Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Movies of 1960?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Movies of 1960?
    Posted: March 02 2019 at 17:44
Two Women
Le Trou
Never On Sunday
Elmer Gantry
Rocco and His Brothers
Eyes Without a Face
Kapo
Peeping Tom
Late Autumn
Spartacus
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
Home from the Hill
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 04:35
The Great Escape
Le Clan des Siciliens
Doctor Zhivago
Night of the Generals
Where Eagles Dare
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Bullit

and many others, I'll get back to it.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 05:24
The Apartment
The Bellboy
Cimarron
Exodus
Psycho
The Magnificent Seven
The Time Machine
Spartacus
Village of the Damned
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 06:35
ahhh..

the kid in me..  The Magnificent Seven
the teenager in me - Psycho

but my vote goes to the adult in me - Elmer Gantry

what a decade for movies.. it only got better from here.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2019 at 06:54
Village of the Damned
Eyes Without a Face
L'Avventura
Elmer Gantry
The Bad Sleep Well
The 1,000 Eyes of Dr. Mabuse
Black Sunday
Rocco and His Brothers
The Devil's Eye
La Dolce Vita
The Magnificent Seven
Breathless
Psycho
The Little Shop of Horrors
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 02:08
The Apartment is probably my favourite, though I have a soft spot for Inherit the Wind.
Bigger on the inside.
adityagupta View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adityagupta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 19:57
Late Autumn is my best favourite. Expecially Tang Wei's acting skill is excellent, her hard English learning. What's more, I do love to know more background of film, like the article: The Chinese-Korean co-production pact: collaborative encounters and the accelerating expansion of Chinese cinema 

Edited by adityagupta - May 16 2019 at 19:59
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 01:34
Andrei Rublev
Le feu follet
Heaven and Hell
Week-end
Repulsion
Kaidan
Easy Rider

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 03:08
MortSahlFan only mentioned movies from 1960, not from the 60s, so I will do the same. I would like to add La Dolce Vita (the most important film from 1960; how could you forget that one?), Five Branded Women (star ensemble featuring Silvana Mangano, Jeanne Moreau, Vera Miles, Barbara Bel Geddes and Carla Gravina as the women in the title), The Unforgiven and Девети круг (The Ninth Circle).

Edited by BaldFriede - May 17 2019 at 03:10

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 05:49
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

MortSahlFan only mentioned movies from 1960, not from the 60s, so I will do the same. I would like to add La Dolce Vita (the most important film from 1960; how could you forget that one?), Five Branded Women (star ensemble featuring Silvana Mangano, Jeanne Moreau, Vera Miles, Barbara Bel Geddes and Carla Gravina as the women in the title), The Unforgiven and Девети круг (The Ninth Circle).

Its not in my Top 10, would make #11... I loved earlier Fellini (La Strada, especially). I must say, I've seen "La Dolce Vita" four times, and I feel different about it every time.

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 05:59
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

MortSahlFan only mentioned movies from 1960, not from the 60s
whoops
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 06:28
When I think 1960, I think of L'Avventura before any other film. Lots of other goodies though.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 06:35
Hi,

It's a sad list for me ... when the video stores were around, many of them had old videos and such of many of these films and there was a chance to see them. Nowadays, the internet is making the ability to see and find these really difficult ... one website has 1 film, the other has 2 films and another has 2 other films and they all want an obscene amount of money for films that are NOW in the public domain for the most part.

I've reviewed a lot of these films, because it is what I was brought up on, but it's a total bummer for me, that Netflix, or anything else, does not have a "historical" view of many of these films, and sadly, I can not afford any of these websites. I kinda rely on used DVD's on Amazon, when I get lucky!

Some nice stuff ... Bunuel's Viridiana should be listed here, however it was not "released" until it was shown in Cannes (I think) in 1961, and that gave it the next year.

Never on Sunday is very nice, and gave us Jules Dassin and Melina Mercouri, and it kinda helped put Greece in the world cinema thing. It wasn't great, but it was different.

Spartacus/Doctor Zhivago/Bullit are all excellent in their own way. Doctor Zhivago, of course for its magnificent music that helped carry it to several Oscars. Bullit for its impressive cinematography (William A Fraker) who had a very impressive career. 

The Apartment was probably Billy Wilder's greatest film, though this is hard to say since he had such an incredible number of films.

Black Sunday, the original Mario Bava film with Barbara Steele in black and white. Quite moody!

La Dolce Vita and Breathless are both a part of the "new" age and wave of film in Europe that was bringing up the likes of Truffaut, Godard, Fellini, Antonioni ... and while these might not be "great" films, you will find in them a lot of ad lib and free form stuff that helped the new age of film a lot ... it's subtle, and not always obvious, but it's all there, specially the ad lib'ing.

Andrei Rublev. Very long film, but nicely done. It's considered somewhat a "classic" Russian film, although I am not sure that the designation fits.

Easy Rider. The anti-film made it big and was worth every bit of it. A true classic, and one of the greatest snapshots of America you will ever find ... EVEN TODAY!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 07:10
"Ace in the Hole" is my favorite Billy Wilder. Or similar movies like "A Face in the Crowd", "Network"..
Also loved Sunset Boulevard and The Lost Weekend. Liked a couple others.

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:07
Spartacus
The Great Escape
Fail Safe
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
Cool Hand Luke
The Magnificent Seven 
Easy Rider
Night of the Living Dead
The Sand Pebbles

Probably a bunch more I'm forgetting...

Edited by Argo2112 - May 17 2019 at 09:10
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 12:59
Psycho
Peeping Tom
Eyes Without A Face

Good year for groundbreaking horror films. 
 Post Reply Post Reply