Poll Question: Just wondering ....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [55.17%]
13 [44.83%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: are Toto prog related ?
    Posted: February 28 2019 at 22:43
Seeing Toto a few times live they seem pretty accomplished and proggy at times, so I was just wondering if we should base our opinions strictly on studio releases and consider each artist live as well.  

Edited by Enchant X - March 01 2019 at 07:09
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 22:53
Considering how many prog acts they have touched together and apart. And considering some of their longer songs, I would DEFINITELY say they are prog.  I saw them double billed with Yes (with john davison singing and billy sherwood playing bass in Yes) and I saw a lot of people leave the Yes show.  Being a lifelong Yes fan, I was completely disappointed, but the Toto show was INCREDIBLE.  Need proof?  Listen to the song Hydra, or the latest Toto XIV album.  You'll vote YES here after that!
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 23:25
prog related - yes. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 00:15
no
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 07:44
I would considered them for prog related at least. If bands like Iron Maiden, Santana, Metallica and others have made it, certainly they have a spot in the wide range of prog music.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 08:16
Prog-related at best . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 08:23
Jeff Porcaro plays one song on the Wall, and they all have played with prog legend albums. They also have similar sophistication of Steely Dan, except they got a heavyer edge becouse of Lukes influence.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 08:36
Definitely prog releated.  Some of their earlier material was prog based and the Porcaros have worked with other prog bands.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 08:50
Prog-related? Sure. But something doesn't have to be "prog" for me to like it.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 08:59
Most proggy album by Toto:

1) Hydra
2) I
3) Falling in Between.
4) Turn Back

The others? I would say no.

If we consider the beginning, yes, prog related.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 09:00
Anyway, 

Dave Matthews Band (Before These Crowded Street is perfect Crossover Prog)
and Shawn Phillips are more prog related than Toto. 

And they're not here in PA.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 10:03
While I think that Toto has some Prog relation (both musically, say on Hydra, and in terms of involvement with Prog musicians), that doesn't mean that I think that it should be included in Prog Archives. I'm not familiar with the "live" work.

By the way, while I have heard Hydra and a smattering of Toto tracks, the only album I have owned which would fall under Toto's discography is the Dune soundtrack -- Brian Eno's "Prophecy Theme" would my favourite off it, although I am very partial to "Take My Hand" even if it is rather schmaltzy.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 19:07
For me only for the Dune sountrack heheheh.   Which BTW is the only Toto album I have.  On a side note from the same year I also have my only Eurythmics album - the 1984 soundtrack which I also find progressive.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 01 2019 at 19:10
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 19:34
Yep, HYDRA was their crossover prog album but really the only one. Sounds sorta like Steely Dan meets Saga. Not sure it's enough for anyone to add them to the site though because they are still primarily based in pop and funk and hard rock with progressive to touches. You'd have to convince an admin and i hear prog related is a very hard category to push through these days. Personally i can live without them here. When i think of TOTO i can only think of "Africa" and "Rosanna."

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2019 at 01:32
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

no

I would prefer they're not in here as well.

Are they "prog"?? certainly not

Are they "proggy"?? IMHO, no

Do they have proggy moments?? Well even The Rolling Stones, do!!

Let's get The Stones in the PA DB before these studio rats. TongueWink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 19:59
Actually, I'm surprised they aren't already on here as prog related. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 21:10
Not only Hydra contains prog songs: here Girl Goodbye from Toto I

Edited by jamesbaldwin - March 03 2019 at 21:11
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 22:07
The band once played in Wichita, and then flew to St. Louis. I guess you could say Toto wasn't in Kansas anymore.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 22:27
Dorothy says. "How can you not add something so cute?"

Featured image

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 22:37
Girl Goodbye has very catchy drum and bass guitar work, keys aren't bad either there are several prog related moments in totos discography but just not enough to make them prog related, but I'm glad I've seen them live a few times , they like to indulge a lot more in the area of prog related when playing live obviously amazing musicians.  

Edited by Enchant X - March 04 2019 at 04:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>