to the Edge ... or Yeti ... or just recently on an Italian tour film I had never seen by AD2, they did "Apocaliptyc Bore" ... my theme song if you will ... and I cried again ... I know what it meant to me, and still does ... that will never die.

I get concerned when I think that people don't seem to enjoy things as much now as they did then ... maybe you don't have the joint or the acid with you, that helped so much of the music come alive ... but I have to tell you that I enjoyed the music a lot more without the joint and the drink, than otherwise, and that includes today.

I think, and I certainly show it you could say, that I have a soft heart for those days ... the "revolution" meant a lot to me, and the artists that VOICED our concerns were true to their spirit and they fought a good fight ... and eventually were still run down by the media. Today, a lot of that same media still looks at those days as hippies are dirty, the drugs are bad (like the medical and pharmaceutical is not!), and too many of this and that looked stoned, and we (sometimes) still think that it was more fun than now ... I have to tell you that at 68, I am having more fun than I did at 28 and enjoying a joint now and then until I quit it all some 40 years ago!

As a writer/artist, I would caution you into thinking that you are not as happy now, and that the music is not as exciting ... the music is still there ... your mind isn't, and your accepting of it then, is different than what you accept now ... and this is the main reason why silly stuff like bar room this and that, and insipid and "media deranged" kind of songs that made it big, were never my likes ... so all I had to look for ward to in life was getting drunk on Saturday Night and then have a headache Sunday Morning ... and that supposedly made the music better?

Maybe we just woke up ... from the things we didn't like, and the music was an escape ... well, music was never an escape for me ... it was the leading LIGHT along with all the arts ... and that means that silly pop song hits about bars and girls ... were not for me!

So what is it, that you are really missing? The music, the film, the art ... is all still there ... and the common denominator is YOU ... even GONG was telling us that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 08:52
Not me! I still get all excited and giddy listening to a new piece of music that speaks to me.

Same as when I was a kid but I have a deeper understanding of music and music theory so that actually makes the listening experience even better.

But I'm definitely an 18 year old trapped in a 56 year old man's body.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 11:44
As already mentioned ..we age and change....it's normal.
Some of the old things still excite me when listening especially if it's been awhile since playing them...others not so much. I enjoy discovering both new prog bands and old ones I never heard of back in the day....mostly older obscure ones (1969-1979)..I'm always on the look out for those.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 06:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

As already mentioned ..we age and change....it's normal.
Some of the old things still excite me when listening especially if it's been awhile since playing them...others not so much. I enjoy discovering both new prog bands and old ones I never heard of back in the day....mostly older obscure ones (1969-1979)..I'm always on the look out for those.

Someone just twitted yesterday on a list of krautrock albums ... and goodness gracious ... I have not heard about 6 or 7 of them at all ... but the list is off center ... it lists AD1 and ignores AD2 ... and AD1 was not quite a music group ... it was a nice trip on an evening with everyone getting stoned druming and playing ... and later getting laid, more than likely. (Here comes Phallus Dei in the next year!)

Edited by moshkito - March 01 2019 at 06:21
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 11:23
I saw that list....amazing that after all this time there are still things I never  heard of.....it's fun to investigate those bands.
:)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 13:58
This is what science saying, even though they researched among Spotify users only
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 19:28
Well for me I still get excited about new releases.  There is a lot great stuff happening.  These days I am taking a chronological excursion through my collection.  The year is 1996 and I have my latest acquisitions in high circulation which includes some Jethro Tull 5.1 remasters which are most excellent.  The inner books are awesome.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 19:32
Someone just twitted yesterday 

Personally I refuse to twit as long as Twitler uses it as his main means of miscommunication....
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 19:43
What's sad is when someone doesn't allow themself to evolve musically, still listening only to what they did when they were seventeen.  That's a shame.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 21:00
It's only you. I still cream my pants every time i watch an episode of Scooby Doo.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 21:39
I think maybe when you become really familiar with the music it loses it's excitement because you've heard it a lot. I will never be as blown away listening to relayer as when I first heard it even though I still think it's a great album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>