Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is my reaction to music different now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 21:58
I have the same thing but I'm not sure whether it's because I had brain damage then or have brain damage now

Edited by Triceratopsoil - March 01 2019 at 21:58
Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jzrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 13:01
I still get blown away from new music.I would say that is less frequent than when I was a teenager.
There is also the next level down which is finding great music you really like that is not making you giddy but still enjoyable to the point you have it in your listening rotation for a while.
I do listen to a lot of music and am always on the lookout for new music.
However it is interesting that the new music I like is almost always a derivative of the music I listened to from my youth
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 00:08
In hindsight I admit I grew up really privileged being stuck in a corner of the world (Windhoek, Namibia) where it was very difficult to get hold of good records. Whenever I managed to buy of one of the few LPs (and later CDs) that every blue moon trickled into our local record store, it was something rather special. With a collection at home consisting of probably only 30 to 40 albums at that stage, every album was kind of a treasure and collector’s item. Nowadays with having access to millions of titles on the touch of a button it is hard to feel that excitement over a new discovery.
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 12:15
Originally posted by King Manuel King Manuel wrote:

In hindsight I admit I grew up really privileged being stuck in a corner of the world (Windhoek, Namibia) where it was very difficult to get hold of good records. Whenever I managed to buy of one of the few LPs (and later CDs) that every blue moon trickled into our local record store, it was something rather special. With a collection at home consisting of probably only 30 to 40 albums at that stage, every album was kind of a treasure and collector’s item. Nowadays with having access to millions of titles on the touch of a button it is hard to feel that excitement over a new discovery.

I somewhat agree with you. Having limited access to new music (especially records back then) did also affect how we felt about an album. They were treasured like gold dust and had a bigger value than something that is neither here nor there.

Also, as we change mentally, we changed our perception of something we liked. For example, Pink Floyd to me was like an adopted family member for at least 10 years of my life. However, I now hardly listen to them at all, aside from anything new Dave Gilmore releases or DSOTM. 

However, the good news about the digital age, is that i am again excited about finding new music as much or even more so, as i was when i was young. The only difference is that i now have access to literally millions of artists to choose from rather than a handful at the record store or what the radio played. 

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 14:20
I have recently encountered older prog fans who have said that as they get older they find themselves liking heavier stuff(even prog metal)more. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder how common that is. I'll admit that I was a teen during the height of heavy metal but not into it much at all then but I find myself getting more into metal and other heavier stuff over the past several years. I'll never prefer metal over prog but I find myself liking it much more than I used to.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 14:26

Totally.   Less is more, we're richer when we're poorer, and don't appreciate things as much when there is so much of it.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 17:07
Originally posted by Polo's Lair Polo's Lair wrote:

Don't get me wrong....I still like some of the new stuff and well as the old albums. I think a bit of it is that there is so much to go through, and where we had patience to continue playing an album to get into it, now we only seem to give is a short time to capture the magic. Maybe life has changed.

Also I have also lost some hearing and have anxiety, and music still relaxes me... I'm not sure I could stop listening, and still; love it.

I'm talking about losing the same enthusiasm, and excitement I had in hearing an album back when I was 15 to about 30.  

Maybe its as simple as applying more leisure time to just lying back and listening?

What you are touching on here is the times we live in.......A time of convenience. And music has also suffered from this, both the making of music and listening to it. For the most part music artists today don't plan, write, record, produce and issue albums like they did back in the day.
You basically answer your question by stating "...where we had patience to continue playing an album to get into it, now we only seem to give is a short time to capture the magic."

Bands nowadays create albums via email and the cloud, recording all the parts individually at different times and then mixing them together, rather than recording the music live in the studio where the magic happens as one cohesive group and feeding off each other as they play. What I tend to hear is wayyyyy too much perfection in albums today, too sterile and clinical and with no emotion.

This is not 100%, but certainly a heck of a lot more today than there ever has been, you are simply "hearing" these differences and your brain and body are reacting to it. For this reason I will never stop going to see live music, live music is where the emotion is because the band is playing together, at the same time and are feeding off each other and you can see their emotions coming thru. For sure back in the day I never wore ear protection, but for the past 5-6 yrs now I have been and it helps. My wife is vertically challenged, so we tend to go early so she can be upfront which means it is loud, but she can see LOL.

It's also how you chose to listen to your music at home. I have a dedicated music room, and I don't bother anyone when I listen and they don't bother me. My full attention is on my music, I have a comfy sofa in front of my speakers and I smile a lot when I listen, as well as get emotional on occasion.

Your right though, we don't listen to music like we used to. Have you listened to all 4 sides of Can~Tago Mago without interruption and your undivided attention? It's pretty special......  
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 04:51
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I have recently encountered older prog fans who have said that as they get older they find themselves liking heavier stuff(even prog metal)more. Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder how common that is. I'll admit that I was a teen during the height of heavy metal but not into it much at all then but I find myself getting more into metal and other heavier stuff over the past several years. I'll never prefer metal over prog but I find myself liking it much more than I used to.

With me it is rather the other way around. In my teens I was most of the times a metal head. The release of Dream Theater´s When Dream and Day Unite backj in 1989 exposed me to more progressive mucis. Not much later I was listening to Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush and Asia. Another Prog Metal band I got into during the 90s was Shadow Gallery.
Nowadadys I find myself listening less and less to the heavy stuff and also less to Prog Rock in generall.  Instead over the last few years I have explored othere genres and even started to love Country Music. Of course Prog is still regularly on my playlist, but not as much anymore as for example  five or ten years ago.

Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 07:26
I no longer get that feeling that the last good album I listened to is the best piece of music ever recorded, but still enjoy finding new things to hear, some of which can be quite exciting. Well, old things I had ignored preferably, such as 20th Century Avant Garde Classical and the last 30 years of Tangerine Dream - then there's no shortage of recordings I can hoover up cheap Tongue.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 07:50

With me it is rather the other way around. In my teens I was most of the times a metal head. The release of Dream Theater´s When Dream and Day Unite backj in 1989 exposed me to more progressive mucis. Not much later I was listening to Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush and Asia. Another Prog Metal band I got into during the 90s was Shadow Gallery.
Nowadadys I find myself listening less and less to the heavy stuff and also less to Prog Rock in generall.  Instead over the last few years I have explored othere genres and even started to love Country Music. Of course Prog is still regularly on my playlist, but not as much anymore as for example  five or ten years ago.

I was also a metalhead in the 80s, but the likes of King's X, IQ and early DT moved me into listening to more proggy music.  I then went through a very dark phase (Britpop/Indie), which I tried to like but didn't really (I try to forget that I did this!).  Eventually I got hold of Genesis' Platinum Collection and that opened me up to trying so much more prog!!!  But in the last few years I've gone back to trying a lot of metal, mainly newer stuff, and it's all down to trying Ayreon for the first timeSmile
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 08:10
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

I was also a metalhead in the 80s, but the likes of King's X, IQ and early DT moved me into listening to more proggy music. I then went through a very dark phase (Britpop/Indie), which I tried to like but didn't really (I try to forget that I did this!).

That was bad luck, I enjoyed listening to much thrash metal, industrial, grunge and stuff in the 90s. Particularly after a brain shaped CD wrecked my car stereo and when I complained to Earache Records they very kindly sent me a large parcel of their releases Big smile.

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 09:41
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

What you are touching on here is the times we live in.......A time of convenience. And music has also suffered from this, both the making of music and listening to it. For the most part music artists today don't plan, write, record, produce and issue albums like they did back in the day.

Agreed ... and people today, even when discussing "progressive" or anything else, do not recognize, or even appreciate that the amount of money needed for a recording studio in 1970 was prohibitive to 90 out of 100 bands (probably more) and that meant ... that if you went to the studio, you better be rehearsed, and have your piece of music planned out and written and ready to record ... 

Of course, nowadays ... who cares ... you turn on your DAW, that you paid $49 bux for and then you post it on the tube and immediately say that you are a professional! I would like to suggest that 90 out of 100 of those DAW things are not great ... many are very good and probably a really good audition tape, but a "professional" this or that?

No way!

But you can find a lot of "self-made" folks out there, that started on their own garage, and "made it", by recording everything themselves, and learning the ins and outs of it all ... just look at Steven Wilson, selling cassettes for a band with a name ... a band that did not exist yet!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 10:05
Originally posted by Polo's Lair Polo's Lair wrote:

Don't get me wrong....I still like some of the new stuff and well as the old albums. I think a bit of it is that there is so much to go through, and where we had patience to continue playing an album to get into it, now we only seem to give is a short time to capture the magic. Maybe life has changed.

Also I have also lost some hearing and have anxiety, and music still relaxes me... I'm not sure I could stop listening, and still; love it.

I'm talking about losing the same enthusiasm, and excitement I had in hearing an album back when I was 15 to about 30.  

Maybe its as simple as applying more leisure time to just lying back and listening?

I am not as old as you, not nearly, but I hear you about there being so much to go through.  So what I have done is to simply reduce the new albums I explore to a trickle.  That way, when I do find something that really excites me, I get enough time to listen to it over and over. I just shut myself out of the FOMO syndrome.  There is going to be music I don't get to and that's ok.  What's more important is I am able to enjoy what I do listen to.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 13:41
Back in the 70's if you were to get a recording and distribution deal you had to be a really good band. Mediocre and mid-level bands simply did not get to have their music released for the most part.
So among the good ones there were the great ones.

Nowadays every band or one-man band can record and publish their music and put it on bandcamp or spotify or the Tube. So you have to dig and go through much more mediocre music (well played and very well recorded, but mediocre music after all) to find the few gems.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 00:56

Interesting as I do like Haken , Animals As Leaders and occasionally some random Prog metal act. I never liked metal very much , not even Iron Maiden , but that may be more because of lack of information. I was ( an still am) a real prog snob so the term 'prog metal' (which never use to exist - it was either Hard Rock , Heavy Metal or Prog Rock) makes me want to take it seriously , so I do!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 09:29
Prog metal started(officially at least)in the 80's although I suspect most didn't become familiar with the term until the 90's and the success of Dream Theater. 
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 13:17
There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,
The earth, and every common sight,
To me did seem
Apparelled in celestial light,
The glory and the freshness of a dream.
It is not now as it hath been of yore;—
Turn wheresoe'er I may,
By night or day.
The things which I have seen I now can see no more.

- Worsdworth
   from  Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood

Edited by Braka - March 22 2019 at 13:18
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 15:49

Me too, I like Haken quite a lot and actually would prefer if Riverside returned to their more metal sound of ADHD. Although I have not been into DT as much but this has to do with the new material which is not resonating with me anymore.
I have always been into metal but not the thrashy stuff, Metallica was never a regular for me nor stuff like Slayer Thumbs Down. NWOBHM was more my thang......Saxon, Maiden, Priest as well as Scorpions, Krokus. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 17:09
Well obviously because there is something wrong with you... Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12